• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Coming back to vinyl?

jlm86

Active Member
Having remorse I dumped my record collection 8 years ago..
but now I'm thinking about coming back into vinyl only have about 50 records and would turntable etc..

Thoughts?

Existing....
Denon avr 3600x
JBL 530 w/ HSU vtf-15 sub
 
Register to hide this ad
$400 can get you a really nice vintage endgame table.

Not for sale, but a bit of patience searching eBay and you'll be spinning those records sooner than you think on something like this Direct Drive Kenwood. Great options from Denon, JVC, Yamaha, etc as well.
20190428_112137.jpg
 
$400 can get you a really nice vintage endgame table.
can't by that much table for 4 bills, maybe three bills twice one for the table one for the arm and then some cartridge. but that is a discussion for $ & ¢ not this thread. But something that looks similar, a nice KD-5070 would work
 
I'm pleased so far with my Fluance RT 84, blue ortofon cartridge, and I put the cork platter mat on it..
Starting over with vinyl, my latest additions.. Beth Hart/Joe Bonomassa Dont Explain, Steeldrivers Reckless, and Hugh Laurie Didnt it Rain...
 
Having remorse I dumped my record collection 8 years ago..
but now I'm thinking about coming back into vinyl only have about 50 records and would turntable etc..

Thoughts?

Existing....
Denon avr 3600x
JBL 530 w/ HSU vtf-15 sub

1990 I took all my 150 LPs to my local record store to sell. The owner went through them and picked out about 10 he wanted to buy. He made me an offer end I told him $100 for all or he couldn’t buy any. He passed! I took them home and put them in a closet where they stayed until about the year 2005 when I bought another Turntable. The collection has grow to about 500 and they are one of my pride and joys.
 
can't by that much table for 4 bills, maybe three bills twice one for the table one for the arm and then some cartridge. but that is a discussion for $ & ¢ not this thread. But something that looks similar, a nice KD-5070 would work

Recently helped a member locate an absolutely pristine KD550 with the box and all papers for that, just takes a bit of patience. Not long ago a KD770D for $345, the deals are still out there if willing to look.

It's only a rule violation if trying to sell him the table, I'm not.
 
KD550 with the box and all papers for that
The arm on the 550 is not a Grace. Sure you can find tables. My 600 came with a Koetsu Black and Fidelity Research FR-64s for 300 and I spent more to buy the preamp, power supply and phono amp to go with it for a total of 375. Picked up the three cabinets that should have come along a few months later.

The deals are out there but they are getting harder to find and one needs to know what to look for. That last part might be key as those in the know are answering an ad and going to get while others are asking on ak if it is a deal.
 
The arm on the 550 is not a Grace. Sure you can find tables. My 600 came with a Koetsu Black and Fidelity Research FR-64s for 300 and I spent more to buy the preamp, power supply and phono amp to go with it for a total of 375. Picked up the three cabinets that should have come along a few months later.

The deals are out there but they are getting harder to find and one needs to know what to look for. That last part might be key as those in the know are answering an ad and going to get while others are asking on ak if it is a deal.

You're right it's not a Grace, but it's no slouch, and many are asking double that for the 550, without the original box and manuals, or in the as new pristine condition of this table.

This was just a few weeks ago, $400 was a steel.

a couple of pictures of the table
Screenshot_20201107-221006.png

Screenshot_20201107-220944.png

Screenshot_20201107-220953.png

Screenshot_20201107-221015.png

Also came with an inexpensive ADC cartridge

My secret is I'm willing to use eBay.
 
Last edited:
1990 I took all my 150 LPs to my local record store to sell. The owner went through them and picked out about 10 he wanted to buy. He made me an offer end I told him $100 for all or he couldn’t buy any. He passed! .
Of course.
I had about 100 a few years ago. Did the same thing. I was happy to get 20.00.
 
1990 I took all my 150 LPs to my local record store to sell. The owner went through them and picked out about 10 he wanted to buy. He made me an offer end I told him $100 for all or he couldn’t buy any. He passed! I took them home and put them in a closet where they stayed until about the year 2005 when I bought another Turntable. The collection has grow to about 500 and they are one of my pride and joys.

My younger brother put his NAD table in the trash and his box of records in his garage, in south Florida.

They were in there for 20yrs at least, I rescued them surprised none the worse for wear.
 
Honestly, if I didn't already have a sizable collection that I've spent all of my life building, I wouldn't bother with vinyl. It used to be a lot of fun for me to hit the used record stores, garage sales, estate sales, junk shops, etc and find really cool records on the cheap, but prices are crazy right now and to won anything like a sizable collection it is likely to cost a small fortune. Even if I were to weed out all of the LPs I have that I'm not really attached to, the cost of everything else, even if I were to buy the cheapest versions would likely be enough to buy a system far better than the one that I have... I'd probably go with some kind of digital streaming thing if I had to start from scratch at this point...
 
1990 I took all my 150 LPs to my local record store to sell. The owner went through them and picked out about 10 he wanted to buy. He made me an offer end I told him $100 for all or he couldn’t buy any. He passed! I took them home and put them in a closet where they stayed until about the year 2005 when I bought another Turntable. The collection has grow to about 500 and they are one of my pride and joys.
Nice! In a way, I envy you in that you were able to so easily part with the stuff, which admittedly I did with my cassette tape collection, which I guess that I wasn't too attached to. I'm far too much of a hoarder/collector with LPs to ever dump my collection like that. I'm old enough to have been collecting them for a number of years before the advent of CDs and then when that happened I was none to quick to start collecting them. it took working in a record store where I got promos and discounts and the fact that they started showing up used until I finally bought a player and started collecting them. I bought lots of LPs in that area when folks were dumping them to buy CDs and now it's kind of funny to me that the vice versa of that is happening. I still much prefer LPs, but I have to admit that it's mostly for reasons having nothing to do with sound quality. CDs though as small as they are and even though they're far less satisfying to deal with than LPs still are large enough to have some cover graphics and liner notes and have the advantage of sounding more or less like new no matter what the condition (OK really scratchy ones won't play, but that's a kind of extreme).
 
One need not make vinyl the predominant media to have skin in the game.

It's not always about "killin' it". It's OK if vinyl plays second fiddle to digital. Depending on your market, there are plenty enough $5-$15 records from dealers that are excellent condition. One could acquire 75-100 records and a very listenable player for under $1K. And if one wants to work harder or happens to get lucky the cost of admission could be a lot less.

The point is vinyl doesn't have to be expensive or the best sound source one has. One can still get a lot of enjoyment from it.
 
Nice! In a way, I envy you in that you were able to so easily part with the stuff, which admittedly I did with my cassette tape collection, which I guess that I wasn't too attached to. I'm far too much of a hoarder/collector with LPs to ever dump my collection like that. I'm old enough to have been collecting them for a number of years before the advent of CDs and then when that happened I was none to quick to start collecting them. it took working in a record store where I got promos and discounts and the fact that they started showing up used until I finally bought a player and started collecting them. I bought lots of LPs in that area when folks were dumping them to buy CDs and now it's kind of funny to me that the vice versa of that is happening. I still much prefer LPs, but I have to admit that it's mostly for reasons having nothing to do with sound quality. CDs though as small as they are and even though they're far less satisfying to deal with than LPs still are large enough to have some cover graphics and liner notes and have the advantage of sounding more or less like new no matter what the condition (OK really scratchy ones won't play, but that's a kind of extreme).


I still have all the CDs I bought during the big CD era. Still buy them as I see them cheap at yard and estate sales. I’ve almost filled to capacity a 400 disc Sony CD changer and have another one standing buy when the first one is full,
 
I still have all the CDs I bought during the big CD era. Still buy them as I see them cheap at yard and estate sales. I’ve almost filled to capacity a 400 disc Sony CD changer and have another one standing buy when the first one is full,
Except for a turntable that has auto return (I couldn't live without that feature!), I've mostly been kind of "anti-convenience" with my choices. I can see that a big changer like what you've got would be nice though. AS it is I have a single loader player and then my collection is mostly stored in an old (but very sturdy) dresser, which I have to pull out drawers and often pull out CDs in order to get to other CDs, which is a bit of a PIA. I do like to look at the cases and read the notes when I pick out these things and having them inside a cabinet like that means that I don't have to devote tons of wall space to shelving, which I'd rather keep clear for artwork and even just blank open expanses of wall (a cleaner look). Everything is a compromise of one sort or another though...
 
Back
Top Bottom