• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Do you like the new format???

Status
Not open for further replies.
NO!!! need the email subscribed thread notice feature, unless I can't find it!
You need to click on the "more options" button, and you can select that in that window.
Options:
  • Watch this thread...
    • and receive email notifications

;)

That turns on the email for the thread you post in, or are watching. For global email notices, click on your user name in upper right of page, click on preferences (which opens a pop-up named Browsing preferences), and you can adjust your thread and notice choices.

Oh, and most importantly for our forum.....the search function still cannot distinguish particular model names from the general brand. For example, if I want to search the forums for Luxman L-85v, I will get a bunch of threads for "Luxman", which have nothing to do with the model number. Is this not a critical function of the forum? To be able to segregate by model number? Or am I missing a search technique?

Did you try using quotes around it "Luxman L-85v" or use Luxman + L-85v or similar logic?

Great job on the conversion. I'm amazed by what was accomplished and in so little time, and the fact it's up and working again, period.

One question: Is the stripping of images from sig lines permanent or a work-in-progress? Or is it just the way I'm viewing the forums? All I see in anyone's signature with an image is this: [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think everyone with a pic in their sig is going to have to reload it (unless they are working on it uploading later) and resize it to fit.

petehall, try this smaller version of your sig pic, I resized it offline in Microsoft Office Picture Manager to 100 x 100:

small scan.jpg
 
That turns on the email for the thread you post in, or are watching. For global email notices, click on your user name in upper right of page, click on preferences (which opens a pop-up named Browsing preferences), and you can adjust your thread and notice choices.



Did you try using quotes around it "Luxman L-85v" or use Luxman + L-85v or similar logic?



I think everyone with a pic in their sig is going to have to reload it (unless they are working on it uploading later) and resize it to fit.

petehall, try this smaller version of your sig pic, I resized it offline in Microsoft Office Picture Manager to 100 x 100:

View attachment 629457
lets see if that worked ... please leave you post intact with pic as that's where i linked it from ...
 
I was going to just "like" this, but instead I'll quote it and say I totally agree and thus not defeat the intention of the post or anger you by "liking" it lol! :D

Again, though, I'm halfway OK with the "like" feature for reasons articulated above, but point systems and rewards and etc. is just horrid, just juvenile, and only serves to engender competition, strife, division, and elitism where there is none and should be none. These features on social media serve to infantilize too many of us and are a obvious ploy to get more people to post more often to compete for these nonsensical empty status tiers (the ones who actually care about their online status on forums full of strangers at least).

Anyway, I've been trying to stay away from AK lately and now I've got some solid reasons to...though I still like to share my music! :cool:


But I want my like!!! LOL.

Elitism, infantize, division...good analogies and I wholeheartdly agree.

The main thing is the layout for me...its blinding my eyes and looks like so many other forums. The old layout was great and very appealing.
 
NO.

I like the old style much better. If a forum wants people to participate, it seems to me that it should be a simple and intuitive experience. This format seems more difficult to navigate than the last two were -- at least in my opinion.

Is this a sign of my age perhaps? I can get around alright, but I'm also a little ahead of the curve in my age group (~60).

Fran
 
Haven't read every reply here, but what I really don't like about the new format, is that there is much less visual presence and impact. From our words, and icons or avatars or whatever they're called, to the LPs that are posted - there is a diminshed impact. The whole thing is kind of clinical.
 
This is brand new and they are working things out. Like other software, the old version was out of date and full of holes (which weren't patched any more). To be more secure, a newer version had to be used.

The people working on the site also are doing this free. It does take a bit to tweak complicated software. Give them a chance.....

I know they are trying to work things out, that there may some improvements, and that there were problems with the old format. I'm just talking about the look.
 
I do like the new format, as it looks more elegant and loads much faster for me. Thank you to all the folks working hard to make such a huge transition go pretty smoothly. I'm amazed at how much was preserved as we went to a whole new platform.
 
This is brand new and they are working things out. Like other software, the old version was out of date and full of holes (which weren't patched any more). To be more secure, a newer version had to be used.

The people working on the site also are doing this free. It does take a bit to tweak complicated software. Give them a chance.....


Anyone catch that issue a week or so ago, when every thread was some type of auction thing?? VERY freaky. I'm guessing someone had hacked us, or some such.
 
NO!!! need the email subscribed thread notice feature, unless I can't find it!
Still not getting email notices,,, seems all the buttons are checked, email address is correct... does it work for you guys?
I can see there are new posts, they show up in "alerts"
 
I like the old fashion way of agreeing or "liking" someone's post over clicking a like button.

+1 .... ^^^^All of this ..... ^^yep^^
 
First, thank you moderators for all your hard work keeping the site going. Second, I do not like this new look/format. It seems more difficult to read and there is a lot of wasted space between postings.

 
No. No, I don't.

Where's the user CP? How do you tell subscribers from the rank and file? Where are my prior posts? What's with all this Facebook-inspired "like" crap? Have we all turned into teenage girls? I subscribed to AK for the content, not for a bunch of gadgets and "features" and it now seems very difficult to access that content. I know, I know ... learning curve, embrace change, yadda-yadda, but this isn't the only forum that's done this to me lately, and quite frankly I'm getting kind of sick of going through an entire re-education process every time I want to find a little information or light entertainment on my computer.

In the same boat here...tough to read. And no pub:(
 
I have spent a little time with the new version and I can navigate okay, but for my old eyes, a little more contrast with the colors and the text would make it much easier for me to read. I am only one old disabled person, so my needs are probably not as important as having a web site with a modern look to it.
 
The look goes along with the new software. Like going from Win 7 to Win 10......

Yeah, I'm not sure how all of this stuff is done. None of what I'm saying is meant as a disparagement of what the site is trying to achieve. Again, I was just commenting on the look of the new format.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom