• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dual 1229 - cartridge

Register to hide this ad
Assuming it is a 1/2" mount cart and you have cartridge holder for the tonearm, there isn't any reason why it wouldn't "work" if there is nothing wrong with the turntable or the cartridge.

Is your question really whether or not it is satisfactorily or especially well-matched to working on a 1229?

In another thread, someone wrote that Shures and Duals tend to match up well, but someone familiar with that cartridge could tell you more than me, and whether that is a good buy for it. (Do you have any information regarding the condition of the stylus on it--that could make a difference)

Do you want suggestions for other cartridges, too, from people who think you can do better for around that price or not much more?
 
"Do you want suggestions for other cartridges, too, from people who think you can do better for around that price or not much more?[/QUOTE]"

The cartridge is new - and yes I would like some suggestions for other cartridges.

Thanks
 
Yes, it is a standard 1/2: mount cartridge - will be happy on your table. Follow the instructions that discussed tracking forces with/without the stylus brush. On your cartridge carrier, there are two mounting slots. Install the cart with the mounting bolts 3/4 of the way to the front. Dual made a protractor for exact cartridge placement, but this would be pretty darn close.
 
The shure is a nice cart-the ULM tonearm were optimized for Ortofon carts- but the shure should work nicely.
 
I use the same shure on my H/K T45-very nice, tracks well-I do use a Ortofon on my Dual(in storage for now). Use the maximum tracking force, and I would skip the brush.
Stay away from the Grado's-they hummed on my Dual, and are a bit overated IMHO.
To me a cartridge should play what was pressed in the grooves, and not add coloration to the sound, some may call it boring, but I don't want to listen to my cart-I want to listen to the record.
 
Back
Top Bottom