• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

DACs: Cheap vs Expensive

No digital output from that dock. So, it can't be used with an external DAC.

Will an external DAC improve the sound quality of your CD player? Probably. Buy one and find out. Return it if you don't like it.

A streamer can access all of the music that's on your computer. But if 96 CDs work better for you, great.

BTW, the music you ripped into iTunes is on your computer and can be accessed by any media player. You don't have to use iTunes to use the music.
I use ITUNES to listen to my playlists while I am on the PC. I am listening to Rod Stewart right now. I also use it to burn CDs, and use it to d/l music to my IPOD, which I may stop doing soon, depending on how all of this works out.
 
I use ITUNES to listen to my playlists while I am on the PC. I am listening to Rod Stewart right now. I also use it to burn CDs, and use it to d/l music to my IPOD, which I may stop doing soon, depending on how all of this works out.

What operating system is on your computer?
 
What operating system is on your computer?

I would recommend that you consider getting a Wiim Pro Plus. Even if you don't want to stream from the Internet, it would offer two advantages for you.

First, you could access any/all music on your PC. Much like iTunes, you can see all of it, with album art and other metadata, and search by artist, genre, etc. You can play, pause, skip...all of the usual controls. You can even control volume.

Second, you can connect your CD player's optical output (if it has one) and use the Wiim's excellent internal DAC instead of the one in the CD player.

And, if you ever want to just give streaming from the Internet a try (there's plenty of free music out there.

But, there are several caveats. All have been mentioned, but to reiterate:

1. You need a local network, which I would bet you have.
2. You need a device to serve as your remote control.
3. To connect the CD player, it must have an optical output.

Alternatively, just stick to you iPod and CD player, and if itching to try a DAC get a Modi for the CD player. You have 30 days to return it via Amazon. Not sure how long if purchased directly from Schiit.
 
I would recommend that you consider getting a Wiim Pro Plus. Even if you don't want to stream from the Internet, it would offer two advantages for you.

First, you could access any/all music on your PC. Much like iTunes, you can see all of it, with album art and other metadata, and search by artist, genre, etc. You can play, pause, skip...all of the usual controls. You can even control volume.

Second, you can connect your CD player's optical output (if it has one) and use the Wiim's excellent internal DAC instead of the one in the CD player.

And, if you ever want to just give streaming from the Internet a try (there's plenty of free music out there.

But, there are several caveats. All have been mentioned, but to reiterate:

1. You need a local network, which I would bet you have.
2. You need a device to serve as your remote control.
3. To connect the CD player, it must have an optical output.

Alternatively, just stick to you iPod and CD player, and if itching to try a DAC get a Modi for the CD player. You have 30 days to return it via Amazon. Not sure how long if purchased directly from Schiit.
OK you have given me a lot to think about. Thanks
 
I needed an external DAC so I could utilize the optical output my old CD changer has, so I bought the cheapest piece of Schiit currently available and I am very happy with the results.
I guess I will give it a try. Lots for me to think about. Also..... (in a future post) I am agonizing over what new high grade cables (if any) I should get. Too much hype out there right now. Monoprice.... know anything about it ??
 
OK you have given me a lot to think about. Thanks

Your JVC has an optical output .. plug it in to the WiiM's optical in ..
You can control the streaming music from your computer, but as @spark1 noted if you want control while you're away from the computer (remote) in the music room, you would need a phone, a laptop, or a tablet ...
The very cheapest smartphone would work .. but it isn't totally necessary.. the computer will work, and so would a cheap extra laptop or Windows tablet in the music room if you want to run things from the music room.
 
Being a true dinosaur I do not have a cell phone. Land line. Used to have a rotary dial but they took it away from me. I will NEVER buy another APPLE product. They are really the first generation of Big Brother. What stone age gear do you have for your audio replay??

A Win 10 laptop ...
Has a real keyboard for big fingers to pound on and I can see the screen ..
I can use the phone but I won't .. it's a PIA ..
 
I would recommend that you consider getting a Wiim Pro Plus. Even if you don't want to stream from the Internet, it would offer two advantages for you.

First, you could access any/all music on your PC. Much like iTunes, you can see all of it, with album art and other metadata, and search by artist, genre, etc. You can play, pause, skip...all of the usual controls. You can even control volume.

Second, you can connect your CD player's optical output (if it has one) and use the Wiim's excellent internal DAC instead of the one in the CD player.

And, if you ever want to just give streaming from the Internet a try (there's plenty of free music out there.

But, there are several caveats. All have been mentioned, but to reiterate:

1. You need a local network, which I would bet you have.
2. You need a device to serve as your remote control.
3. To connect the CD player, it must have an optical output.

Alternatively, just stick to you iPod and CD player, and if itching to try a DAC get a Modi for the CD player. You have 30 days to return it via Amazon. Not sure how long if purchased directly from Schiit.

??? ...
From what I cans see the WiiM Pro and the WiiM Pro Plus use the same Win 10 app ..
I know their DAC hardware differs ..
 
What's your question ???

Why the Pro+ instead of the Pro .. Their inputs and outputs are the same.
Given that the Pro+ should have improved sonics .. different at any rate even if not improved ..
Seems like either one would fill the bill ..
 
I guess I will give it a try. Lots for me to think about. Also..... (in a future post) I am agonizing over what new high grade cables (if any) I should get. Too much hype out there right now. Monoprice.... know anything about it ??
When I asked that question about cables, the tech at Schiit recommended a basic cable available for cheap on Amazon, it works just fine. The RCA connectors I use are Monster cables that are easily 20 years old.
 
Why the Pro+ instead of the Pro .. Their inputs and outputs are the same.
Given that the Pro+ should have improved sonics .. different at any rate even if not improved ..
Seems like either one would fill the bill ..

The DAC in the Pro Plus performs significantly better in objective testing vs the one in the Pro, putting it the same performance class as the best DACs.

Given that the OP is interested in finding out if an external DAC makes a difference for him, I believe he would be better served by going with a DAC with no objective performance issues.

That said, I have found the DAC in the Pro to be just fine, and difficult to differentiate in the extended listening comparisons I've done. The two friends who did the testing with me had the same opinion.

I own 2 of each. And a Bluesound Node2i.
 
OK you have given me a lot to think about. Thanks

If you have an acquaintance, family member, etc with an old smart phone they aren't using, it would probably be able to serve as your "remote control".

Otherwise, you can find cheap Android or Fire tablets on Amazon. If you end up not liking the Wiim and therefore not needing the tablet, return them both. 30 days should be plenty of time to decide.
 
Why the Pro+ instead of the Pro .. Their inputs and outputs are the same.
Given that the Pro+ should have improved sonics .. different at any rate even if not improved ..
Seems like either one would fill the bill ..
There would be no reason other than the Plus is using a better measuring DAC.
The Pro is still transparent. It's just that the Plus has "more inaudible" noise and distortion than the Pro.

For this reason I'd recommend the cheapest of the two for @Bill Murray
 
From my thoroughly subjective listening comparisons on a high res system, I've come to the conclusion that DAC's all differ from each other sonically.
In direct comparison the differences are obvious.
Exactly like phono cartridges .. subtle differences, but indeed different flavors.
Each DAC has it's own sonic signature ..

Also, like cartridges, the measurements count to a degree, but the differences are in the listening, and the particular system combinations.

Enjoy the Music !!
 
There would be no reason other than the Plus is using a better measuring DAC.
The Pro is still transparent. It's just that the Plus has "more inaudible" noise and distortion than the Pro.

For this reason I'd recommend the cheapest of the two for @Bill Murray

Ditto ..

And I'd guess that either one will sound significantly different from the DAC in his JVC ..
Which is better ?? ... only @Bill Murray can decide ..
 
Last edited:
Ditto ..

And I'd guess that either one will sound significantly different from the DAC in his JVC ..
Which is better ?? ... only @Bill Murray can decide ..
Well, Akustic.. :)
You know I don't think there will be an audible difference between his quite good JVC player and any other DAC. And I know your position as well. So let's not haggle anymore about it in this thread. -Okay? :thumbsup:
 
Back
Top Bottom