• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Diy TT project

well, thinking on it, the ipod solution could be almost if not as accurate as a quartz lock system in the better Japanese DD tables like technics, denon, sony, etc.

and with the mass of that platter, it would iron out any small fluctuations cause by any irregularities or inaccuracies caused by the ipod/amplifier section.

This is a badass project.

and instead of the ipod, you could use any cheap USB stick type of MP3 player (as long as it tests good) that supports wav, and embed it into the unit with the controls integrated.
 
Small update, got a powdercoating gun from harbour frieght and gave it a go:

powdertest.jpg


Just a scrap endbell that i gave a very quick blast to see how the process worked, its a bit undercoated but the gloss is surprising.
 
Looks great. I've been working with PC for years and am always surprised at how shinny the pieces come out. Yep, just a tad undercoated. You can recoat it though.
 
Small update, got a powdercoating gun from harbour frieght and gave it a go:



Just a scrap endbell that i gave a very quick blast to see how the process worked, its a bit undercoated but the gloss is surprising.

Edd,

That looks like the cap my mother used to make me wear to elementary school. It needs a fuzzy yarn ball on top however.

Best Regards,
TerryO
 
Edd, also it works a lot better if you pre-heat the before you powder coat it.

Ive heard that, Im realy just at the make a mess phase, plenty of time to experiment before I attempt to powder coat the turntable.

I like the idea of a textured/wrinkle finish on the base, and some kind of shiney red or similar on the motor/tonearm pods, not realy made up my mind. Ill probably leave the platter plain, or clearcoat it, too many choices :D
 
Having been away from my workshop for 5 months and finally getting back to it this week, I'm hoping to get the TT project back underway. I spent a bit today sizeing up the base for trimming on the lathe.
 
Small update. I found some new pieces to make the base with so had a little experiment with them.

IMGP1377.jpg


They are in better condition than the other one so it should make life easier. Who knows, it might get finished one day.
 
I like it....a lot. Between your project and Dave's project, I feel the need to finish mine. I have everything exect the drive (personal) to finish it.
 
I like it....a lot. Between your project and Dave's project, I feel the need to finish mine. I have everything exect the drive (personal) to finish it.

Dennis,

You're referring to the Marble Mountain Monster Turntable aren't you?
I, for one, and I'm certain there are plenty more members that would love to see it when it's done.
:banana:

Best Regards,
TerryO
 
Yep Terry, that's it. When I broke in half last year I was so distraut I just put it aside. I know how to fix it and have all the parts to complete it so maybe it is time. I am also fighting with not having a paycheck for the last 7 months and don't feel like messing with my toys.

But now that I've gone public with my thinking, I think I will glue it together tonight!
 
Back
Top Bottom