• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fisher Investments - anyone use?

There’s no one size fits all

Depending on your portfolio value, I’d look for a for fee based CFA that works with a CPA. 99% of CFAs are going to give You the same basic financial advice with respect to portfolio construction and simulate returns. The difference is whose funds they reccomend. Not Ripping on them but if they had some unique insight they’d be running a private weath office

A good CPA IMO Is more important than a CFA. Planning and managing taxes is more important than deciding If a 50/40/10 or 40/40/20 portfolio of stocks/bonds/cash is optimal

ETA - The fee based on AUM never made sense to me. Is one going to get better advise if they have 1 million or 20 million?
 
Yeah, I go back & forth on that.
Pro - they must be doing something right, they're so big.
Con- WTF do they care, they're so big.



I know. We've always been told the best bet is focus around the S&P 500, set it and forget about it. Don't even look at it.

That's all well and good for long term growth. Problem is (like any other investment), the day before you want to convert any to some cash, it could drop in half. I'm 67 now. I want to be taking out returns from here forward.
 
I have ZERO Dollars with any "Financial Planners". Anyone on here that is able to read can do a little bit of research/learning to be able to manage their own money. It ain't rocket science. No one will be more attentive to your investments than YOU. When I spoke to a FP about managing my money, he told me that he charged the "standard" 1% fee. This applies whether they make you money or lose you money. So, I decided I could do anything they can do. Investing in the S&P 500 is about as good as you can get. You cannot "Beat the Market" by investing in individual stocks. I keep 5 different ETF's. I do hold one individual "Blue Chip" stock that pays a great dividend. But I keep the majority in the S&P. My portfolio performance last year was 23.2%. The last 5 year average is 9.3%. I am 100% in Equities and stay clear of the Bond markets. I chose Vanguard because of their results, their size, their great customer service, and their low fees. I retired in 2020 and there is more money now than when I retired (and I am not drawing Social Security until I turn 70).
wise
 
There’s no one size fits all

Depending on your portfolio value, I’d look for a for fee based CFA that works with a CPA. 99% of CFAs are going to give You the same basic financial advice with respect to portfolio construction and simulate returns. The difference is whose funds they reccomend. Not Ripping on them but if they had some unique insight they’d be running a private weath office

A good CPA IMO Is more important than a CFA. Planning and managing taxes is more important than deciding If a 50/40/10 or 40/40/20 portfolio of stocks/bonds/cash is optimal

ETA - The fee based on AUM never made sense to me. Is one going to get better advise if they have 1 million or 20 million?
one should never hold mutual funds
 
A proper financial management type person (hi!) will take all things into consideration. Tax minimisation is a part, but only a part of managing a portfolio. Wealth maximisation according to risk profile should be #1 consideration.

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery. - Dickens
 
I have been with T Rowe Price since the 80's. About 30 years ago, I analyzed all of their mutual funds to determine which would give me the best long term returns, put our money in them and left it alone. My wife and I were able to retire at 59 and 61 without a pension.
 
One bit of advice. Stay away from Annuities. The insurance company is the only one making money with an annuity. Not you.
 
I'm a retiree of the University of California (UC) and Fidelity manages our individual investment accounts. We have a wide range of investment options (many are descended from older UC funds) and the results have been stellar, as had been the service. UC retirees are a select group, but I would trust Fidelity with my personal accounts based on my experience. Best of luck to you -- we live in very uncertain times.
 
one should never hold mutual funds
I don’t think I advocated mutual funds and as I said theres no absolutes and no one size fits all. For basic investing it’s difficult to beat a SPY or QQQ etf, however IMO there are cases that some mutual funds make sense. I think for some investors, AQR makes Sense
 
Back
Top Bottom