• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Does anyone REALLY find vintage tube gear at garage sales?!?

Well so much for the story, basically this is a Fisher Custom Futura Console. I'm by no means an expert, it appears to be a mono receiver with a J-10 designated chassis, S/N 78651. VERY clean chassis.

Someone just gave me the twin to that chassis.

Pretty sure the power & output are the same as the ones used on the Fisher 30A monoblock.
 
No tubes (other than consoles) yet, but I did land a MacIntosh 1900 SS receiver at a Church Sale this past weekend.

<Jaynemo, that is a beautiful console, BTW!>
 
I have bought at garage sales:

An aftermarket cabinet containing a pair of University 6201 Coaxial speakers (that I sold to a Japanese collector for $165) and a Bell 3030 Integrated Amplifier, for $35 total.

A Fisher Executive Console, that used what is basically an 800C chassis with a different faceplate, and also contained an Ampex Reel to Reel tape deck, for $60.

A Pair of Jensen Greater Triplex 3-way Speaker systems, that sold in 1955 for $312.70 each. I paid $75 for the two. One had a bad 15" woofer, a replacement for which I purchased from David Thatcher (Thatchear) for $175 including shipping.

A pair of Acrosound TO-300 Output transformers for 50 cents each.

A Dyna FM-3 for $5.

A Gibson GA-77 Guitar amp for $10.

A Hallicrafters SX-42 Communications receiver for $35. I resold it, as found, for $275.

These finds were so few and far between, that I do not think that it would have been worthwhile, if I was not also looking for other things.

Brian
 
Last edited:
My first tube find, got it today for 10 big ones.
Zenith Cobra Matic H664. circa 1951
 

Attachments

  • kenyon 045.jpg
    kenyon 045.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 45
  • kenyon 047.jpg
    kenyon 047.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 36
  • kenyon 049.jpg
    kenyon 049.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 40
I havent posted on here in a while. I just picked up a 1963 Motorola console model#skr152 at a Goodwill. It has a separate power amp with 10 tubes 3 12ax7 6 6v6gt and 1 3dg4 rectifier. The amp is a true 3 channel with a 15" center woofer and 5 smaller speakers on each side for a total of 11. The radio has 2 separate round dials for am and fm. It also has a reverb unit so it was a pretty high end stereo in its day. The funny thing is I only visit this store a couple of times a year. I got it for 6.99 so I think I got a bargain. It works aside from needing the controls cleaned and a little work to the turntable. I was lucky it went into the back seat of my car. I plan to keep it as is.
John
 
Ive found several maggie 6v6 amps, and some el84 amps as well. I'd like to have someone fix these up as stand alone amps since they all are tied to the premps usually.
 
A couple of years ago I found a Hammond OPT, model 468 (10K P-P to 4, 8, 16 ohms) at a garage sale for $1.00 - built a 10 watt (2 x 6V6) amp. with it. Around the same time I found an Electrohome console out with the trash for free (took the chassis and rebuilt it).
Nothing with tubes since... a desert!
Cheers,
Roger
Toronto, Canada.
 
My friend just got a Scott 350B tuner at a garage sale last weekend, it has a slight hum problem, but it's like 45 years old and everything in it is original.

Price? Ten bucks.

I bought a perfect looking old Fisher 400 receiver for $20 at a garage sale years ago. Sadly the transformer was shorted and it fried almost instantly. I had it in my basement for a long time, but I sold it to a friend's uncle who transplanted the good transformer from his rough looking, but fully functional 400, into the one I bought. The rough one was sold, on ebay I guess. I can't complain, he gave me $60 for it.

I found, and stupidly passed on, a really amazing looking Hammarlund HQ160 Shortwave radio and matching speaker, with manual and box, at a garage sale I came upon while walking my dog. The BBC was blasting out it, they had it sitting on a wagon on the driveway. It looked like it had just come out of the box, the owner had died and his kids were selling a lot of old stuff, mostly low end hifi stuff, but there were a few decent items.

I didn't need another shortwave, as I had a half dozen higher end modern ones, and I really wanted an HQ180A, one of the all time great tube radios. As I walked the dog home, I started thinking, "Are you nuts?", and as soon as I got home, I put the dog in the house, grabbed some cash, and got in my truck and hauled ass back to the sale. I missed it by about 5 minutes. It went for big bucks at a local hamfest a few months later.

But lately, the stuff goes on ebay for the most part. Toys, clothes, pictures, junk cameras are at every garage sale it seems, but once in a while, I find "The pot of gold", something really great. My last "gem" was a perfect looking Grundig Am/FM/SW table radio for $20 bucks. It worked great, and I sold it to my friend to give to his dad, who had the same radio when he was growing up. He looked and looked, but the ones he found were junk, had "moss" inside them (really), or looked ok, but were missing parts and were non functional. His dad called me up to thank me for thinking about him, since he knew it wasn't anything I would buy for myself.
 
Does anyone REALLY find vintage tube gear at garage sales?!?

I used to. Best I ever did was a scott 233 integrated, pilot 240 integrated, pilot 380 tuner, and universty 12" triaxials in soundcraftsman cabinets.

You're gonna hate me for this....all for only 20 bucks.


That was back in 2005 when I joined the site. Now you can't find squat, and what you can find you pay quite a bit for....
 
I have found several pieces around. 2 Pilots- a 602M with AR2a ($50) and a 654 ($8), a Bell Carillon ($10), a Bogen Challenger ($10) and a Heathkit WM5 ($40). A few others I can't recall right off the top of my head. I could write a book on the SS I have found. Hard to believe I have found that much in a decent size city (Portland, OR) with a lot of competition.
 
Absolutely!

Fender Champ Amp - $10
Dynakit ST-70 - $10
Dynakit PAS3 - $15
2 V-M 815 6v6 Amps - $10
Lafayette 224b - Free trash
Olson el84 receiver - $15
Various Motorola/Maggie consoles cheap or free
 
Actually, I found a Fisher console...

Complete with tube amp, tuner, and Ampex tape deck. The speakers were crap. I told the seller I'd love to have the components but the ugly (REALLY ugly) cabinet which weighed probably 500 lb had to go. I took the components and he pitched the cabinet in the dumpster. I'm sure someone would have had a use for the cabinet but I'd never have been able to move it if I'd taken it home.
 
My first tube find, got it today for 10 big ones.
Zenith Cobra Matic H664. circa 1951

very cool - alot of the 78 RPM record guys like those era Zeniths because the record speed is constantly variable - not as accurate as a Lenco TT, but very slick . . . and you get the cool 'cobra head' tone arm :thmbsp:
 
Yes, sometimes.

Heathkit W-5M Mono Amp
Heathkit WA-P2 Pre Amplifier (two)
Heathkit W-2M "Main Amplifier"
Heathkit WA-1 Power Supply for W-2M

All untested as of yet and all rather dusty and dirty.
 

Attachments

  • 119-1939_IMG (Medium).JPG
    119-1939_IMG (Medium).JPG
    54 KB · Views: 20
  • 119-1940_IMG (Medium).JPG
    119-1940_IMG (Medium).JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 119-1941_IMG (Medium).JPG
    119-1941_IMG (Medium).JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 119-1942_IMG (Medium).JPG
    119-1942_IMG (Medium).JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 119-1943_IMG (Medium).JPG
    119-1943_IMG (Medium).JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
In the last few years I've had a Scott LK-72B and a GE integrated stereo amp from garage sales for less than $10 each.
 
I was just reading this thread last night thinking the same thing - I've rarely found a tube anything, let alone tube audio gear at garage sales, but this morning as I was driving over to the supermarket I saw a bright day-glo orange yard sale sign beckoning me to follow it and lo and behold I actually found some old audio stuff - a pair of fisher XP-1A speakers for 10 bucks, 3 old RCA 6BQ5 consoles (not top end stuff but it should be fun to play with) - 2 bucks each, and half a dozen classical recordings on vinyl for a quarter apiece (said he also has an old tube reciever he'll get out for sale next week). 13 bucks total and I loaded it all in the back of my truck, so I guess you never know when or where.:thmbsp:
 
$5 for a Knight integrated tube amp and a Garrard Type A record changer was pretty nice. this was about six years ago though. Nothing ever since that I've seen has been tube, sadly.
 
hey-Hey!!!,
I have not found any tube gear at yard sales. I have found stuff and had it find me...:) but never a yard sale score. I've seen it happen to plenty of my mates though.
cheers,
Douglas
 
people are getting smarter about these vintage stuff, but i've seen some 80's fisher plastic componet stuff with price tag of $300.:screwy:
 
Back
Top Bottom