• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Diehard Bose Head

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so most of my life I have owned Bose 501's and 901's I think of Bose as being a live sound(all around stereo sound) and other speakers I've listen to over the years like JBL, Infinity, ADS I consider them to be studio speakers(with a small area of stereo sound) move out of that area and your only hearing one side or the other.........am I wrong thinking this way.

My Bose have the highs and the lows I get an all around the room no matter where I am sitting live stereo sound and like that.

I'm thinking about getting some studio monitor type of speakers just wanted to hear everyones thoughts on the subject.


Thanks again, Mike.

But with those 501's you have to have a room that has enough room to go around! They have pretty demanding placement requirements to work correctly; you have to have space around them for those rear-firing tweeters to function, and it adds up.

There's a poster on Audio Asylum, pretty knowledgeable, too, who liked the 501's, but he pointed out the room requirements.

I actually picked up a pair of 501 series II's from a consignment shop and refoamed the woofers. The result? A pretty decent speaker, somewhat soft, but I don't think I have them really set up correctly - too close to a sofa, which they flank. One of them fires back to my front door. But that's about the best I can do with them.
 
the title of this thread should have been diehard sx 1280 fan.
seems like the op is ready to jump bose ship to whatever, as long as the 1280 is driving.

lots of good recommendations here. my recommendation is to listen to as many speakers and systems as you can before laying down hard earned scratch on something. there are lots of fish in the audio sea. resale is a PITA
 
OHMWalsh2.png


The OHM Walsh 2 speakers
Production Period 1982-1989
Amplifiers Recommended 125 watts
Impedance (typical) 4 ohms
Frequency Response 42 - 17,000 Hz
Sensitivity @ 2.8 Volts 88 dB
Recommended Room Sizes up to 400 sq.ft.

My livingroom/Diningroom is about 450sq feet with a vaulted ceiling

Will I have any problem using my SX-1280 or Onkyo M-5104 Amp w/P-3160 PreAmp with these Walsh 2's :scratch2:


~Thanks again for all the help, Mike.
 
Last edited:
the title of this thread should have been diehard sx 1280 fan.
seems like the op is ready to jump bose ship to whatever, as long as the 1280 is driving.

lots of good recommendations here. my recommendation is to listen to as many speakers and systems as you can before laying down hard earned scratch on something. there are lots of fish in the audio sea. resale is a PITA

No, I'm not ready to jump off the Bose Band Wagon I'm just open to other speaker options and looking to see what others were using......as for my SX~1280 I'm very fond of it but I'm willing to try other power sources too.

I did get turned on to a free Onkyo M-5140 Amp with a P-3160 preamp just today from good friend of mine :thmbsp: hoping to set it up later and check it out..........I always liked the Onkyo M-504 Dual mono power amp with P-30preamp from BITD had a very clean sound from what I remember :smoke:


~Mike
 
No, I'm not ready to jump off the Bose Band Wagon I'm just open to other speaker options and looking to see what others were using......as for my SX~1280 I'm very fond of it but I'm willing to try other power sources too.

I did get turned on to a free Onkyo M-5140 Amp with a P-3160 preamp just today from good friend of mine :thmbsp: hoping to set it up later and check it out..........I always liked the Onkyo M-504 Dual mono power amp with P-30preamp from BITD had a very clean sound from what I remember :smoke:


~Mike

Hey Mike,

I think I can offer some insight to you.

I think I am understanding your analogy correctly, when you mention that Bose has a "live stereo sound" and other speakers like JBL and Infinity are more "Studio" sound.

When you say live, do you mean that you can feel the music more, the music is more emotional, more enjoyable? Whereas with say JBL speakers you find it's more of a clinical, in-and-out, less emotional more "accurate" type of sound? In other words, you feel like you can really rock out more with the Bose speakers and that's why you like 'em so much, not to mention the sound radiating around the room?

If I'm getting what you're saying correctly, than I think I get what you mean. For me a really important quality in a speaker is its ability to convey emotion. Emotion has the word "motion" in it, and a speaker has to have lots of it or else I'm not grooving (or inducing motion :) ). If the Bose are doing that for you, then it makes perfect sense to me why you keep them. It's exactly the same reason I enjoy my Kef 107's so much. I have some other great speakers here and have also had the opportunity to listen to many other great speakers, and that has always been the deciding factor for me if I enjoy them or not.

In terms of suggestions for other speakers, it's hard to say because every speaker sounds different and also has different amplification requirements. That 1280 of yours is quite a power house though, and I imagine that Onkyo you just picked up is a good power amp too. My advice would be to zone in on what you really like about the Bose, try and describe your experience with them in more detail, and then choose other speakers that also have those same qualities but present them better. See if maybe some of your buddies have some speakers you think may do the trick and try them out in your set-up.

I personally find it odd that Bose gets so much heat around here, because it's like Cerwin Vega, what they do they do really well and you have to give credit where credit is due. Bose included. Above anything, it's about enjoying the tunes :music:

I hope that's at least a little helpful. Feel free to ask any questions.. I'm always happy to answer.
 
OHMWalsh2.png


The OHM Walsh 2 speakers
Production Period 1982-1989
Amplifiers Recommended 125 watts
Impedance (typical) 4 ohms
Frequency Response 42 - 17,000 Hz
Sensitivity @ 2.8 Volts 88 dB
Recommended Room Sizes up to 400 sq.ft.

Will I have any problem using my SX-1280 or Onkyo M-5104 Amp w/P-3160 PreAmp with these Walsh 2's :scratch2:

My livingroom/Diningroom is about 450sq feet with a vaulted ceiling


~Thanks again for all the help, Mike.

The reason I'm asking about these OHM Walsh 2's is I found a very clean set locally for less then 200.00........:scratch2:

~Mike
 
There is a lot of anti-receiver sentiment floating around here . Mike , your Sx-1280 will drive most any speaker with out breaking a sweat .
 
There is a lot of anti-receiver sentiment floating around here . Mike , your Sx-1280 will drive most any speaker with out breaking a sweat .

Not so. Saying that most receivers don't/won't drive difficult or low impedance loads like Magnepans, Acoustats or Infinities with Watkins woofers is simply the truth.:scratch2:
 
The reason I'm asking about these OHM Walsh 2's is I found a very clean set locally for less then 200.00........:scratch2:

~Mike

if indeed they are in good working order, snatch them!

That's a great price, and Ohm walsh 2 is a very good speaker.

I predict you'll be pleasantly surprised.

don't worry 'bout your reciever it's fine.

jaz
 
There is a lot of anti-receiver sentiment floating around here . Mike , your Sx-1280 will drive most any speaker with out breaking a sweat .

Depends on how inefficient the speakers are and how low the ohms dip. Making a blanket statement without looking at the specs (in this case) is a bit reckless don't you think?
 
Depends on how inefficient the speakers are and how low the ohms dip. Making a blanket statement without looking at the specs (in this case) is a bit reckless don't you think?

Thanks for making my point . Blanket statements about receivers is reckless . :thmbsp:
 
Not so. Saying that most receivers don't/won't drive difficult or low impedance loads like Magnepans, Acoustats or Infinities with Watkins woofers is simply the truth.:scratch2:

Aren't you the one that has never owned a receiver ? :scratch2:
 
Aren't you the one that has never owned a receiver ? :scratch2:

What does that have to do with my post?

After 45+ years in this hobby I've met plenty of others who own or have owned them including just about all of the more coveted ones. That includes the Pioneer receiver the OP owns.

I don't need to own a Prius to know it can't out run a Ferrari.
 
If you have never owned a receiver yourself , you are simply echoing the thoughts of others . Plenty of separates can't drive the speakers you mentioned either . I am not trying to ruffle feathers here . The OP is looking for speakers outside of his Bose comfort zone . His Pioneer receiver is up to the task of driving almost any speaker .

I own separtes and recivers . The ONLY reason I went to separates on my main system was for more power .

Oh , and receivers and separates are way closer the Prius and Ferrari . :D
 
Last edited:
The OP is looking for speakers outside of his Bose comfort zone . His Pioneer receiver is up to the task of driving almost any speaker .

I didn't read all eleven pages, but the information the OP found and linked to would seem to indicate otherwise. Other past threads I've seen about his Pioneer have also suggested finding speakers with a "friendly" impedance curve, one that doesn't dip much below 6 ohms at any frequency. That leaves an awful lot of good speakers to choose from; for example, Vandersteen speakers are considered to be a reasonably easy load.
 
The speakers I mentioned (Magneplanar, Acoustat, especially any speaker with a Watkins woofer) are widely known to be unsuitable for most receivers.

I also spoke from experience. I've owned Magneplanars or Acoustats since 1976. In those many years more than one of my friends has brought a receiver over to try on my Acoustats or the Magnepans I previously owned.

I'm well aware that there are some separates that have the same problems. Even so, there are far fewer separates with current starvation problems than receivers.

I have no particular axe to grind over any receiver. I'm merely stating the truth.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom