• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dolly amp, v2.0

First off, Nate that is freaking awesome. I had no idea that was going down over at your place. Obviously your wife is not finding you enough little jobs to keep you busy. </SteveEarle>

I like to put my small signal tubes as the last tubes in a chained heater.

OK, I just wired that up over the weekend on my Maggie 175 project. What are the chances I got that right. Not much, I think.

It kills me that I know what you are talking about, too.
 
First off, Nate that is freaking awesome. I had no idea that was going down over at your place. Obviously your wife is not finding you enough little jobs to keep you busy.
Hey now, don't be giving her any ideas! :nono:

Actually, I put a lot of work into this over the weekend. Everyone else at home was in bed sick, so all plans were abandoned and I got a lot more done than I would have otherwise.
 
Very nice work but the enclosure is actually a diecast, not an extrusion.

;)
No, it's extruded.


:D

Well, it's aluminum, anyway. If you say something with enough conviction, people will believe anything you say!

Thanks for pointing that out. It's nice stuff to work with, as I noted before.
 
I don't know...

What are the odds it will work first time around? :scratch2:



IMG_8544.jpg


IMG_8537.jpg

IMG_8545.jpg
 
Last edited:
I think you forgot to install the pull start. ;)


By the way, we should have AL.plate coming our way soon. :thmbsp:

RC
 
Smoke test

I juiced it up the other day, with trembling and trepidation...

It's alive! Singing sweetly.

IMG_8633.jpg

IMG_8557.jpg
 
Last edited:
how about sending it out for a nice powdercoating?
I don't think I want to take anything apart at this point. :no: I gave the idea of finishing the chassis some thought as I was building it, but ultimately decided that I rather like the industrial look, especially with the cool blue transformer setting it off the way it does.

Had some Dire Straits vinyl spinning during the test - I just fell into a stupor for a while! :music:

I'll try to take some better pictures of it soon. It's hard to get a sense of it here, but this thing is so tiny it's cute!
 
Yeah, the sound is pretty similar. It may have a little more background noise than the one cableguy has now, but I don't have the Forte's any more so I can't say.

I've been running the MC30s in the system lately, and when I dropped this amp in I was amazed at how little was lacking in comparison. Granted, it doesn't have the 30 watts of tight control over the bass end that those amps do and I won't be "rockin' the house" with this combo, but it does have that liquid midrange of a single-ended amp that I've come to love so much.

Maybe I ought to drop this thing off your way for a bit, give you something to listen to as we get the 300Bs built. I've got to put in a little more test time here first, to make sure it's up to snuff, but the lack of obvious problems is encouraging. :yes:
 
Back
Top Bottom