• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

DCM Time Frame comparison

What's the word on the TF500? Not much on them. I've found tons on the rest of the TF series to suggest they should be great but the lack of information makes them seem like some kind of ugly duckling.... There's a pair for $110 on CL, should I swoop in?

The first page of this thread, 4th post has a link to the TF500 -TF350 combined Datasheet with all the info ...
Should tell you all you want re: specs.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=441762

If its in good shape, the DCM TF500 is a nice sounding speaker, and $110 is a great price.
 
Last edited:
Any pre-buyout DCM is decent. I've never heard the QED myself, but it should be pretty good judging by most other DCM's.
 
Hey Now,

I have a pair of TF600 and QEDs. I like the TF600 better, they reproduce music much better, fuller sounding, but the QEDs are no slouches. I need to get some new foam to cover them, but I have 6 cats and I am not sure I want the QEDs in the house with new foam :scratch2: . I may regulate them to the tack room in the barn, just wrap them up in speaker cloth and be done with it. I spend an inordinate amount of time in the summer months sewing in the tack room, so I have to have some good sounding speakers.

Thanks for the thread on the crossover rebuild. Just posted a question with regards to your new foam. Where did you find that stuff? I may have to try that in the future.

--
Finest kind,
Chris
 
Last edited:
So I bought a pair of DCM TimeFrame TFV 6.0 at a thrift this summer, I thought I would flip them, but they do sound nice in the garage while I putter round. I might keep them, any advice on mods or upgrades? I will say the black plastic tops are pretty ..... crappy! Couldn't they have gone a lil better?
 
So I bought a pair of DCM TimeFrame TFV 6.0 at a thrift this summer, I thought I would flip them, but they do sound nice in the garage while I putter round. I might keep them, any advice on mods or upgrades? I will say the black plastic tops are pretty ..... crappy! Couldn't they have gone a lil better?
I think the TimeFrame V 6.0 is one of those rarities that were made late in the scheme of all that is Eberbachian. They may have been made around the same time as the SurroundScapes as they also had the black plastic caps glued over MDF. Even some of the rare and highly coveted TimeWindow Sevens had plastic tops, although the earlier ones had piano black lacquer paint.

You'll have to be the one who opens them up and shows us what's inside. Pics are a must! :D
 
Someone local is selling some V 6.0's, but the idiot keeps calling them TF600's, and he wants too much for them. He strikes me as a wannabe flipper with no actual knowledge.
 
I can tell you I won't be opening them up anytime soon. Other that whining about the BPC tops, I was surprised they don't have any feet or spikes, or did they come with them originally and mine were removed?
 
Someone local is selling some V 6.0's, but the idiot keeps calling them TF600's, and he wants too much for them. He strikes me as a wannabe flipper with no actual knowledge.
I'd actually like to see the insides and crossovers of one just to get an idea what they're all about.
 
I have 2 sets of QED's, one is mint and the other is rough, both sound great. I use them on Fisher tube gear and very happy when I hook them up.
 
So I bought a pair of DCM TimeFrame TFV 6.0 at a thrift this summer, I thought I would flip them, but they do sound nice in the garage while I putter round. I might keep them, any advice on mods or upgrades? I will say the black plastic tops are pretty ..... crappy! Couldn't they have gone a lil better?

Black plastic tops?? TFV 6.0 ?? Not sure what those are ..

My DCM TF600s have a nice hardwood top and bottom - they came painted black but I stripped the paint off so they look like the older models and I really prefer that look.


attachment.php
 
Black plastic tops?? TFV 6.0 ?? Not sure what those are ..

My DCM TF600s have a nice hardwood top and bottom - they came painted black but I stripped the paint off so they look like the older models and I really prefer that look.


attachment.php

How hard was it to strip the black paint from the end caps of your TF600s? I have heard it can be a real PITA to do. I have a pair and have thought about trying to strip the black paint off, as I also have a pair of TF400s with the natural oak end caps. What did you use to get the job done? Did you do the tops and bottoms?
 
Worked outdoors with MEK and wiped it down over and over, then worked with steel wool to get some of the stubborn stuff off.
Wiped it down with afterwards with Watco Danish oil. The black paint had left a bit of darkness in the grain,
but "I" think the wood grain looks tons better than heavy black painted cap above the black cloth.

How hard was it to strip the black paint from the end caps of your TF600s? I have heard it can be a real PITA to do. I have a pair and have thought about trying to strip the black paint off, as I also have a pair of TF400s with the natural oak end caps. What did you use to get the job done? Did you do the tops and bottoms?
 
How hard was it to strip the black paint from the end caps of your TF600s? I have heard it can be a real PITA to do. I have a pair and have thought about trying to strip the black paint off, as I also have a pair of TF400s with the natural oak end caps. What did you use to get the job done? Did you do the tops and bottoms?
Some TF-600s came with non-painted tops. They were available with black paint and walnut stain.
 
Before I got my 87' Polk SDA 2b my go to speaker was the TF 350 and this was 1st endever into the DCM line.I know they all sound different and I guess better as you climb the ladder but why not grab the best as a friend out west did and got Time Windows 7s. This might be problematic though only 200 pairs were made but according to him these are the Absolutely the best speakers he has ever heard.Of course ones' taste can be entirely different than anothers.I do get completing a collection if the room is available.
 
I've noticed a pair of TF600's locally but have never heard any DCM's. My preferences are for lower powered tube amps. Do you think they would work well with a 7-8 watt PP triode amp?

As a second item: a friend recently gave me a bunch of original DCM brochures. Just wondering if I should scan them for upload to the AK database. I have brochures for TF2000, TF1000, TF700, TF500/350, TF250, TimeWindow 1A and TimeWindow Three.

Thanks for you comments.

John
 
I've noticed a pair of TF600's locally but have never heard any DCM's. My preferences are for lower powered tube amps. Do you think they would work well with a 7-8 watt PP triode amp?

As a second item: a friend recently gave me a bunch of original DCM brochures. Just wondering if I should scan them for upload to the AK database. I have brochures for TF2000, TF1000, TF700, TF500/350, TF250, TimeWindow 1A and TimeWindow Three.

Thanks for you comments.

John

I always thought my 600's were a little power hungry but one of the best pieces of gear I ad hooked them to was a 23wpc Sansui integrated amp so it might be worth a shot. Does your brochure's give any minimal power rating you could use as a guide?
 
Some TF-600s came with non-painted tops. They were available with black paint and walnut stain.

OK, I don't know much about the TF line having only rebuilt a pair of early 350s and having a pair of 400s waiting for me to buy some sock material, but I would think that the oak end caps on the TFs would not have walnut stain. But I may be completely wrong on that.
 
Back
Top Bottom