• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Do you like the new format???

Status
Not open for further replies.
OOPPPSS I noticed you will receive an "alert" when somebody "likes" your answers , and you have a menu with "likes you received " ... ???

I definitely don't like that feature...

EDITED: DISCOVERED YOU CAN DISABLE THE "ALERTS", IN AN ALERTS PREFERENCES WINDOW :) :) :banana: (the banana icon doesn't work anymore...)

I think it's a question of different generations... I'd make some statistics to see the average age-profile of the users, to adapt the new format to the AK users. I know everything can be "customized".
 
What is THAT all about?? Do we win prizes. Do we do "deals" to accumulate points. The IB in me needs to know!! :)
Ray

+1, all kind of "accomplishments" seems no sense for me. I even abandoned a forum where you had to "value" every response, so they ranked the people with more "solutions", in a kind of weekly, monthly and historical rank. :{ You have even a "king of forum" every week. :{ I didn't like that.

Glad others feel the same; I thought I might be voicing an unpopular opinion or sounding like an old humorless curmudgeon (I'm not even 40 actually and pretty easy going as to most things).

This is an issue that plagues all too many social media sites (hence why I try to stay away from as many of those as possible) and now AK finally jumped on the "made up rewards for non accomplishments" bandwagon. 'Tis a shame: sorry, I think at least some of us are adults and don't need to validate ourselves by our ranking on (mostly) totally anonymous sites with hollow "accomplishments" and "rewards". Take my trophies away please! :p

As to the "like" feature, I feel sort of the same way, as it could be used as a vulgar popularity contest tool, but it does have some actual legitimacy as it allows us to support posts we feel are of value.

Then again, the old "quote and reply" feature worked well for that...but the "like" feature is easier and disrupts the thread less (no endless quotes and replies of support).
 
No. Sorry guys. I work with software all day long and have had little trouble adapting to the various GUIs. This one is not an improvement. I cannot access my old posts. Text is way too small. There is no real tangible improvement in the list of Forums and how they are navigated. I suspect, however, that there is a huge saving in bandwidth. That is good.
 
Oh, and most importantly for our forum.....the search function still cannot distinguish particular model names from the general brand. For example, if I want to search the forums for Luxman L-85v, I will get a bunch of threads for "Luxman", which have nothing to do with the model number. Is this not a critical function of the forum? To be able to segregate by model number? Or am I missing a search technique?
 
Social media has officially ruined lots forums IMHO...including this one. With all the cheesy likes, trophies, points etc. Who the hell really cares? And the colors and layout are childish. The old layout was more inviting, serious & way easier to read & navigate. But hey, that is just my 2 cents for whats its worth...I have seen quite a few people like it.
 
Social media has officially ruined lots forums IMHO...including this one. With all the cheesy likes, trophies, points etc. Who the hell really cares?

I was going to just "like" this, but instead I'll quote it and say I totally agree and thus not defeat the intention of the post or anger you by "liking" it lol! :D

Again, though, I'm halfway OK with the "like" feature for reasons articulated above, but point systems and rewards and etc. is just horrid, just juvenile, and only serves to engender competition, strife, division, and elitism where there is none and should be none. These features on social media serve to infantilize too many of us and are a obvious ploy to get more people to post more often to compete for these nonsensical empty status tiers (the ones who actually care about their online status on forums full of strangers at least).

Anyway, I've been trying to stay away from AK lately and now I've got some solid reasons to...though I still like to share my music! :cool:
 
Well, let's see.......
I listen to records from the 60's and 70's played on a turntable made in the early 70's. It is amplified by an integrated amp made in the late 70's, driving speakers that were made in the early 80's

It appears I just like the old stuff better...:)
 
Great job on the conversion. I'm amazed by what was accomplished and in so little time, and the fact it's up and working again, period.

One question: Is the stripping of images from sig lines permanent or a work-in-progress? Or is it just the way I'm viewing the forums? All I see in anyone's signature with an image is this: [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
 
not liking so far - will be better when I can choose a darker skin.
My avatar doesn't blink anymore, but thats just cosmetic.
Trophy points? Useless, IMO
 
Great job on the conversion. I'm amazed by what was accomplished and in so little time, and the fact it's up and working again, period.

One question: Is the stripping of images from sig lines permanent or a work-in-progress? Or is it just the way I'm viewing the forums? All I see in anyone's signature with an image is this: [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
i tried fixing mine but it came out way too big and no way to resize ..none that i have found anyway
 
I like the new place. Took a little while to get over that it's new, but I'm digging it. You can disable the alerts if you want. I don't mind the "like" button - good for thumbs-upping albums in the "Today's XYZ Playlist" pages. Trophies can be done away with. Bring back the location tags to see where folks are from. Other than that, it's all good.
 
No I don't like it. But like a lot of things in life, particularly with computers, the "new improvements" seldom are. Remember how Yahoo mail used to be when it was blue and yellow?

I suspect that the changes are due to the forum software (if that's what it is called) having been updated. Nothing to do with the administrators or moderators. I've worked in IT, so I know what a task it must have been backing up all this data, and ensuring we had a working forum to open on Monday morning. Kudos to those involved.

Lee.
 
Last edited:
Guys, calm down. It's all a work in progress. It's been repeated time and time again that the intent was to get the forum back up and running as soon as possible. The alternative would've been taking the site down for a month and coming back with all the tweaks already in place.

Personally, I dig it. I can't wait until themes are enabled, but aside from that no major complaints really.
 
If it really matters, not fond of the new layout or look.
First issue. Tried to upload a few pictures yesterday and it would accept them, stating they were too large. On the old board, the same size pics were no problem.
 
After reading the above 103 posts, my eyes are on fire. I'll check in again in a day or two to see how things are going.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom