• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Do the MC250 and MC2100 sound alike?

kuisis

Active Member
I really like the sound of my MC250 and was wondering if the MC2100 sounds similar? I have Klipsch LaScala speakers and a Juicy Music Peach preamp.

Thanks
Tom
 
Register to hide this ad
Nice combo. I have two of those MC250's and have La Scalas.

Never heard a 2100. I'm interested in any comments too.

jc
 
Thanks, I like it. I was thinking about picking up a 2100, but I don't know if it's an improvement

Tom
 
I have a 250 and LaScalas...great combo!

I've never heard a 2100 but have been told it and its brother the 2105 have a slightly darker sound....but can't say for sure!
 
I used a 250 for almost 30 years as my main amp but when I changed speakers after all that time they seemed to want just a hair more power and I started shopping around for a replacment. I finally ended up with a MC2105, the metered and glass faced version of the 2100. The sonic charactor of both of these amps is very close. The 3db more headroom helps a might in the bass power but I think the 250 had a might more detail as a tradeoff. Mids and highs when running the 2 amps at the same average power levels are all but the same. When I was shopping for my amp decades ago I compared the then in production units and from memory there was vitually no difference in sound on the speakers tested with that included KLH Nines, the speakers I used in my sytem, Bozaks 305s (today I use Symphonys that replaced the Nines), KLH 12 and 5s, McIntosh ML4 and 2, AR 3a and Wharfedale W70Ds. As the Nines had a maximum amp voltage that if exceeded could melt the wiring and the 2100/2105 exceeded the voltage, I stayed with the 250. In hindsight I'd like to have gotten the MC2505 back then and now would prefer the MC2100 over the MC2105. An issue of displaying those meters back then vs having space limitations requiring the 2105 to be hidden today.

The LaScalas I think are 104db for 1 watt. The question boils down to how much heardroom do you need and the dynamic range.

001 watts 104
002 107
004 110
008 113
016 116
032 119
064 121 (my MC250 puts out 75 watts rms per channel at well below the guarenteed specs)
128 123

I think audible pain sets in at about 120 db so the MC250 should be sufficient for the speakers. Must remember at average liseing levels we are talking about somewhere around 70 - 75db. Assuming Cds have a 40db dynamic range, the 250 should be pretty much in the slot for the LaScala with the 2100 more likely providing just a bit more headroom at the extreme dynamic range that possibly the 250 may clip at. This of course assumes no driver compression that should be less of a factor than with an acoustic suspension driver system.

As to what you woll hear will depend on the actual condition of each amp after all these years as they've aged and differences between your examples may be more than with mine.

In the FWIW deptartment, I have a set of Heresy IIs and at the same average amp power level (using a RS power meter) through my C28, I could perceive no difference in sound other than when I pushd them for dynamic range. I could clip the 250 first obviously but, at levels I could not stay in the same room as the speakers without starting to physically feel it.
 
I have the metered versions of both (MC2505 & MC2105). The former is NOT recapped, but the latter is (by Mr. DeWick). They both sound quite similar and even sound as warm as a tubed-MC240. :naughty:
 
I have both MC250 and MC2100. Never compared them head to head. Have Khorns, LaScalas, Cornwalls and Heresys to test. Never got around to it.
 
Not that I don't think that the MC2100 isn't a handsome amplifier, but I think that the MC250 is a great looking amp.
 
I agree but now that I'm older and thinking of downsizing having a MC2505 in case stacks nicely on top a MX112 or 113 in case and can sit on a shelf. Putting a MC2105 on a shelf is a challenge and having one sit on top of a MX sends chills through me. The 2100 is every bit as beautiful as the MC250 and can be hidden behind without guilt of losing sight of the meters and the lovliness of the glass front panel of the MC2105.
 
Back
Top Bottom