• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

dahlquist speaker question

pabaker

New Member
Just wondering if the tweeter in a dqm 9 would be the same as the one in a DQM-5? If not, does anyone have an idea where I can get a tweeter for my dqm-9. Thanks for the help guys.
 
Register to hide this ad
It may take a while for an answer to appear... those are probably two of the least common DQs around, so most people won't have even one of them, let alone both to make a comparison.

Be patient, though, because there are a few people around who have them, and some people who are very knowledgable when it comes to Dahlquists, so if you can find a person with the answer, it is very likely to be someone here on AK. This post may help "bump" your question up, and give you a better chance of getting an answer. Good luck; sorry I don't know the answer to your question.

Incidentally, I almost said "Welcome to AK", when I saw you had only 11 posts... until I noticed the joining date in 2005. Well, welcome to the ranks of "people who post", I guess! :D
 
Thanks. I look more then I post. With all the knowledge on this forum board, it will be just a matter of time before I receive a reply.
 
If someone can post a pic of the tweeter from a DQM5, I can tell you if it is or isn't like the one in a DQM9. Can't remember if the DQM5 had a square flange tweeter (like the DQM9) or a round flange tweeter...

Regards,
Gordon.
 
I once retrofitted a new element (dome/voice coil/magnet) onto the back of a DQM9 tweeter faceplate, for a client at our store. Don't know if what I used before is still available... but I believe it is. If I had it in front of me, I could probably do it again... just one thought, if everything else fails...

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Very nice 25mm dome, high output, goes to 22kHz. Beautiful deep square aluminum frame.

Not the same, however the 9 and 9c used the same ones. GordonW did you use a Peerless dome for the replacement?

(I'm also looking for a replacement set.)
 
I own a pair of DQM 5s and 7s. I picked up a beat pair of 9s to replace the tweeters in my 7s. All of the tweeters are the same size with the same hole spacing. The 5s are mounted in a plastic frame while the 7s have metal frames. The 5s also have a plastic guard over the dome. I got to believe the specs for all 3 drivers are pretty close or the same. I didn't notice a difference in sound between the 7 or 9 tweeters.

About 4 years ago I had the DQM 5s tweeters rebuilt by Regnar. The cost was about $150 back then. Way to much in my opinion but it would be hard to find a better sounding speaker for $150.

I would watch Ebay for replacements. You could always drop in a pair of 5s until your 9s show up.

I'm sure I'm biased but I really like my DQM 7s. They are pretty efficient so I use them with a tube setup. I also have a pair of DQ10s for some serious listening.

Good luck on your search.
 
Back
Top Bottom