• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

DCM Time Frame comparison

Some point Ill get the other DCMs in there and see what actual PLIIz sounds like!

At some point you need to give those 27's a workout. I A/B them when I had my 600's and they held their own maybe even did bass a little better. Very close in sound IMO.
 
Interesting thread, especially since I just bought a pair of TF-350s today. I thought about replacing the woofer with a 6.5" Dayton woofer, and adding a second woofer underneath the tweeter. But I think now I'll just go ahead and restore them.

Lee.
 
Interesting thread, especially since I just bought a pair of TF-350s today. I thought about replacing the woofer with a 6.5" Dayton woofer, and adding a second woofer underneath the tweeter. But I think now I'll just go ahead and restore them.

Lee.

Due to being transmission line, adding anything is impossible and would ruin the speaker. Likewise, swapping the drivers out isn't a good idea...especially with a Dayton. The stock drivers are much better than that.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2
 
At some point you need to give those 27's a workout. I A/B them when I had my 600's and they held their own maybe even did bass a little better. Very close in sound IMO.

I had them hooked up once, but they sounded like they had an issue, and I just haven't hooked them back up to verify.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2
 
What an awesome thread! it goes on and on :-) 9 months and rolling strong. What got me on tonight was stumbling across a CL find a very very nice pair of TF250's for 25 dollars, I already have a pair of 250s, 2 pair of TimeWindow 1's (restoring one now had 2 slipped magnets on the woofers so i am hunting for 1 more 6.5 inch driver) and a pair of CX-27s .. ... i have two additions to the thread, the CX-27s would surprise a lot of people if given the chance and the 250s on their own struggle to keep up with a lot of the listening i like, however, i have now paired them with a small 10" KEF powered sub.. (which i have paired with each of my DCM's) I find that once relieved of all the work below something between 60 and 70hz all of my DCM's really start to sing. True at low volume they can drive down quite low, however with volume they tended to lose some of the clarity and imaging .., those lower frequencies at volume is asking a lot of a 6.5 that you are also expecting to render vocals with presence and image.... ... i cant say how impressed i was with all of them once relieved of what they just do not do remarkably well... ... that's a solid 4 cents added when i meant to give 2 ..
 
WAIT!!!! i do have something to actually earn my 4 cents of chat

I have Schematics for TimeWindows 1 and Schematics TimeWindows 1A if anyone needs them. I dont think i have enough posts to upload yet, so feel free to message me and i will get them back to you ASAP.
Nick
 
WAIT!!!! i do have something to actually earn my 4 cents of chat

I have Schematics for TimeWindows 1 and Schematics TimeWindows 1A if anyone needs them. I dont think i have enough posts to upload yet, so feel free to message me and i will get them back to you ASAP.
Nick

Welcome to AK and the DCM Fan Club!

I am sure there are several members here who would be interested in those schematics. Nice of you to offer.
 
With all of the talk about the Time Frame line, I was surprised no one mentioned the Half Time/Double Time set. It was two Half Times 8x8x10 and a Double Time bass. The two Half Times would probably be better as a center since you could shape the sound.
And nobody mentioned the Time Squared from the Time Window series. These seem as rare as the TF 2000 and TW7.
 
I have to chime in here as a dcm fan. I recently got into the hifi scene about a year ago. My first set of speakers..well real speakers are tf1000s and I love them. All I had to do to them was re clue the screw holders on the crossover board. But I have to say they can rock the house :)
 
I have to chime in here as a dcm fan. I recently got into the hifi scene about a year ago. My first set of speakers..well real speakers are tf1000s and I love them. All I had to do to them was re clue the screw holders on the crossover board. But I have to say they can rock the house :)
Welcome and congrats on the TF-1000s. I'm still trying to hunt down a pair.
 
Just ran across this thread, had to add my praise of DCM. I have owned a pair of TimeWindows for over 30 years (serials 650 and 673), still have them and listen to them daily. Just moved them to my newly resurrected analog system. These speakers still give me thrills when they are cranked up, just amazing.
 
What's the word on the TF500? Not much on them. I've found tons on the rest of the TF series to suggest they should be great but the lack of information makes them seem like some kind of ugly duckling.... There's a pair for $110 on CL, should I swoop in?
 
What's the word on the TF500? Not much on them. I've found tons on the rest of the TF series to suggest they should be great but the lack of information makes them seem like some kind of ugly duckling.... There's a pair for $110 on CL, should I swoop in?

Yes. Run. Buy them.

The 500s are good speakers; albeit a bit different. I know for a fact the CX27s and TF400s are a 3-way configuration. I own them; I've opened them up.

The 500s, however; are not 3-way. They're 2-way with a front bass port.

I don't remember exact specs; there's a manual/datasheet/info PDF floating around with the max power handling. I do know they're 8-ohm nominal rated about 90db efficiency. I ran them with 10 watt 6V6 tubes and they sung sweetly.

In fact; I spent about 24 hours over the weekend making my 500s sing to excellent tunes and a couple of movies.

But, yeah, my advice is if you can go grab 'em; do it!

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk 2
 
I was pretty sure the CX27 is a 2 way as is the TF400, two 6.5's with one having a coaxial mounted tweeter, but no actual midrange driver, just two woofers and a tweeter.

Possibly a 2.5 way with the two woofers having a different high pass (I don't know about that), but not a three way.
 
People have gotten me excited here, I cant's wait to go make sure they work and everything!

DCM are great speakers. I have TimeWindow 1's, and the rather rare TimeWindow 3, and am currently gathering parts for a full TimeWindow 3 restoration. That will include replacing two blown tweeters, redoing the two layers of covering material (headliner material that is used in cars is underneath the cloth, and normal black grill cloth), repainting the end caps, replacing the banana plugs with binding posts, and replacing a broken potentiometer, and may replace a few electrolytic caps.

The TimeWindows are incredible sounding speakers, and the TimeWindow 3 is supposed to take it up another notch or two.
 
The CX27s have a tweeter mounted over a driver in coaxial configuration...then another driver below . 2.5 way, 3way? Don't know...there's 3 drivers so I call them 3-way. The 400s use the same coaxial mounting over a driver and an additional driver. The TF400s, from what I seem to recall; use the same drivers and placement as the 600s. I haven't had my 400s open in 3 years; but I clearly recall there being two drivers and tweeter.

The 500s; fron best I can tell; are just a tweeter and driver. But they don't use the same tweeter as the others; I believe its a Vifa tweeter...either way; its round...the others are square.

That being said...they're just outstanding; and I wouldn't pass them up....well..maybe for TF2000s. But then again...what wouldn't some of us do for a pair of TF2000s.

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk 2
 
Well, two woofers and one tweeter is a 2 way. I'm not even sure they are crossed over like a 2.5 way. I don't mean to nitpick, but 2 way or 3 way or whatever is defined by the drivers and crossover points. A 3 way will have a woofer, a midrange and a tweeter. DCM has made 3 way speakers, but most, including those mentioned technically are not.
 
Well, two woofers and one tweeter is a 2 way. I'm not even sure they are crossed over like a 2.5 way. I don't mean to nitpick, but 2 way or 3 way or whatever is defined by the drivers and crossover points. A 3 way will have a woofer, a midrange and a tweeter. DCM has made 3 way speakers, but most, including those mentioned technically are not.

If it wasn't for nitpicking; I wouldn't have learned what I do. :)

To the OP; did you get those 500s?

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk 2
 
Back
Top Bottom