• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Franken VAL's

That is exactly what I need to do to my Barzilay cabinets. They're pretty good now, but could be a lot better, in terms of cabinet sturdiness.
 
That's the next step

Do you intend to use any shelf bracing? I built the walls of my Barzi's up with birch ply and MDF so all the walls are at least 1 inch.

Shelf brace plus a top to bottom (or more likely 2) and side to side brace. Also considering a woofer to rear panel brace - a little harder with a vented woofer but that should help out a bit. I am going for as much of 'brick sh*#house' as practical. Just the additional plywood has made a huge difference. Since I am loosing the fancy inset baffle I will not be loosing any volume (still right at 5 cubic feet.)
I forgot to add this is not precision work and was all done with a Skil-saw, a strip of plywood for a guide and a tape measure. It will be all sealed up with the glue and caulking. The shelf brace will require a little more care but is still a hand tool job.
Steve
 
Last edited:
I forgot to add this little gem of information. Do not attempt to tap an oh so slightly too long panel (like 1 or 2 thousandths long) into place. The cabinet will pop apart and then you need to run to the hardware store in the rain and buy some really long clamps to hold the cabinet together while the glue dries.
 
Probably better it popped apart then, than after you finished putting everything together! That would have been MY luck. I'm sure of it.

:D

Regards,
Gordon.
 
If I was not stressing it the cabinet would not have broke. Seeing just how 'dainty' these things are I am kind of surprised that I haven't blown apart the one I have 'finished'. With the extra beef I have installed they are NEVER coming apart without completely destroying them.
 
You must have the same luck that I have - Crappy!!

I don't know why but my luck is only the bad kind. When I was doing open track 'racing' I built a bullet proof engine and brake system on my low buck VW GTI racer and the clutch blew up and ended my weekend instead. Oh well at least I have a great wife and son - can't really get any better than that. Good speakers a nice plus!!!!!!!!!!!

Probably better it popped apart then, than after you finished putting everything together! That would have been MY luck. I'm sure of it.

:D

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Getting a new toy in the morning

I hope. The wonderful wife could still derail this deal but I hope not. This also comes with spare parts that I can fix my other saw so I can sell it and break even (cracked casting that I can't sell and still sleep at night.) Best thing is I can start cutting wood as soon as I get back from our winter vacation and start making speakers!!!! Real E-waves coming soon. Got to have good tunes in the garage.
Steve
 

Attachments

  • saw.jpg
    saw.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 37
I don't know why but my luck is only the bad kind. When I was doing open track 'racing' I built a bullet proof engine and brake system on my low buck VW GTI racer and the clutch blew up and ended my weekend instead. Oh well at least I have a great wife and son - can't really get any better than that. Good speakers a nice plus!!!!!!!!!!!

OT. Which GTI? That's all I've driven for the past 15 years... Great cars bud.
 
83 gti

OT. Which GTI? That's all I've driven for the past 15 years... Great cars bud.

With a 2.0 16V hod rod. Ported head, big cams, 11:1 comp ... I still have the engine. I gave the body to a racer. The engine was going to go into a 75' Scirocco that I had. When I found out there are no body parts (like windshields or rubber gaskets) available for these cars to it went to the scrap heap. That's when I bought the 914.
 
Got it!!

I picked up the saw yesterday (and the bonus spare parts that will repair my other table saw.) The saw is an old (70's) Rockwell 10" Tilting Arbor Saw. This is the same as the dirt common 10"contractors saw but with cast iron extensions vs. stamped sheet metal on the on contractors saw. My broken saw is the contractors saw.

Steve
I hope. The wonderful wife could still derail this deal but I hope not. This also comes with spare parts that I can fix my other saw so I can sell it and break even (cracked casting that I can't sell and still sleep at night.) Best thing is I can start cutting wood as soon as I get back from our winter vacation and start making speakers!!!! Real E-waves coming soon. Got to have good tunes in the garage.
Steve
 
Steve,

Any updates on this project? I have located a pair of 2452H-SL drivers. Are you going with the Z19 crossover?
 
I picked up the saw yesterday (and the bonus spare parts that will repair my other table saw.) The saw is an old (70's) Rockwell 10" Tilting Arbor Saw. This is the same as the dirt common 10"contractors saw but with cast iron extensions vs. stamped sheet metal on the on contractors saw. My broken saw is the contractors saw.

Steve
Does that saw have a front plate marked " Contractors Special, Rockwell/Delta"? If so, you've found a gem. I have and use one, almost daily. They are a very well constructed saw, the arbor and mechanisms are almost as good as the Unisaw. I have a 1 1/2 HP motor on mine with dual pulleys (the previous owner must have had some issues and upgraded it). With a new Accusquare fence and some alignment of the table, it cuts as good as anything out there.

IMG_0005_2.jpg
 
Z-19

Steve,

Any updates on this project? I have located a pair of 2452H-SL drivers. Are you going with the Z19 crossover?

We will see. I will try out the Z-19 compared to what I have now (N3134) and see what is better sounding in my room.
Steve
 
That's what I have

Mine is a Rockwell branded saw but it is the same saw as your picture (contractors saw with the cast iron ends from a Unisaw.) My plan right now is to bolt both of my saws together (using a 10" cast iron extension in the middle) and use one for cutting and one for dado's while sharing a common fence. I have recycled a very nice 80/20 extrusion frame to use as a mobile base.
Steve
Does that saw have a front plate marked " Contractors Special, Rockwell/Delta"? If so, you've found a gem. I have and use one, almost daily. They are a very well constructed saw, the arbor and mechanisms are almost as good as the Unisaw. I have a 1 1/2 HP motor on mine with dual pulleys (the previous owner must have had some issues and upgraded it). With a new Accusquare fence and some alignment of the table, it cuts as good as anything out there.

IMG_0005_2.jpg
 
Last edited:
You are going to love those things

It took me a few years but I finally realized those drivers sound a lot like my HD600's but the bass is actually better and hits harder. So far I still can't hear any problems with the crossover I have but I can SEE it at ZilchLabs - the Z19 is almost perfect up top but can the 2235 run to 1.2K nice and clean? My crossovers are at 1K.
As is they sound very, very good and the crossover tweaking would be just that - tweaking.
Every time I turn the tunes on I enjoy:music: I'm not sure what I like better the sparkling low distortion highs or the hammering low distortion bass :D:D
Steve
Steve,

Any updates on this project? I have located a pair of 2452H-SL drivers. Are you going with the Z19 crossover?
 
Not a contractors saw after all!

After getting my old beat up contractors saw back home I realize that my 'new' saw is completely different (in a very good way!) The only thing common between the two is the arbor casting - everything else is different and all cast iron (one cast piece replaces 4 bolted together parts on the contractors saw.) This should be a much better saw as suggested by westend.


Does that saw have a front plate marked " Contractors Special, Rockwell/Delta"? If so, you've found a gem. I have and use one, almost daily. They are a very well constructed saw, the arbor and mechanisms are almost as good as the Unisaw. I have a 1 1/2 HP motor on mine with dual pulleys (the previous owner must have had some issues and upgraded it). With a new Accusquare fence and some alignment of the table, it cuts as good as anything out there.

IMG_0005_2.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom