• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

DACs: Cheap vs Expensive

???
I'm not seeing your post ..
It's not a "post" he created another thread

 
^ A thread consists of multiple posts, so for example this is one of my posts in this thread.

Anyway here's hoping you find a DAC that works for you and for what it's worth I went with a $99 Schiit Modi several years ago and to my ears it sounds fine I'm sure there are more expensive ones out there but I have no desire to find out.
 
^ A thread consists of multiple posts, so for example this is one of my posts in this thread.

Anyway here's hoping you find a DAC that works for you and for what it's worth I went with a $99 Schiit Modi several years ago and to my ears it sounds fine I'm sure there are more expensive ones out there but I have no desire to find out.
I did find a DAC that works for me. The one in my CD player.
 
Most ofwhat you hear is the differences in quality of the analog interface and out put circuits of the DAC. Yes there are other concerns digitally. But most manufacturers really don't put a lot of effort to get the analog process done correctly..
 
Going to that fool's site is some of the worse advice that could be given to someone trying to understand digital. That's like shopping for advice on Redit or asking around Wal-Mart's automotive section for DAC advice. There is a reason that the so-called science site is so discredited.

Ranking devices by numbers is not how music is made. Music is when you play a song...then another song and forget to stop because you are totally captivated.

The sterile alternative that comes from focusing on one bench parameter is to start one song...then cut over to another cause you saw it in your play lists...then another...try turning it up...then down...and shortly remember you have something else to do. That's what buying based on a flawed ranking systems will buy you.

Look for music...not just numbers.

EV3
Fact is that many people use 10x (or more) money on DAC's then they should need, for a audiophile it's no problem to use 10x more money, also on thing they don't manage to hear any difference on (same **** with cables).
If you want to be a fool, then you are welcome to be that, that's your own choice. Some people have spend hell of much money on foolish things, When it cames to DAC's, after cables that is the dumbest thing to use much money on... Put the money in to better speakers or a better amp in stad, that give better result wich a new DAC's never can give.
With right amp and speaker then a old and very cheap CD-player (without a external fancy DAC) could play amazing, the most expencive DAC's out there could never give a good result on cheaper amp's and speakers.
 
Does it really matter what other people spend, or if what they hear is real or imagined? Maybe just try to be happy with what you hear in your system.

Sure, if someone is looking for advice, give your opinion, but don't judge someone on what they spend, or think they hear, because you don't have their wallet, hearing, or system.
 
Fact is that many people use 10x (or more) money on DAC's then they should need, for a audiophile it's no problem to use 10x more money, also on thing they don't manage to hear any difference on (same **** with cables).
If you want to be a fool, then you are welcome to be that, that's your own choice. Some people have spend hell of much money on foolish things, When it cames to DAC's, after cables that is the dumbest thing to use much money on... Put the money in to better speakers or a better amp in stad, that give better result wich a new DAC's never can give.
With right amp and speaker then a old and very cheap CD-player (without a external fancy DAC) could play amazing, the most expencive DAC's out there could never give a good result on cheaper amp's and speakers.
Count me as one of those fools who can hear a difference between DACs and CDPs—and even sometimes cables.

Thats why I’m saving my pennies for a Lampizator tube ladder DAC. They aren’t cheap; and to my ears they get better the higher up the ladder ($4K-$50K) you go.

Of course, maybe my amp and speakers are the problem. (Maybe I’m the problem.) IDK. (Maybe you pity the fool.) Seems the more time and money I invest, the more differences among equipment I detect. Doing the best I can here.

Please educate us fools on what economical system (including DAC and CDP) you recommend. Thanks.
 
I recently bought a SU-1 DAC to connect a PC to my stereo system via USB. I went ahead and compared it to the DAC in my 30+ year old VRDS-20 CD player. I could not hear any difference via my speakers (not so great) or my electrostatic headphones (GREAT!). Both the SU-1 DAC and the VRDS-20 have been thoroughly measured at audiosciencereview.com. The SU-1 measures much better than the DAC in the VRDS-20. That led me to conclude that my ears are incapable of hearing any differences that may exist between them, so I won't be spending any money on more expensive DACs.
 
If you want to be a fool, then you are welcome to be that, that's your own choice. Some people have spend hell of much money on foolish things, When it cames to DAC's, after cables that is the dumbest thing to use much money on
I guess I'm proud to be a fool then. Since you're not me, you're totally unaffected. Here's another analogy. If you want to be cheap but can't admit it, you are welcome to be that. Some people have never spent much money on audio equipment and will never realize what's possible. I consider that to be somewhat foolish, especially when they can afford more.
 
I just bought a Topping at discount ($150), but it's only because I needed A dac, and wanted an all-in-one solution with bluetooth AND a remote (for volume) so I could use any vintage amp as a home theater receiver.

I am cheap and I thought briefly about getting a 20 dollar USB dac dongle, 30 dollar bluetooth receiver, and concluded it would cause more trouble to spend less for multiple devices.
 
I recently bought a SU-1 DAC to connect a PC to my stereo system via USB. I went ahead and compared it to the DAC in my 30+ year old VRDS-20 CD player. I could not hear any difference via my speakers (not so great) or my electrostatic headphones (GREAT!). Both the SU-1 DAC and the VRDS-20 have been thoroughly measured at audiosciencereview.com. The SU-1 measures much better than the DAC in the VRDS-20. That led me to conclude that my ears are incapable of hearing any differences that may exist between them, so I won't be spending any money on more expensive DACs.
I bought a SMSL C100 to connect a 4k TV, Windows PC and a Denon DVD 2910 to a pair of ZA3 amps. I needed to have remote capability or I would have bought the SU-1. I heard improvement compared to the TV and computer analog outputs but very little difference, if any, compared to the 2910. I might buy Fosi's new ZD3 mostly for it's balanced connections if it gets good reviews.
 
Back
Top Bottom