• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

DACs: Cheap vs Expensive

A CD player can be substandard in at least two ways:
1: Its internal DAC, obviously.
2: How well it mechanically acts as a transport.
If it is a substandard transport mechanism I don't think an external DAC will help that much, at least in my experience. Garbage In, Garbage Out.
FWIW I'm very happy with my Schitt Modius, (and I rip my CDs to a hard drive and use a Raspberry Pi for the source).
I have a JVC 6+1 changer. It works fine, and it has RCA and DAC outputs. The fact it has a DAC output is what got me to thinking about an external DAC.
 
I've had 6 DACs and still have 3 including the two cheapies. My current DAC is a Topping E30 that does HiRez and may be my destination DAC as it suits me well and allows me to listen to HiRez and DSD files. It's probably about 3 years old and I doubt I'll be upgrding unless there's a quantum leap in technology that opens new doors and provide real and noticably substantial differences to my old tired ears.

Here's a listing for the newer E 30 II version. It's very reasonably priced considering the marvelous world of HiRez streaming it opens. No affiliation and it provides musch tech info too.

Thanks for the tip and the link. Haven't decided yet but this may be the way I go.
 
Nice CD player, shame it doesn't use their K2 technology, despite that, I think you'll be surprised by how good the onboard DAC really is.
 
Try some other DAC's ..
Use your ears ..

It's all a system .. What you're listening to is limited in one way or another by every piece in the system ..
The JVC is your source component .. If the JVC"S DAC is limiting (likely) what you hear, you'll never know the potential of the rest of the system.
Try a couple DAC's that allow returns .. and I'd recommend a pair of good interconnects to go along with it ..
If everything sounds better, it'll be well worth it ..
 
Try some other DAC's ..
Use your ears ..

It's all a system .. What you're listening to is limited in one way or another by every piece in the system ..
The JVC is your source component .. If the JVC"S DAC is limiting (likely) what you hear, you'll never know the potential of the rest of the system.
Try a couple DAC's that allow returns .. and I'd recommend a pair of good interconnects to go along with it ..
If everything sounds better, it'll be well worth it ..
This limiting of potential you speak of. Is that;
-Noise
-Distortion
-Dynamic range
-Frequency response
?

Also; I couldn't find any information about the DAC in his CD transport other than it was a special JVC chip. It seems you know more about it than I could find if you think it is a bottle neck in his system.
 
This limiting of potential you speak of. Is that;
-Noise
-Distortion
-Dynamic range
-Frequency response
?

Also; I couldn't find any information about the DAC in his CD transport other than it was a special JVC chip. It seems you know more about it than I could find if you think it is a bottle neck in his system.

Garbage in ... garbage out ..
 
Last edited:
Garbage in ... garbage out ..
Of course. But that hardly answers the questions why you seem to think the existing CD player/DAC is "garbage". JVC made some pretty great CD transports.

I found the service manual for the JVC XL-M705 on freeservicemanuals.info
This is the specs. Pretty damn good. If it still holds up today it is highly unlikely that any audible advantages are gained from using another DAC.

1723618467527.png
 
I can't see how a 16bit system can have '99dB dynamic range' so I wonder how it was measured.
 
I can't see how a 16bit system can have '99dB dynamic range' so I wonder how it was measured.
Surely it means that it is technically capable of exceeding the DR of a red book CD std. so that the chip and circuit is not the limiting factor of the source. The chip is 20-bit.

1723623753205.png

I also found this post:
 
Last edited:
I would agree if the specs you showed were for the DAC chip alone. Or even for a stand-alone DAC able to accept 20bits. But clearly they're for the CD player as a whole, not the DAC chip.
 
I've listened closely to many DAC's ..
They all differ in tone, timbre, and impact ..
Depending on the resolution of the downstream, and the listener's hearing acuity, those differences may or may not count to the listener ..

Music is subtle and most of what's musically important isn't measurable with anything but an ear ..
Which measurement differentiates a Martin guitar from a Gibson ??
I can certainly hear the difference and I like a system that is good enough to reproduce those subtleties ..

Try a different DAC or three .. It's the source component that produces the details, and the rest of the system can't reproduce what isn't there. ..

(and incidentally those CD player's DAC's have been sounding different from each other since their introduction in the 80's)
 
I've listened closely to many DAC's ..
They all differ in tone, timbre, and impact ..
Depending on the resolution of the downstream, and the listener's hearing acuity, those differences may or may not count to the listener ..

Music is subtle and most of what's musically important isn't measurable with anything but an ear ..
Which measurement differentiates a Martin guitar from a Gibson ??
I can certainly hear the difference and I like a system that is good enough to reproduce those subtleties ..

Try a different DAC or three .. It's the source component that produces the details, and the rest of the system can't reproduce what isn't there. ..

(and incidentally those CD player's DAC's have been sounding different from each other since their introduction in the 80's)
Tone and timbre, being two sides of same coin, can be measured just fine. Impact.. What do you mean by this?
What's musically important is, IMO, the ability to play back the digitally stored track without colouration. Reaching certain thresholds, there are no longer any audible cues to distinguish two DACs that meet this criteria. I've tested many DACs blind and any that measured flat and had inaudible distortion and noise were not different sounding.
And we have yet to see any proper conducted blind tests that say otherwise.
When a DAC does not meet the thresholds and does not have flat frequency response then all bets are off. :)

Looking at the specs. from the JVC CD player in question leads me to assume that it is perfectly capable of transparently reproduce the same sound as other quality DACs.

P.S. I'm not doubting two different guitars sound different. It would show in a frequency response measurement.
1723633462611.png
 
I've listened closely to many DAC's ..
They all differ in tone, timbre, and impact ..
Depending on the resolution of the downstream, and the listener's hearing acuity, those differences may or may not count to the listener ..

Music is subtle and most of what's musically important isn't measurable with anything but an ear ..
Which measurement differentiates a Martin guitar from a Gibson ??
I can certainly hear the difference and I like a system that is good enough to reproduce those subtleties ..

Try a different DAC or three .. It's the source component that produces the details, and the rest of the system can't reproduce what isn't there. ..

(and incidentally those CD player's DAC's have been sounding different from each other since their introduction in the 80's)

yes, +2 for comments. The better DACs blow away any chip set you are going to find in a stand alone CD player. There are many more factors besides the chip set that impact sonics such as PS noise, clock accuracy, components used in the analog out section. It becomes one of those 2 second tests.
 
yes, +2 for comments. The better DACs blow away any chip set you are going to find in a stand alone CD player. There are many more factors besides the chip set that impact sonics such as PS noise, clock accuracy, components used in the analog out section. It becomes one of those 2 second tests.

Power supply noise; -Noise would show in measurement
Clock accuracy; -Jitter noise would show in measurement
 
One nice advantage to a separate DAC is that you can also stream in to it from another source like a phone or PC ..
Even if the DAC only has one digital in it's fairly easy to add a switch for another device ..
Most older CD players didn't have a digital input ..
 
Even if the DAC only has one digital in it's fairly easy to add a switch for another device ..
FWIW, For over 10 yrs. I`ve been using a high quality INDAY 4X1 switcher (DA4X-R) that is made on the west coast of the USA.
It can be connected either for S/DIF coax, or Toslink, with its dual input/outputs, and even will convert internally from one digital signal type to the other (S/PDIF coax plugged into its inputs and Toslink used for it selected output, or vise versa), though I`ve never used that function, but only use it to switch between my 4 S/PDIF coax digital music sources to my excellent sounding Pro-Ject DAC.
Comes with a watch battery powered micro sized IR remote.
Mine hasn`t been turned off since installation, and is powered by a small SMPS wall wart.

Go to inday.com for more complete information, if interested.
I`ve recommended this HQ switcher to several A/K members since my purchase, and they have been totally satisfied with its performance, enough to thank me.
 
Back
Top Bottom