• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

coolest star ever

Register to hide this ad
Wow , how can they know all that for sure ...

I mean a decimal point off and who knows ,,,,,,,,

Barney
 
While I love astronomy, I am starting to find that astronomers are increasingly becoming pretentious A-holes. The part of the video I find a bit offensive is the astronomers dictate what is and what isnt a star. We have only barely scratched the surface of this universe in seeing what is out there. As technology improves, so will our discoveries. Yet these idiots go around and classify everything they see. A star that is only as hot as boiling water? Some say a star, others say no. There are things in this universe that will defy physics. Not everything out there will be able to be neatly sorted into a category. Sorry for the rant, but I am sick of these idiots telling us that what we are seeing is this or that. Its like they have these rigid rules of what everything is supposed to be and will make whatever we see fit into those rules. True astronomy means that you accept whatever you see and realize that not everything can be explained or follow your set of rules. And finally, Pluto is STILL the ninth planet in our solar system, regardless of what these dorks say.
 
I don't get your rant. They're just drawing a line between planets and stars and they are smart enough to use a pencil instead of a Sharpie. When they get enough info they'll move the line if need be, kinda like they did with Pluto.
 
While I love astronomy, I am starting to find that astronomers are increasingly becoming pretentious A-holes. The part of the video I find a bit offensive is the astronomers dictate what is and what isnt a star. We have only barely scratched the surface of this universe in seeing what is out there. As technology improves, so will our discoveries. Yet these idiots go around and classify everything they see. A star that is only as hot as boiling water? Some say a star, others say no. There are things in this universe that will defy physics. Not everything out there will be able to be neatly sorted into a category. Sorry for the rant, but I am sick of these idiots telling us that what we are seeing is this or that. Its like they have these rigid rules of what everything is supposed to be and will make whatever we see fit into those rules. True astronomy means that you accept whatever you see and realize that not everything can be explained or follow your set of rules. And finally, Pluto is STILL the ninth planet in our solar system, regardless of what these dorks say.

Isn’t that the point of scientific research? We explore the unknown and try to figure out the what and why of its existence. That includes identification and classification.

Yes, we make mistakes, but that is the nature of science. In fact, these “mistakes” can sometimes be a good thing. The null hypothesis often leads to accidental discoveries.

Things in space don’t defy physics; just our understanding of physics.
 
One thing is clear, as the years roll on and more sophisticated equipment is put into use, data is coming in at faster and faster rates. Quite alarming compared to what we had just a few decades ago. Accepted facts will be toppled and rearranged at an increasing rate as a result.
 
While I love astronomy, I am starting to find that astronomers are increasingly becoming pretentious A-holes. The part of the video I find a bit offensive is the astronomers dictate what is and what isnt a star. We have only barely scratched the surface of this universe in seeing what is out there. As technology improves, so will our discoveries. Yet these idiots go around and classify everything they see. A star that is only as hot as boiling water? Some say a star, others say no. There are things in this universe that will defy physics. Not everything out there will be able to be neatly sorted into a category. Sorry for the rant, but I am sick of these idiots telling us that what we are seeing is this or that. Its like they have these rigid rules of what everything is supposed to be and will make whatever we see fit into those rules. True astronomy means that you accept whatever you see and realize that not everything can be explained or follow your set of rules. And finally, Pluto is STILL the ninth planet in our solar system, regardless of what these dorks say.

I too don't get this rant. As jdrum1 said, nothing in space defies physics, only our understanding of them. And lets be honest, haven't you noticed that most folks deep in academe tend to be a bit pretentious? After all, if you spend decades studying something, you kinda get the feeling you know what you're talking about.

I also don't get why some of you are acting like Pluto is not a planet anymore. It is still on the books as such, just as a MINOR planet. If you wish to have it back on the books as a major planet, then don't forget to add Eris. The world found orbiting further out than Pluto and a bit larger than said planet as well. Soooo, a 10 planet system we have then.

Or if we draw the line between major and minor planet as more than 1,000 kilometers in diameter, we have a 14 planet system. Quaoar, Haumea, Makemake and Sedna are all larger than that size. If we bend the rules a little we can add Ceres back to the list as well. Remember Ceres? It USED to be a planet, listed in books and charts for decades in the 19th and early 20th century. But it too was dropped from the "major list" like Pluto. Ahh well, it has a probe headed to it as well. Should get there about the same time as New Horizons will reach Pluto. Stay tuned!
 
+1 on that .

We will just have to wait until New Horizons sends back pictures, it is projected to arrive at Pluto on July 14, 2015 .

Exciting stuff!

Showed my students the recent close-ups of Saturn’s rings (via the Spitzer iirc)…..I blew their little minds!
 
While I love astronomy, I am starting to find that astronomers are increasingly becoming pretentious A-holes. The part of the video I find a bit offensive is the astronomers dictate what is and what isnt a star. We have only barely scratched the surface of this universe in seeing what is out there. As technology improves, so will our discoveries. Yet these idiots go around and classify everything they see. A star that is only as hot as boiling water? Some say a star, others say no. There are things in this universe that will defy physics. Not everything out there will be able to be neatly sorted into a category. Sorry for the rant, but I am sick of these idiots telling us that what we are seeing is this or that. Its like they have these rigid rules of what everything is supposed to be and will make whatever we see fit into those rules. True astronomy means that you accept whatever you see and realize that not everything can be explained or follow your set of rules. And finally, Pluto is STILL the ninth planet in our solar system, regardless of what these dorks say.

Classic troll!
 
Back
Top Bottom