• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Early Fairchild 412 build, including new plinth (photo heavy)

Andy, that looks great! You sure don't waste any time when you get going on a project. So how many turntables do you have?
At the rate your churning them out, you need a warehouse.

BillWojo
 
Thanks Bill,

Too many turntables , violating my own principle, never have more than I can use of anything ;)

I’ve got to decide what to sale, there are 2 tables that are safe, the ROK TR12H and this recent Fairchild, and the Russco Studio Pro may be the 3rd but it’s too early to tell for sure, as of this moment the DP 75 is holding on:rflmao:

Feel bad that the others are out of rotation, just haven’t brought myself to sell any yet:bs:

Also need to slow down on projects for a while, I’m “paying the piper” over these last 3 projects, the 2 Russco plinths are almost ready for their new home:thumbsup: but the Fairchild my sit as it is for a long while, might get the belt cover done but the inner frame is still sitting in pieces in the shop
:eek2:
 
Running some tests on the Russco build with a test record, oscilloscope and and old tube based Wow&Flutter tester, so of course had to check the Fairchild:cool:

I’m not finished with the plinth but noticed a slight vibration, went looking in the AK archives and found that there was someone that talked about belt tension vibration, probably @bob smog or @Sam Cogley…anyway sure-nuf speed was near perfect, but as the belt was adjusted the vibration lessened and the speed remained spot on.

These are fantastic tables that don’t need or require a lot of work, they are certainly audiophile grade machines:trebon:
 
Trying different arm board material and design, mounted the ESL 1000 with a Shure MD3 professional on an arm board made of blood wood like the plinth sides.

Replaced the broken green plexiglass with red plexiglass, have a pilot light mounted under the plexiglass but didn’t get it hooked up.
4AA7211C-6AED-4E3D-A1EB-2C46764B2087.jpeg
 
I like the Blood wood for the arm boards , gives it a nice contrast !

Edit: Looks like a coffin to me, maybe call it the Munsters Fairchild TT . lol

Athanasios
 
I like the Blood wood for the arm boards , gives it a nice contrast !

Edit: Looks like a coffin to me, maybe call it the Munsters Fairchild TT . lol

Athanasios

Yeah like the contrasting arm board better also….and I told my wife it was a modified dog coffin :eek:
 
+3 for the blood wood armboard, nice contrast. Keeps looking better and better.

BillWojo

It’s also proud by about 3/16”, believe that’s also a contributing factor….

The top wood is very old Maple, probably milled over 100 years ago so it’s extremely hard to match, has an unusual color hue, so using something different for arm boards is a good move :naughty:

Here’s some after thoughts for those who are interested/care;)

I’m almost never satisfied with a project in the final stages, it’s usually based on “what I’d do differently” but really like the design of this one :blah:

I’m a fan of arm boards, even for tables with single arms, but they can be difficult to implement both structurally and visually. There’s an apparent flaw, to me, in my original top plate design, adding the arm boards would have been much simpler if it had a substrate underneath the Maple, 1/2” plywood would be sufficient.

My design intent was to make it as easy as possible to change out tonearms, without detracting from the overall appearance….

Another big hurdle for me on this build, is the on/off switch location; it still has the original Fairchild switch that’s never been messed with, but it’s a long toggle and I don’t like how it looks just stuck on the side.:confused: Right now it’s mounted to the metal frame under the belt cover so its not screwed down at the moment.

These tables were extremely well engineered, with special admiration for the “deep chassis” with the bottom plate. Even though it doesn’t need a heavy layered plinth, believe they do benefit from additional structure support, rather than just hanging in a box, (most plinths for 412s have them just hanging from the top).

VR
Andy
 
This is incredible! What are your thoughts on the Latvian EMT clone?

Much appreciated hyperbole ;)

Those EMT wood clones are a fantastic value, I’m building a Russco Studio Pro with 2 arms and one will probably be another EMT clone. The headshell is unique but simplistic, easy to make a wood replica….Not soure how much one would have to spend to better it, but it’ll probably be more than I would spend.

Thanks again,
Andy
 
That's absolutely beautiful. Sherman Fairchild and Raymond Lowey would certainly approve.

Really appreciate your comment Sam…

I’ve had this build concept rattling around in my head for a couple of years just waiting “the right 412” to implement it :cool:

As I’ve said before, this particular table was on my turntable bucket list of tables to own, and will still be capable of playing music 100 years from now, the Lord willing;)

Fairchild designed a table that’s the perfect expression of form and function, not the only one, but certainly a masterpiece
:trebon:


Best Regards,
Andy
 
Just a quick update that I wanted to share….Some of you are familiar with my Russco plinth build thread, in that I’m also updating my Studio Pro B

@BillWojo made a new platter set screw for the shaft well with a delrin pad that replaced the steel ball bearing, the results were nothing short of amazing. The thing was noticeably quieter immediately!

Based on that I’ve replaced the steel ball bearings in my ROKs and in my 412 with delrin “ball bearings”. They are available on Amazon. The results are impressive, not as dramatic on the Fairchild but still worthwhile.

Have no clue of the durability, so I bought several of each size, but based on a few weeks of using them, I don’t see any visible signs of wear…..also added an SME 3009 2 non improved to the Table…6F550774-019D-4474-94C0-F7C40F0AB218.jpeg
 
Back
Top Bottom