• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Diehard Bose Head

Status
Not open for further replies.
Discuss... no arguments please...

Well then why are you posting here? The OP didn't ask for any advice and he wasn't trying to get anyone to justify his choice. And are we supposed to be impressed with your tube driven electrostatics? I don't want to start any acrimony here, but why would somebody put down Bose, JBL, and Klipcsh, then turn right around and say "like what you like"?

This is a very active board so if someone posts a thread, he'll get answers, opinions, actual and imaginary facts etc...
So discuss and share opinions, experiences whatever but I would not like to read flames or direct argument.

As for Bose, I have heard 901's with equalizer on those tulip or whatever stands and I didn't care for them except for their potential resale profit.
I also have listened to 301's and several of Interaudio series like SA1000, 2000 etc... and they are okay speakers, nothing to write home about.
Actually, the SA2000 bookshelf was pretty good sounding for it's size.
 
Without stepping too far out of his comfort zone there is an old line that could be purchased used of Interaudio by Bose speakers. They're two-ways using the same drivers as speakers speakers at the time did but they aren't built for reflecting. Hard to say they're studio monitors but they are of the more conventional design that OP is looking to try.
 
Without stepping too far out of his comfort zone there is an old line that could be purchased used of Interaudio by Bose speakers. They're two-ways using the same drivers as speakers speakers at the time did but they aren't built for reflecting. Hard to say they're studio monitors but they are of the more conventional design that OP is looking to try.

I had 3-way Interaudio SA1000 and 2-way SA2000 and pretty good sound.

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Bose Interaudio SA1000 No Grill Refoamed.jpg
    Bose Interaudio SA1000 No Grill Refoamed.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 191
Oh wow. I think thinking of the smaller models. I didn't know the larger three-ways even existed. Neat!
 
Some may take this as a backhanded compliment... I do NOT mean for it to be

I've stated several times before on AK and will do so again. A long time ago I heard a pair of 901 , cant recall the model , with a tweeter on top of each speaker & a sub sorta in between and back of the 901. I believe the tweeters ran off of the sub. This combination reproduced very good music not in the conventional sense but damn good
 
I've always been a fan of the vintage Bose 501 and 601 speakers.

I would love to hear a set of vintage Bose 8.2 speakers
 
OP, I see that you have a Bose on every one of your systems. It might be fun to experiment with all the good advices you got so far on your main system.

Since the speakers make the most difference in sound, some think that should be the most expensive unit (quality).

You have nice Pioneer and Thorens, so if you match the quality with a speaker upgrade, you can squeeze out more quality from your already good system - just a thought.

Hope it helps...and please keep us informed of your moves and impressions.
 
Okay, so most of my life I have owned Bose 501's and 901's I think of Bose as being a live sound(all around stereo sound) and other speakers I've listen to over the years like JBL, Infinity, ADS I consider them to be studio speakers(with a small area of stereo sound) move out of that area and your only hearing one side or the other.........am I wrong thinking this way.

I don't think you're wrong, as that's been my experience, too. With Bose, whether the 301's in the living room, a 321 GS home theater system, or even the Wave radio, I get surprisingly even tonality and dynamics everywhere in the room. With some other speakers I've owned, get out of the "sweet spot," and what you hear from your system changes markedly. Also, even when sitting well off-axis, such as far to the left of even the left speaker, I don't get that sense of the sound just emanating from the box closest to me, but of coming from between the speakers. My Bose are pleasant to listen to anywhere in my strangely laid out, long and narrow apartment living room/kitchen/office area, despite their having to be sited nearer one end of the room and firing into the width rather than the length.

Not in my current living space, but in a home where it could be managed, I've gotten another rather pleasing stereo-everywhere effect with Klipsch speakers placed in the corners of the long wall of the room and toed in at 45 degrees. This is the standard, recommended placement for all Klipsch classic speakers, and it's remarkably effective.

Vandersteen speakers allowed greater precision with soundstage and imaging effects, but only, of course, if you were seated in "the chair" with the speakers' position, orientation, and tilt precisely aimed for best effect in that seated location. Vandersteens are not what I would call studio speakers, but they do a lot of things right, are well-built and well-supported, and, if you appreciate the things they do well, are tremendous bargains at their respective price points.
 
If you decide you really love the dipole/panel speaker idea, but your taste runs to loud metal, you might be better off with Acoustats. They're harder to drive, so you'll need a good amp, but they are probably the toughest panel speakers, and the larger ones can really rock out!

Boston Acoustics right ???

I have an SX-1280 receiver that has a little bit of power to drive a set of speakers :D


Actually, your music list brings the Ohm Walsh speakers back to my mind. I think they'd likely be a better fit for you. Used Walsh 2s are very reasonably priced on the used market, and had cloth surrounds, so most are very trouble free. Walsh 3s (non "XO" version) also had rubber surrounds, but all the other models had foam surrounds, and will likely need attention by now.

I remember OHM Walsh from BITD they kicked ass :thmbsp: and used sets can be found pretty cheap.........they can even be sent back to Walsh for repair/upgrades too :yes: what's a "(non "XO" version)" :scratch2:

Is there any AK members currently using OHM Walsh Speakers ???

~Mike
 
Last edited:
Boston Acoustics right ???

I have an SX-1280 receiver that has a little bit of power to drive a set of speakers :D
Boston Acoustics has nothing to do with Acoustat. All Acoustat speakers are either full range electrostatics or add a sub woofer for low frequencies.

Although I've never tried to drive Magnepans with an SX-1280 according to the members here there are really no receivers that do an adequate job running Magnepans.

I remember OHM Walsh from BITD they kicked ass :thmbsp: and used sets can be found pretty cheap.........they can even be sent back to Walsh for repair/upgrades too :yes: what's a "(non "XO" version)" :scratch2:

Is there any AK members currently using OHM Walsh Speakers ???

~Mike

The acronym "non XO" usually means no crossover. Ohm F's and A's had no crossover. Ohm Acoustics will rebuild most of the current and fairly recent Ohm models. For the Model A and F there AFAIK two places that rebuild them. One is Miller Sound in PA the other I couldn't find in a quick Google search.
 
Boston Acoustics has nothing to do with Acoustat. All Acoustat speakers are either full range electrostatics or add a sub woofer for low frequencies.

Thanks for the information on the Acoustats

Although I've never tried to drive Magnepans with an SX-1280 according to the members here there are really no receivers that do an adequate job running Magnepans.

Wonder why :scratch2: it puts out enough power I would think and an EQ should be able to make any further sound adjustments.

SX-1280:
Power Output: 185 watts per channel RMS into 8 ohms.
Harmonic Distortion: Less than 0.03%
Intermodulation Distortion: Less than 0.01%


The acronym "non XO" usually means no crossover. Ohm F's and A's had no crossover. Ohm Acoustics will rebuild most of the current and fairly recent Ohm models. For the Model A and F there AFAIK two places that rebuild them. One is Miller Sound in PA the other I couldn't find in a quick Google search.

XO = cross over :thmbsp: got it :smoke:

I found on OHM's web site they will rebuild or upgrade all their older speakers 1 ~ 5 & A ~ G2's

http://www.ohmspeakers.com/store_item_list.cfm?TYPE=Walsh%20Series&cart_ID=524828259889


~Mike
 
I had 3-way Interaudio SA1000 and 2-way SA2000 and pretty good sound.

attachment.php

My friend has a pair of Interaudio SA-500's which are 10" 2-way. I think they sound decent. A bit lacking up top but that may be the cone tweeter they used.

I would love to hear a pair of 901's in a properly set up room. Never have heard them in my 25+ years of audio
 
I have two sets of the second most maligned brand of speakers on AK: Klipsch. At $400 a pair, I think the RB-51ii bookshelf speakers sound incredible. On the other hand, the ProMedia 2.1 "THX Certified" system I have connected to the computer is ho-hum (though it could be that I use the cheap-ass internal sound card and only listen to compressed music through the computer).

Regarding Bose, I have an older Wave AM/FM/CD player that doesn't do much form me. I mostly use it as an alarm clock. That said, some folks rave about the 901s, et al. - even AKers.
 
Thanks for the information on the Acoustats



Wonder why :scratch2: it puts out enough power I would think and an EQ should be able to make any further sound adjustments.

SX-1280:
Power Output: 185 watts per channel RMS into 8 ohms.
Harmonic Distortion: Less than 0.03%
Intermodulation Distortion: Less than 0.01%




XO = cross over :thmbsp: got it :smoke:

I found on OHM's web site they will rebuild or upgrade all their older speakers 1 ~ 5 & A ~ G2's

http://www.ohmspeakers.com/store_item_list.cfm?TYPE=Walsh%20Series&cart_ID=524828259889


~Mike

You know much about cars, Mike? Specifically, torque multiplication....like what makes a car with 4.11 rear-end gears able to accelerate faster than a car with 3.23's when they have the same engine with the same amount of power/torque? Your amp has 3.23's. An amp with a bigger power supply (transformer) which produces more current has 4.11's. Watts are important, but with a speaker design that is considered a "difficult load" (4 ohms or less) current matters as well. I mentioned Klipsch Fortes earlier...that's a speaker that is the exact opposite of a "difficult load". Neither is better than the other sound wise, necessarily, but it does take a more robust ($$$) amplifier to drive a speaker that is considered a "difficult load". That's a very simplified explanation and there is more to it than that (as I'm sure some will point out), but hopefully that kind of answers your question.

- Michael
 
I have two sets of the second most maligned brand of speakers on AK: Klipsch. At $400 a pair, I think the RB-51ii bookshelf speakers sound incredible. On the other hand, the ProMedia 2.1 "THX Certified" system I have connected to the computer is ho-hum (though it could be that I use the cheap-ass internal sound card and only listen to compressed music through the computer).

Regarding Bose, I have an older Wave AM/FM/CD player that doesn't do much form me. I mostly use it as an alarm clock. That said, some folks rave about the 901s, et al. - even AKers.

I have owned Klipsch Speakers since 1990 and I cannot understand the hating on them. I don't run them on any kind of boutique amplifier just Kenwood and Yamaha amplification and have never found myself not enjoying them.
 
Wonder why :scratch2: it puts out enough power I would think and an EQ should be able to make any further sound adjustments.

~Mike

An equalizer can not make up for an amplifier that has inadequate current output and reserves. The inability to properly drive 4 Ohm or lower loads is the main reason most receivers don't do very well driving Magnepans.

Don't even try using one for driving Acoustats. IME they are totally inadequate. There are other speakers that are not receiver friendly. Among them are any Infinity with Watkins woofers. Speakers with a load that is or below 4 Ohms will usually not work well with most receivers.

Klipsch and JBL owners;
I meant no offense when I stated my dislike of them. I was only stating my personal opinion. Both brands are extremely popular here and on other forums. My dislike of them is more the exception than the rule. It's just that when I speak out it's like the squeaky wheel. You don't hear opinions like mine very often. So when you do it gets noticed.
 
Last edited:
I have Bose 701 series 4 towers and 301-4 surrounds and Bose center in the HT set up along with a separate 15" powered sub for HT and casual listening they are fine. not the best not the worst . I do like everywhere sound there in that application and room .

I think jrtrent and 70'sAudio summed up my similar Bose experiences and opinions well in post 68

I have owned 901's in the past and fed them at the time with an phase linear 700b 350 wpc loud Oh yeah if you wanted sound everywhere ? around the block if you want.

I've also owned Altec model 19's fed those with a smaller Hafler amp in hindsight that is one pair I wish I would have kept they would be excellent with a powered sub same for the heritage Klipsch I alwayse liked Corner horns Lascalas ,Belles and Cornwall's never much cared for the Heresys though .

In the studio with room treatment I have pro studio monitors midfield, nearfield and large the big ones are EV SentryIII's they can do things the Bose and a lot of other speakers can't . The monitors are fairly flat ,smooth and accurate as well as clean
there are also two dedicated powered subs in there to handle the the low when needed.

The horns in the EVs can add amazing detail and dynamics that few other types of speakers can. Needless to say that is the more critical listening area in the house but again these are subjective observations based on my experiences others experience , opinions and preferences may of course differ from mine.
My preferences could change as well after all I haven't heard everything on the planet far from it.

It's the old sweet spot vs sound everywhere . The monitors of course have more dynamic range and accuracy but the Bose have that everywhere bi polar sound ,
wouldn't mind trying a set of higher quality bi polars maybe some def techs or something and then maybe some panels with a sub also just never got around to it.

I listened to some Viennas and Salks once very good but like was mentioned earlier you have to be
"in the seat" with those. I've always been a JBL and Klipsch fan also I've heard many good examples of both .
Of course a set of JBL everest or some Tad horn speakers would be good but out of my budget .
lots of good suggestions here all around.

I might suggest as others have that the OP might want to try some Horn types the dynamics and soundstage may be to his liking (maybe some inexpensive used Klipsch KG type speakers to start) he can always flip them if they do not suit him . Of course some JBL L series monitor types (or similar speakers ) also might be worth a shot .
anyways half the fun is trying different stuff when you can .
 
Last edited:
...The acronym "non XO" usually means no crossover. Ohm F's and A's had no crossover. Ohm Acoustics will rebuild most of the current and fairly recent Ohm models. For the Model A and F there AFAIK two places that rebuild them. One is Miller Sound in PA the other I couldn't find in a quick Google search.

Actually, I was referring to the later Ohm Walsh models that carried the XO suffix. After the Ohm Walsh 1,2,3,&4s came out, they "improved" them with modified grills, and crossovers to increase their sensitivity. They were then rechristened as Ohm Walsh 1xo,2xo,3xo,&4xo. Unfortunately, they changed the Walsh 2s & 3s to foam surrounds at the same time, shortening their effective life spans. IMO, for this reason, the best deals are the original Walsh 2s, or 3s because you don't need to worry about opening the cans to replace surrounds, or sending them back to Ohm for upgrades.

The original full range Walsh speakers were/are very impressive, when working right, but it's arguable how many (if any) folks can really restore them to sound like they should. I have looked into, and listened to several "restored" Ohm Fs, and I've not yet heard any that sounded like I remember them sounding new.
 
Boston Acoustics right ???

I have an SX-1280 receiver that has a little bit of power to drive a set of speakers :D




I remember OHM Walsh from BITD they kicked ass :thmbsp: and used sets can be found pretty cheap.........they can even be sent back to Walsh for repair/upgrades too :yes: what's a "(non "XO" version)" :scratch2:

Is there any AK members currently using OHM Walsh Speakers ???

~Mike

I don't understand the reference to Boston Acoustics. I was referring to types of panel speakers, Boston has never, to my knowledge, has only made boxed speakers.

Over the years I've had several Walsh speakers (at least one pair of Fs,1s,2s,3s,4s, & Sound Cylinders), and I still have a pair of Walsh2s, and SCs. I guess you could say I'm a Walsh fan! :thmbsp:

...I have Ohm C2s & Es too, guess I'm really just an Ohm fan. :D
 
Good point.....I love the vinyl.

SX-1280, PL-518 / Thorens TD-160

My music of choice would have to be from the 60's through early 80's rock~metal electric/acoustic~live/studio

Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Steely Dan, 10yrs After, Grand Funk, Who, Doors, Boston, CCR, Metallica, Mega Death, Rush, Stones, Greatfull Dead, SRV, Jethro Tull, Iron Maiden......just to name a very few :yes: :music:

~Mike

When you talk about studio monitors there is a very good chance that most of these bands had JBL studio monitors in their recording studios. JBL sound systems can be found in theaters, concert halls, stadiums, churches, homes, recording studios and even cars ...did I miss anything? :scratch2:

I don't think any other speaker company has that kind of coverage. Try to check out some of their vintage studio monitors or something from the L series. You will probably find something that you like. :thmbsp:

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/profiles/jbl/l100.htm
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom