• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dual 1218/1219/1228/1229 Appreciation thread

If bill is doing the work it will be excellent. I see it's not on the list, but I really like my 1246.
 
A few months ago, I picked up a Dual 1229 with a Shure M91ED, from the original owner who bought it new in 1973. He treated it well, but
it hadn't been used for a while, and was non-functional when I got it.

It was clear right away that this was a real Rube Goldberg machine!

After going through all the excellent information here, and a
wonderful document written by Dave Krugler, I managed to do a
complete service, including opening and lubricating the motor, the speed
control, and all the various levers and shafts, replacing the
infamous steurpimpel, the rubber collar for the single/multi shaft,
and cleaning and replacing the tone arm damping oil.

It was a real bitch to set up the tonearm correctly, so it does not bind.
The strobe neon lamp was barely glowing, so I replaced it
with a DIY LED lamp, as per the schematic posted on dual-board.de

My phono pre is the VSPS, built on a piece of perf board.

It took me a few months of learning, but it's really satisfying
to get it all working and hear it play perfectly!

And it's thanks to people like Bill, NoTransistors and all the other
Dual gurus and enthusiasts.
Whoever came up with the idea of using coax cable insulation for
the guide is a real genius. Seth also posted a brilliant tip
about stethoscope tube for the rubber collar.

Duals are built like tanks, and this one will probably outlive me!
 
By the way, do you think the Dual 1219 would out-turntable the Pro-ject RM 1.3? Feel free to mention any other ones it would out-turntable.

Thanks,
MacKat
 
I bought a Dual 1228 new from University Sound (L.A.) in 1973. It was a faithful servant until I sold it in 2002. It was doing fine then but could have stood a tuneup.

I loved the way it played. My problem was that I have an extensive 78 collection and the headshell setup is less than ideal for frequent changes. Also, once they get a little age, the contacts for the headshell need attention. I wish I'd used De-Oxit.

I have some RTR tapes I made transcribing records played on the Dual. When I hear them, I'm reminded of how nice it sounded. I used a Shure V-15 III and a Grado with it.

Now I have a Technics SP-15 dedicated to transcribing 78's and LP's, a Technics SL-1500 MK II for listening and I just bought an arm for a Technics SP-25. I think the Dual gives them a run for their money.
 
The only turntables I have had personal experience with was 1) an old Garrard that was in my parents Fisher console unit in the early 60's 2) A Dual 1229 my Dad owned, 3) A Radio Shack portable, 4) a GE dropdown, 5) a Dual 1228, 6) a Dual 1219 (not yet operational) and a lower end 7) Kenwood. The Dual 1229 and 1219 are about the same with the only difference I seem to see is the strobe light. The 1228 has a 10 inch platter and is a two speed.

I want to take the motor off the 1219 and lubricate it. Is there any problem to look out for when doing this? Since I need to change out the brass spindle, it seems easier to do this off the table.
 
My problem was that I have an extensive 78 collection and the headshell setup is less than ideal for frequent changes.

I have a Dual 1219 which I play LP's only on it. I, too have a fairly large 78 collection. However my 78's are all acoustical and therefore would not sound good on a modern turntable. I transcribed them to open reel tape by playing the records on an original gramophone using a Shure SM58 mike buried inside the horn.
 
I want to take the motor off the 1219 and lubricate it. Is there any problem to look out for when doing this? Since I need to change out the brass spindle, it seems easier to do this off the table.

If it's like my 1216, the spindle is easily removable by removing the two screws under the motor. They hold on the lower bracket of the spindle. Easy to oil it and the upper bushing.
 
they sound great....

Got three. Two 1219s and a 1229. Have Shure M91ED,M55, and a M3D. All sound good but I like the M55 the best. All has JICO stylus' Picked up three LPs at Sal Army today. Sleeping Beauty by Tchaikosky on an old RCA 1956, The 1219 with the M3D sounded good. The Gean Pittney Greatest Hits from the mid 60s sounded better with the Dual 1229 and the Shure M55. Ran the 1219 with a copy of Handels Water Music on a Phillips LP with the M3D. Nice.
Have problems with the automatc on all three. Fall project. Will figure it out or send to Bohley or No Transistors.
 
Have 3 Duals in operation...and all three work. A 1209 just for 7 inch 45's, a 1229 and a 1241 for everything else. Of the three the 1229 is the most satisfying.....so solid and husky...a real brute. It will run forever......you will love yours
 
For the hum, have you tried different RCA cables? Other things to check are the connections at the headshell, the muting switch, and (of course) the ground wire.

The arm issues sound like steurpimpel problems.

I had a 1216 that hummed like mad. The connections at the headshell are a tiny pc board that can slide down in its groove. Shoving it back up fixed the hum.
 
By the way, do you think the Dual 1219 would out-turntable the Pro-ject RM 1.3? Feel free to mention any other ones it would out-turntable.

Thanks,
MacKat

I think you'll get a better response if you start a new thread with this question. As this thread praising Duals gets bigger, people won't necessarily read all the other posts and see your question. And people scanning topic titles won't know you asked a question in the middle of this thread.
 
I have a Dual 1219 which I play LP's only on it. I, too have a fairly large 78 collection. However my 78's are all acoustical and therefore would not sound good on a modern turntable. I transcribed them to open reel tape by playing the records on an original gramophone using a Shure SM58 mike buried inside the horn.
Gorgeous Gramaphone!
I have a LP of Edison Cylinders where the producer did just that. I have a Victrola, but I need to have the reproducer rebuilt.

I record my 78's, including the acoustics, with a flat pre-amp. Once I clean up the noise, I apply various filters and EQ to make them sound good. With proper EQ, you can remove the "honkiness" of some acoustics.

Just a few minutes ago, I transcribed Aida - Farewell, Oh Earth! sung by Johanna Gadski and Enrico Caruso. It was recorded November 6, 1909. The label's printed price is $4.00, which would be more than $100 in today's money. There were just a few clicks to contend with, the normal hiss, but no distortion that I find when the records were played with a bad needle.
 
Dual 1214...
1214w.jpg
 
dual1229q.jpg


Dual 1229Q

I initially purchased it from the Bay (from a Canadian audiophile). Was packed well and arrived good. All auto functions worked flawlessly despite having no steuerpimpel :yikes:

I also wondered myself, How in the world ...

But there was a multi mode issue:
When playing single play, everything worked fine and normal, but when the lever is switched from Single mode to Multi mode, the tonearm assembly would rise (as it would normally to compensate for VTA), but when you used the cue lever, it didn't even lift the tonearm up (even when it is just the first record being played from the stack). So at the end of play when the automatic cycle engages, it barely lifts it up - with the stylus almost touching the record as the arm swings back. In this case, any more than one record in the stack would be a catastrophe! I have already adjusted the cue control adjustment screw to its maximum at 8 mm (on Single mode).

In my DIY attempt to fix it (and attaching a "home remedy" steuerpimpel), I made matters worse. Upon putting it back together, I've noticed that something was impeding the arm. I noticed it especially when I observed the cantilever wiggled as if being dragged during play while the headshell remained stationary.

This is where Bill "Bohhey" Neumann came in. I sent it to him and he professionaly restored it to MINT condition. Bill said, the tonearm was binding because of the single/multi switch. The rubber collar was broken (typical) and the tonearm couldn't seat properly, so the plate underneath was binding on the height adjusting collar. Replaced with new collar, and all is well again. He also cleaned out the old grease off the mechanism, relubed it, installed a new steuerpimpel, and reversed the polarity of the strobe lamp to avoid flickering. He even fixed and tightened the wooden base where the dustcover hinges to stay up, and provided me with a new dustcover. Overall, an exemplary job from Bill that goes beyond the call of duty!

But it was my fault for not sending in the multiplay spindle with it for final testing, so some more refine adjustments were needed to be done because now, the records won't drop: 78s or LPs.

When I inserted the stacker spindle, I push it down through that notch then twist it clockwise to lock it down (Lock Down Mode). But at lock down mode, the upper part of the spindle (3 smaller prongs) doesn't retract all the way in, so that the stack won't go past through that. It should retract all the way in for it to come through, and rest on the lower part of the spindle which are the 3 larger prongs that support the stack.
It seems that there was a millimeter gap at lock down mode for the spindle to go down some more until it's at a dead stop. Because if I pressed it down to eliminate this gap, the upper part of the spindle (3 smaller prongs) retracts all the way in, and everything works normally.

This is where "NoTransistors" came in to help me resolve the problem (virtually) ...

chassis1219.jpg


"Not difficult.
Look at the end of the arrowed lever that is nearest the drop-spindle.
Believe it or not, the thing that looks like a bolt head is what you must rotate [a wee bit at a time] to adjust the amount of travel of the spindle prongs.
What? you may be thinking. On that rotatable nut, is a pin which is moulded in such a fashion, that by rotating the 'nut', you move the pin up or down. One full revolution of this 'nut' covers the entire range of the adjustment."


arrowheadbolt.jpg


One last refinement was done when I decided to replace the old idler wheel because I could hear a faint thud every now and then. I sent the old idler wheel to Terry and he replaced it with a brand new rubber.

http://www.terrysrubberrollers.com/

Result? It is now even more silent than it was (just like a 701 Direct Drive now). I am now a very happy and satisfied owner of this Dual 1229Q, and this is my story. :thmbsp:
BTW, she's sporting a Shure M91ED. Lovin' the sound of the 70's!
 
Roller

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the rubber roller? I might eventually get one of those.

Thanks a lot,

MacKat

P.S.

That was a REALLY good post!:tresbon::banana:
 
If you don't mind me asking, how much was the rubber roller? I might eventually get one of those.

Thanks a lot,

MacKat

P.S.

That was a REALLY good post!:tresbon::banana:

Thanks Mackat!
YES, get that rubber wheel, it will be worth it! :thmbsp:
It will cost you only $40.
 
I definitely will when I'm less broke ;-) :tresmauvais: :étant très éclaté est ennuyeux: :ce n'est Google translate parler: :-)
 
Back
Top Bottom