• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

damping factor

Status
Not open for further replies.
A) Please stop trying to cause confusion with the public. Read post 90 again. The schematic, test, and results clearly demonstrate you are obviously incorrect in your knowledge, and math. The results of the graph are voltage output vs frequency. The output voltage is non-linear vs frequency. The input source is linear vs frequency. Therefore the output voltage does not follow the input voltage vs frequency.

C) Well, I do not believe you have designed and built a perfect preamp because you have not shown me the capability of understanding a choke or designing a proper power supply. I also have not heard of anyone proclaiming your preamp as perfect. Do you have such customers?
So why are you not advertising your preamplifier as perfect? Why have you not offered a $49.95, $99.95, $995.95 perfect preamplifier to the public?

Cheers

Pos

I haven't heard anyone proclaiming your preamp either....but would certainly be interested in knowing more about it. Where could I hear one? What is the price on it? Thanks.
 
Because JJ, Kruger, Ethan Winer, Krapple etc, that bunch work for industry.
Which really is a shame for those who want to listen to music as we would at the concert hall.

Poor Arnie. Is he really that deaf? Driven my market forces? Who knows? Many have recently blown the "all amplifiers sound the same" cover.

Which really is good news for music lovers! Isn't that what it is really all about?
 
Well this thread took a turn for the worse. I wonder how many confrontations like this would take place in person . . . probably not many.
 
Well this thread took a turn for the worse. I wonder how many confrontations like this would take place in person . . . probably not many.
Exactly. That's what I thought when Ken attacked one of the most prolific and competent engineers in the industry.

Bad conduct for sure. Especially when his attacks lacked any substance whatsoever.
 
Last edited:
Closed pending review and possible cleanup; also to allow a cool down period to steer away from confrontational or defensive comments.
 
But Conrad, is that not one of the purposes that we were put on this Earth, to engage in activities that cause more space to be taken up on the service bench? I believe that is written on my birth certificate. By the way the corollary to this is, all flat surfaces attract stuff. :D:D:D

Thanks for sharing your information.

I look at the output of an audio amplifier just like I look at the output of a power supply. After all is said and done, an audio amplifier is just a variable voltage, sometimes bipolar, power supply that is controlled (modulated) by an audio signal. Okay there may be a little more to it than that.:D:D:D

In fact one can build a somewhat or maybe not reasonable audio amplifier using a three terminal voltage regulator.:scratch2:

Hello Mr. Kantor, hope all is well with you.

Maybe you or others can help me understand this thing I call 'lectricity. Here is where I am confused. I can turn the 'lectricity to my AC wall outlet on or off at the circuit breaker. If I turn on the circuit breaker and plug a lamp in to its AC power outlet the lamp will come on and if I unplug the lamp it will go off, but no 'lectricity will spill out of the AC power outlet. There is 'lectricity going to the circuit breaker all the time.

OK, now take my outside water faucet, there is water going to it all the time and I keep it turned off. If I connect my garden hose to this water faucet and turn on this faucet and then pull the trigger on my spray nozzle, water will come out of the nozzle and I can water my flowers. This is like using the switch in the lamp to control the light.

OK, so far I understand this, but if I just disconnect my garden hose water will continue to come out of the faucet and this is where I become confused.

What keeps the 'lectricity from coming out of my AC power outlet the way the water keeps coming out of my outside water faucet? :scratch2:

I would like to listen to my receiver, but I worry that 'lectricity will leak from the speaker terminals on the back of the receiver and from the terminals on the back of my speakers.

So, Conrad, Mr. Kantor, loopstick kcbluesman and or others, is it safe for me to listen to my stereo? And what about the AC power outlet that is next to my chair?:D:D


Would it help if I use the little plastic things that are designed to keep little children out of AC power outlets? Will they help keep in the 'lectricity?:yes::no:
 

Attachments

  • LM 317 VOLTAGE REGULATOR AUDIO AMPLIFIER.JPG
    LM 317 VOLTAGE REGULATOR AUDIO AMPLIFIER.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Ha, if a tree falls in the woods when nobody is there, does it make a sound? In the same way, does an amplifier have an output signal if nothing is attached? Rest assured, it does. There will always be some small loading from the feedback network and output network, so there's no need to add anything. Feedback insures that the output signal remains constant, regardless of load, except for the output impedance that we're so desperately trying to measure.:D

OK cool. I have more questions but I'll save them for another fracas at another time. :thmbsp:
 
You know my previous post actually relates to this thread, because if I leave the water faucet turned on, the ground gets very damp.

So how might I calculate the damping factor of my water faucet.:scratch2:

Originally Posted by ConradH View Post
Ha, if a tree falls in the woods when nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Conrad, your are not helping me much. So now what, I need an axe or a lumber jack?


This stuff sure becomes confusing to me in a hurry.:D

I am like a lot of people here, I understand the hard numbers and science, but at times I just listen to the :music::music::music: and not worry about any leaky 'lectricity or damp ground by my water faucet.:D
 
But Conrad, is that not one of the purposes that we were put on this Earth, to engage in activities that cause more space to be taken up on the service bench? I believe that is written on my birth certificate. By the way the corollary to this is, all flat surfaces attract stuff. :D:D:D

Thanks for sharing your information.

I look at the output of an audio amplifier just like I look at the output of a power supply. After all is said and done, an audio amplifier is just a variable voltage, sometimes bipolar, power supply that is controlled (modulated) by an audio signal. Okay there may be a little more to it than that.:D:D:D

In fact one can build a somewhat or maybe not reasonable audio amplifier using a three terminal voltage regulator.:scratch2:

Hello Mr. Kantor, hope all is well with you.

Maybe you or others can help me understand this thing I call 'lectricity. Here is where I am confused. I can turn the 'lectricity to my AC wall outlet on or off at the circuit breaker. If I turn on the circuit breaker and plug a lamp in to its AC power outlet the lamp will come on and if I unplug the lamp it will go off, but no 'lectricity will spill out of the AC power outlet. There is 'lectricity going to the circuit breaker all the time.

OK, now take my outside water faucet, there is water going to it all the time and I keep it turned off. If I connect my garden hose to this water faucet and turn on this faucet and then pull the trigger on my spray nozzle, water will come out of the nozzle and I can water my flowers. This is like using the switch in the lamp to control the light.

OK, so far I understand this, but if I just disconnect my garden hose water will continue to come out of the faucet and this is where I become confused.

What keeps the 'lectricity from coming out of my AC power outlet the way the water keeps coming out of my outside water faucet? :scratch2:

I would like to listen to my receiver, but I worry that 'lectricity will leak from the speaker terminals on the back of the receiver and from the terminals on the back of my speakers.

So, Conrad, Mr. Kantor, loopstick kcbluesman and or others, is it safe for me to listen to my stereo? And what about the AC power outlet that is next to my chair?:D:D


Would it help if I use the little plastic things that are designed to keep little children out of AC power outlets? Will they help keep in the 'lectricity?:yes::no:

The electricity IS pouring out of the outlet... you just can't see it. And, electrons being very light, they float up to the ceiling, and beyond.

-k
 
Wikipedia:

Along with capacitors and resistors, inductors are one of the three passive linear circuit elements that make up electric circuits.

AND

An equivalent definition of a linear circuit is that it obeys the superposition principle. This means that the output of the circuit F(x) when a linear combination of signals ax1(t) + bx2(t) is applied to it is equal to the linear combination of the outputs due to the signals x1(t) and x2(t) applied separately:

F(ax_1 + bx_2) = aF(x_1) + bF(x_2).

Informally, a linear circuit is one in which the values of the electronic components, the resistance, capacitance, inductance, gain, etc. don't change with the level of voltage or current in the circuit.

mit.edu:

We continue with our analysis of linear circuits by introducing two new passive and
linear elements: the capacitor and the inductor.

All the methods developed so far for the analysis of linear resistive circuits are applicable
to circuits that contain capacitors and inductors.

All About Circuits:

An inductor is a "linear device" meaning that it obeys superposition.

www.iue.tuwien:

2.3.3.5 Linear Inductor

The constitutive relation for a linear inductor is V = L . dI/dt.

answers.com:

...capacitor and inductor are linear elements...

electricaltechnology.org:

Examples of Liner Circuits and Linear Elements

Resistance and Resistive Circuit
Inductor and Inductive Circuits
Capacitor and Capacitive Circuits


POS- Convinced yet, or is the whole world wrong?

-k
 
Last edited:
The electricity IS pouring out of the outlet... you just can't see it. And, electrons being very light, they float up to the ceiling, and beyond.

-k

Electrons need a conductor, with out a pathway (conductor) they will not flow. In your comparision the pipe which the water flows is the conductor. Electrons also need a little push, they will remain static that movement is called current, and voltage is that push. Air for the most is an insulator.

If electricity was "Pouring out of that outlet and you just couldn't see it, you would have some pretty high electrical bills every month.

All of which I am sure your aware of! Perhaps my not reading the early post these post were in jest.
 
Last edited:
The electricity IS pouring out of the outlet... you just can't see it. And, electrons being very light, they float up to the ceiling, and beyond.

-k

OH, NO! That is what I was afraid of.:yes:

This seems like a good deal for the power company. They can charge me for the 'lectricity that leaks out of all of my outlets.

If I were clever and I am not, I could come up with a way to catch and reclaim and recycle all of those pesky electrons.

There must be a huge number of them floating out of the tops of all of the houses in my little town.

Maybe I am more clever than I know. Automated drones with electron catchers. They could be powered by the electrons that they capture as needed and bring the rest back to me.

Wow this seems like a project that Red Green could help me with. :yes::yes:

But to stay on topic, would it matter if the drones got damp in the rain, would that be factor?

Okay, I just ordered a pizza, so maybe my silliness will end with the arrival of the pizza, at least I believe that many here may hope so.:D
 
They have almost the same amount of post as well, maybe they are the same person with bipolar personalities!:D
 
I just hope that this tread remains civil enough so the the moderators do not have to apply their damping factor to this thread.

Okay my pizza is not here yet, everybody keep hoping.:D
 
I have no idea who e stat is. I certainly am not him. Now are you going to keep to the science, or go off on conspiracy theories?

Sorry Guys.

Pos

There is no conspiracy theory, only observation.

Along with the AVS "my science is better than your science" bullshit in tow.
 
Hey tarior, I am not theoretically silly, I am silly.:D

But my pizza just arrived, so that may be a good thing for AK:D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom