• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Estate sale: ID speakers?

Pull out the individual drivers and test them to see if they work. If so i would say its either loose wiring or caps. Use some howards restore a finish with some 0000 steel wool and they should clean up very well. There are a few vids on youtube on how to use the restore a finish if you haven't used any. I need ot get my klh 17's up and running one of these days. I am going to re wire mine also, replace the caps, redope the woofer surrounds and add some binding posts.
 
It's the light (I almost had a fit when I saw that photo at first, too!). One's got a little dimple in the center that I might not even bother trying to pull out.

The one has some goop kind of puddled around the bottom of the woofer. . . .glue? Dope? Can't tell if it affects the sound yet cuz that's the one with the RCA plug and I haven't gotten a wire for it yet.

[Edit] The one sounds pretty good though. Little boxy and both the high and low ends are more muddled than my Smaller Advents, but I'm pretty impressed with it. Not enough to keep for a long time, but I think I'll enjoy listening to them for a while before selling or donating to St. Vinnie's.
 
Last edited:
Nearly refinished. I used Howard's and some steel wool. I decided against sanding out all of the scratches. . . .none were very deep, and I thought they added some character to the finish. "We're old and used, but we still look (and sound) pretty darn good."

I liked it so much I even did my Genesis V6 and will do my big Genesis' later on. Lemon oil and they're done.
 

Attachments

  • KLH_05.jpg
    KLH_05.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 18
  • KLH_06.jpg
    KLH_06.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 17
  • KLH_07.jpg
    KLH_07.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 22
Blehh, I finally got an RCA wire to the one, but it does nothing. I opened it up and checked connections and all seem intact. I assume something in the Xover is bad? Will probably be back asking questions about how to replace various parts later, but the Interwebs is down where I am for the last two days.
 
Back
Top Bottom