• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Despicable state of kids today - Video

I agree with you. But you need to mellow out dude or this thread is going to end up getting closed.

Fair enough.

I guess I get a little worked up when I see stuff like this (I remember seeing a guy smack his GF in his car one time. I blocked him in and tried to extract him through the window before someone pulled me away).

That woman could have been mother to any one of us and I can't see any excuse, or justification for it whatsoever.

'Would have been nice if she (or the bus driver) could have laid down the law like that Australian kid who was bullied on camera (until he dropped the little harasser like a bad habit).
 
that is awesome.... they should have something like that everywhere

It was pretty cool. I think they actually got a couple kids once (actually, I think that they called the kids mother who drove to where the bus was parked and grabbed them). Usually all it took was the threat of it and they calmed down.

I'd like to think most school systems have a similar policy, but i've never really thought about it.

oh wait...so this video came on some hideous show my wife had on a minute ago (inside edition or something?)

Oh man, those kids are screwed once it gets to a media outlet it's not going to slip through unnoticed.

we really have to at some point stop letting 5%~ (random made up %) or whatever the actual percentage is of the population that are a**holes make life more difficult for the rest of us.

:thmbsp: if only it were that easy, huh? I can certainly agree to that...

'Would have been nice if she (or the bus driver) could have laid down the law like that Australian kid who was bullied on camera (until he dropped the little harasser like a bad habit).

Oh, you mean Zangeif kid...I think his name was Casey or something, that was certainly a sight!
 
That is some pretty fantastic stuff*. Glad to hear the school district (and apparently police department) are working on it to figure it all out.

I hope she does have a nice vacation...sounds like those kids aren't going to have much of one for a while.

(*though color me surprised that Reddit was behind it)

That's heart warming indeed. Good for the fine folks over on Reddit! :yes:
 
Norton,

How old are you?

Here's a story that my dad told me. He's about 68 years old now.

There was a kid at school that bullied my dad until he couldn't take it anymore. Dad finally wrestled the bully and got him in a headlock. They stayed that way for a mysterious amount of time. After dad got his wits about him he noticed that a sharpened pencil in his shirt pocket had poked into the bully's neck.

They both gingerly unwound from their predicament, shook hands in truce, and became friends from that moment on.

If my dad had to deal with a bully back then then how much fewer bullies were there?

I'm 64. Your story is a single data point. Sure, there were some bullies back then but they were fewer than 1% of the student body. They usually got expelled or beaten within an inch of their lives by groups of kids.
 
This is NOT the way things were when I was a kid. Don't believe that for a second. Maybe it was where you lived, or how your parents taught you, but it is NOT universal.

Neither is this. It's a single incident.

Not saying it's okay. Just sayin' it's nothing new.

Exactly.

And I call BS on all of it. I have a GREAT memory, and I do not EVER remember anyone pulling this kind of crap on an adult, and certainly not on a senior citizen.

I'll reiterate: I AND ANYONE I KNEW IN MY CITY WOULD HAVE HAD THEIR ASSES HANDED TO THEM IF THEY PULLED THIS CRAP.
PERIOD.

Congratulations. Your city, whatever it was, is a small set of data points in this large group of data points called the "United States." Unless you can say that you know what every single kid in the whole flippin' country was doing when you were growing up, your anecdote doesn't prove anything.

And I'm saying I disagree.
Kids disrespecting elders en masse to the point of verbal abuse is NOT something that has been going on for a long time.

People used to be nice to each other all the time, like a bunch of hippies? Has anyone here ever read any freakin' Shakespeare? Or history? Good grief.

I have decent memory of some things as a child. When I was a kid, I never met a corrupt businessman, so I can't imagine that happening unless it's a recent thing...back then, all businessmen were nice and wore suits. Who knows why they are like this today, maybe not enough senate hearings?

Nice example. :thmbsp:

Personally, I blame video games.

Before that it was comic books. Back in the Elizabethan era, they blamed the theatre. Blaming some cultural influence for the downfall of civilization has been going on as long as civilization has had some history to look back on, and it's always been bullshit.

Basically, you cannot take one example (the video) and extrapolate that kids today all act like this...

Exactly. No one seems to get the influences that instant high-bandwidth communications and a 24/7 news cycle have on our perceptions.


This thread is so full of rose-tinted bullshit that it's about to rupture and start spewing like an oil well. I don't care where and when you grew up, life was never like "Andy Griffith."
 
This thread is so full of rose-tinted bullshit that it's about to rupture and start spewing like an oil well. I don't care where and when you grew up, life was never like "Andy Griffith."

With comments like that, you sound like the oldest, most cantankerous guy here...
 
Before that it was comic books. Back in the Elizabethan era, they blamed the theatre. Blaming some cultural influence for the downfall of civilization has been going on as long as civilization has had some history to look back on, and it's always been bullshit.

Oh certainly, my statement was in jest...I play too many games to think such a thing:D

Though I think you are onto something with Theater causing the downfall of civilization. Have you ever seen a play by that Shakesphere chap? dreadfull stuff, why, at the end of act three Hamlet himself murdered a elder courtman whilest he hid behind a curtain!, in another he barely mourned the passing of his favorite jester, how callous! and in another he made some poor soul have the head of an ass! how vulgar and juvenile! I daresay I hope this trend doesn't continue.

Nice example. :thmbsp:

Honestly one of the few post of mine which i'm almost proud of.

I don't care where and when you grew up, life was never like "Andy Griffith."

Actually, there was an episode which had bullying in it. A new kid comes to town and starts acting as the leader of Opies group of friends. Rather than their usual activity of fishing at the lake, he drives the bunch to do various acts of mischief around town culminating in breaking a streetlight on purpose. At this point he basically kicked opie out, and his friends tagged along with the bully. Until Andy gets involved, and drags them to the courthouse. Opie eventually got his friends together and dumped the new kid like a bad habit.

So...I guess there was bullying back then, heck, they even broke city property! now why do I know so much about these old shows:scratch2: (also, considering that Andy Griffith had a town drunkard and several robberies, a mountain man that threw bricks at cars and such, you have to wonder how wholesome it really is)


I find it pretty cool that for everything the internet seems to make worse, it also does stuff for the better...I can't imagine another medium in which so many would assist another in such a way. I really am glad this is getting a positive outcome.
 
That is some pretty fantastic stuff*. Glad to hear the school district (and apparently police department) are working on it to figure it all out.

I hope she does have a nice vacation...sounds like those kids aren't going to have much of one for a while.

(*though color me surprised that Reddit was behind it)

Reddit is pretty damn philanthropic. The volume of money they raise over there for things just like this is astounding, especially over the past year.
 
That is probably true however I refuse to believe that children in the past twenty years suddenly developed this mean bone.

Either it's always been there and has just manifest itself differently over the generations.

Or it's always been there and only now has it become popular and acceptable to
discuss.

No, there is more of it now, and more frequently- some is seen due to accessibility but I don't believe that's the whole story. It's just that there is an accepted crassness in culture and TV and film make this behavior acceptable now- people have a propensity to behave in poor form in public; THE WORLD IS NOT YOUR LIVING ROOM. I don't think I need to lecture anyone on the severe and psychotic hunger for shows that showcase confrontation and bad behavior. You'd be a fool not to recognize the contribution. Less self-censorship (these kids), thin skins and more sensitivity to everything, not being able to find an "off" switch (these kids), and more ready to take someone to task in overreaction over the pettiest of things (possibly these kids). I noticed the slide at the turn of the century, but it really got going on its rails in the middle 200x's.
 
Last edited:
It's probably related to all the idiots saying the world's going to end at a certain time, in the very near future (from whenever they made that claim). Then other idiots believe it, & figure there's no point in being civil, because we'll all be gone next week-ish anyways. :thumbsdn: Guess what, idiots? We're ALL still here, even you, so snap out of it, & get some semblance of class, if you can. :D ;)
 
Dang, that's one place where you'd think they really NEED it, too. Meaning with the overcrowding, and all the immigrants who "might" need a re-education on what's considered proper behaviour.

Not to get too off topic, but what do you mean? What overcrowding? What immigrants that "might" need what "re-education"?
 
Last edited:
Wow. I was out most of last evening and missed this thread. It appears to have calmed down a bit.

For the record, Sam isn't the oldest, most cantankerous guy here. I am. :smoke:

Given that I have a logical, engineering mindset, I'll underscore the most important point being made by several members: Those of you who are bluntly making black and white statements based on your own experiences are basing those statements on single data points, and the statements are thus not universal, despite your profanity.

I can add my personal experiences as well...If either of my parents had found out I'd been one of those kids, I'd have had my head slapped so hard I would have had to shave the back of my skull so I could see. Does that mean there was no bullying in my nice, clean, suburban junior high school back in the '60's? No, it does not. Those of you who are asserting that this is some kind of new phenomenon are simply being naive.

There has always been that 1% who exhibit anti-social behavior. Always. Sometimes they got away with it. Sometimes they got the crap beat out of them on the playground by bigger, older friends of the kid being bullied. Sometimes their parents took care of them, and, unfortunately, sometimes they were simply mimicking the behaviors they saw at home. None of this is new.

Now, we have cell phone video cameras and the internet. The power in that is that it allows a lot more people to see what's been going on for centuries, and, hopefully, do a better job at reducing this behavior than was done in the past.
 
Wow. I was out most of last evening and missed this thread. It appears to have calmed down a bit.

For the record, Sam isn't the oldest, most cantankerous guy here. I am. :smoke:

Given that I have a logical, engineering mindset, I'll underscore the most important point being made by several members: Those of you who are bluntly making black and white statements based on your own experiences are basing those statements on single data points, and the statements are thus not universal, despite your profanity.

I can add my personal experiences as well...If either of my parents had found out I'd been one of those kids, I'd have had my head slapped so hard I would have had to shave the back of my skull so I could see. Does that mean there was no bullying in my nice, clean, suburban junior high school back in the '60's? No, it does not. Those of you who are asserting that this is some kind of new phenomenon are simply being naive.

There has always been that 1% who exhibit anti-social behavior. Always. Sometimes they got away with it. Sometimes they got the crap beat out of them on the playground by bigger, older friends of the kid being bullied. Sometimes their parents took care of them, and, unfortunately, sometimes they were simply mimicking the behaviors they saw at home. None of this is new.

Now, we have cell phone video cameras and the internet. The power in that is that it allows a lot more people to see what's been going on for centuries, and, hopefully, do a better job at reducing this behavior than was done in the past.

Uhh-Huh.
 
Why put a monitor on a school bus without the authority to control rude behavior?
If the monitor had the authority, why did she not use it?

BTW, she is now well north of $10,000 per minute for her experience.
 
Poor lady looks like my Mom. I had tears and had to stop watching.

This was my reaction as well. Quickly followed by the desire to track down and slap the little shits who did this to her. In the cool, clear light of morning I decided instead to contribute to Mrs. Klein's "vacation fund" which at the moment totals more than $170,000 (more of a retirement fund than a vacation fund now).

There does seem to be a silver lining here.
 
Back
Top Bottom