• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Franken VAL's

Thank you for finding that. It was an active topology that could have translated to a nice highpass, yes. Using those ideas, I got it to happen "the hard way" at post #43.

Look at the date, though, in the context of this:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=150939

2452H-SL became "back burner" when EconoWave went mainstream here, and I have merely dabbled in doing my own stuff since. The preferred driver at LHF was 2435HPL because JBL was using it in their TOTL consumer products and they were more readily available, and I did participate in working with those over there, as well. Giskard ultimately conceded that 2452H-SL was the better driver, but not even he ever ran with it. I offered to send him a pair to work with, but he declined, largely, I suspect, because the primary source for those drivers for DIY was (and still is) indeterminant back-door grey-market sales.

Same's true of 2435HPL, of course, but they did not suffer from Zilch being their primary proponent. You can see some of that going on in that thread. My work over there generated major upheaval on the site, ultimately leading to the addition of a DIY forum, which I believe worked to the advantage of everyone. That bias has somewhat tempered over the intervening years, but the mere mention of my subsequent work still raises hackles among the diehard purists.

[Byword: tread lightly.... :tongue: ]

I'll avoid the politics of that web site. Your measurement on post #64 of that thread sure looks better developed than what you posted on #12, which I believe is what srbliss is using on his Franken Vals.

Or should I just drop this?
 

Attachments

  • Version 2 minus 20k notch.jpg
    Version 2 minus 20k notch.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 2452h sl.jpg
    2452h sl.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 24
There are a bunch of options; we'll likely try running it on Z19 today and see how that works.

Ultimately, of course, I'll work something up for myself, but Mini E-Wave projects are stacked pretty deep here right now....
 
Last edited:
Steve's Franken-Vals measure essentially the same as Duff's did years ago. They sounded quite good.

The installed 2452H-SL had a connection problem on one of the terminals. We investigated that, and it appears to be repairable. The diaphragm itself measures correctly.

Running them on Z19, we easily achieved flatter response. The compromise is that Z19 crosses 200 Hz higher, and stretches the 2235H woofer's capabilities a bit.

In any case, with further cabinet treatments to quell the rattles, this first one is now good to go for listening comparisons, and I expect there'll be plenty of that yet to come at Bliss House. :)

Note that the stock Val grill was in place for these measurements.

attachment.php


Special thanks to AK's Wiredbecker for assisting in today's session, and sussing out the connector failure, particularly.... :thmbsp:
 

Attachments

  • Franken-Val.jpg
    Franken-Val.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
Don't drop it

I want to pursue it myself. I didn't really get to hear the z-19 at ZilchLabs today in my speakers. The plot certainly looks better, but does it really sound any better?

I'll avoid the politics of that web site. Your measurement on post #64 of that thread sure looks better developed than what you posted on #12, which I believe is what srbliss is using on his Franken Vals.

Or should I just drop this?
 
I want to pursue it myself. I didn't really get to hear the z-19 at ZilchLabs today in my speakers. The plot certainly looks better, but does it really sound any better?
We heard music on it briefly, in passing, with LE14A woofer. Only you can make that determination via A/B comparison in quality listening. You're ~$80 away from the answer, now that we know you are supremely competent at crossover-building.... :)

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=328530
 
Last edited:
Z-19

Is this the correct 'shopping' list? Do I want 6.2 or 6.0 uF?
 

Attachments

  • N-19Z Parts List.JPG
    N-19Z Parts List.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 33
Picture of the final working crossover

Here is the new build installed on the rear panel. Sounds pretty good quietly listening while my 4 year old is sleeping. After I drop him off at school in the morning I will give a real listen before I go to work. The Val grill really kills the off axis response. I really doubt it will survive the week - I know from experience that it will fall into a 100 parts when removed (it already has the tell-tale hairline cracks.) The whole thing needs to be raised about a foot (the grill is not helping with this problem) it sounds MUCH better if I sit on the floor directly in front. Surprisingly this gentle giant is extremely easy to drive, my little 30 or 40 watt integrated amp is just idling away.
Steve
 

Attachments

  • new-crossover-done.jpg
    new-crossover-done.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Either is fine; the one you heard today has 6.2, and it worked with both LE14A and 2235H. That cap merely establishes the overall attenuation, the mid balance. With low-efficiency woofers, that could drop as low as 4 uF.

What's available in Solen vs. Dayton varies enough that different combos of caps are required to get the design values. My Z19 thread shows the Solen build we used, and what choices got it there. My original goal was to build it on a 6" square board, and as you see in the pic, there's extra room, if required. 20 Ga is probably fine for the 0.8 mH inductor for even more room, as well, but I haven't tried that.


Surprisingly this gentle giant is extremely easy to drive, my little 30 or 40 watt integrated amp is just idling away.
Despite its extended bass performance in suitable alignments, 2235H is NOT a low-efficiency woofer. Others have found the same with 4430s -- it doesn't require gobs of power to drive them.

[They WILL crank and rock out, however.... ;) ]
 
Last edited:
Z19's highpass would have to be shifted down to 1 kHz in a manner that blended with the 4430 lowpass. Both use very nearly the same core inductor in the lowpass, and Z19 could be easily converted for that part. Not terribly difficult, but the combo would have to be verifed via measurements; I don't believe we have any data on 2452H-SL/PT-F95HF directivity down in that region. It'll PLAY down there, sure, but the rest of it, well, "indeterminate...." :dunno:

This is something that could be very useful, if it worked. It would open up a number of other woofers to use in "Econowave-like" endeavors. Especially with the larger waveguides (QSC, 1.5" PT, etc). Having to only play to 1KHz makes it easier on a number of woofers...

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Looking back at the chronology, I find I designed Z19 in 1/2008 for Skywave's Altec 9844-8B project on LHF, and it was a month later (2/18/08) before he had built the first one ever for testing:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulle...-Altec-9844-8B&p=201193&viewfull=1#post201193

By then, EconoWave was happening here on AK, Duff's JBL project was underway, and we already had a workable crossover solution in my simplified design of 4430's N3134, which both Duff and Steve heard.

With the virtually universal acclaim for Duff's achieved result in listening sessions by others, and his own satisfaction with the performance, we decided not to pursue alternatives. By one view, the measurements evidence a couple dB of built-in "smiley-face" EQ in the range of the well-known "BBC dip," both viable and well-regarding loudspeaker voicing options.

Yes, we can likely get them Studio Monitor flat using Z19, or a variant of it, but in my view, that's a "listener's choice" option, best evaluated with controlled A/B testing, and Steve now intends to pursue this alternative toward a definitive determination of his own personal preference.... :thmbsp:
 
Last edited:
The speaker sounded excellent with both crossover variants and I would be happy to have it in my home. Not to mention, Steve's crossover construction was top notch--better than anything I've ever cobbled together on my own. Well done bud!
 
Thanks

The speaker sounded excellent with both crossover variants and I would be happy to have it in my home. Not to mention, Steve's crossover construction was top notch--better than anything I've ever cobbled together on my own. Well done bud!

The crossover came out pretty good considering it's the second one I have ever made. Before I came into work I got to play some tunes (Radio K.A.O.S.) at a more respectable level while doing some work on my laptop. I kept looking up after hearing stuff I never noticed before. Just before I left I played the mandatory stupid speaker test - 1812 overture. Kettle drums were in my office! Now I need to find CDs with some significant bass content to try out. I have LP's that rock with bass but my cheap turntable does not seem like those 2235's and goes nuts with feedback if I turn it up at all.
I will have the wood I need after this weekend and work will start on beefing up the second cabinet, and the bases.
 
2452H-SL guts

Thought I would share what these look like on the inside. As stated above one of the terminals was partially stripped out (I think it was dropped on the bad terminal) and needed some TLC to get it working again. I shortened the rubber gasket/spacer and the brass insert about an 1/8" and now it seems OK - not great but all it needs to do is hold a wire and transfer some juice. Working on these $$$things is a bit nervewracking - Zilch just does it, I took it very slow and easy. The screws are all stainless and it would be nice to have a non-magnetic screwdriver to do this type of work. Enjoy the pics. :thmbsp:
Steve
I did the work on my other Val cabinet because my workbenches are all steel (for welding) I might have trouble getting one of these drivers pried free from a 1/4" thick steel plate.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_6660.jpg
    DSC_6660.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC_6661.jpg
    DSC_6661.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC_6662.jpg
    DSC_6662.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Steve's Franken-Vals measure essentially the same as Duff's did years ago. They sounded quite good.

The installed 2452H-SL had a connection problem on one of the terminals. We investigated that, and it appears to be repairable. The diaphragm itself measures correctly.

Running them on Z19, we easily achieved flatter response. The compromise is that Z19 crosses 200 Hz higher, and stretches the 2235H woofer's capabilities a bit.

In any case, with further cabinet treatments to quell the rattles, this first one is now good to go for listening comparisons, and I expect there'll be plenty of that yet to come at Bliss House. :)

Note that the stock Val grill was in place for these measurements.

attachment.php


Special thanks to AK's Wiredbecker for assisting in today's session, and sussing out the connector failure, particularly.... :thmbsp:

Looks like the JBL LE14H-3 may be a better candidate than the 2235H with Z19 crossover?
 
Either is fine; the one you heard today has 6.2, and it worked with both LE14A and 2235H. That cap merely establishes the overall attenuation, the mid balance. With low-efficiency woofers, that could drop as low as 4 uF.

What's available in Solen vs. Dayton varies enough that different combos of caps are required to get the design values. My Z19 thread shows the Solen build we used, and what choices got it there. My original goal was to build it on a 6" square board, and as you see in the pic, there's extra room, if required. 20 Ga is probably fine for the 0.8 mH inductor for even more room, as well, but I haven't tried that.


When I mocked up my speaker using LE14H-3 and Z19, I had best balance with both L-pads barely cracked open. What would give me a bit more range/adjustability with the L-pad adjustment?
 
Thought I would share what these look like on the inside. As stated above one of the terminals was partially stripped out (I think it was dropped on the bad terminal) and needed some TLC to get it working again. I shortened the rubber gasket/spacer and the brass insert about an 1/8" and now it seems OK - not great but all it needs to do is hold a wire and transfer some juice. Working on these $$$things is a bit nervewracking - Zilch just does it, I took it very slow and easy. The screws are all stainless and it would be nice to have a non-magnetic screwdriver to do this type of work. Enjoy the pics. :thmbsp:
Steve
I did the work on my other Val cabinet because my workbenches are all steel (for welding) I might have trouble getting one of these drivers pried free from a 1/4" thick steel plate.

That's great dude! Glad you were able to shorten that enough to get that compression driver up and running again. Are you listening in stereo yet?
 
Not even close to stereo

That's great dude! Glad you were able to shorten that enough to get that compression driver up and running again. Are you listening in stereo yet?

I hope I really did fix it - it is still just starting to strip out the remaining threads. I will be installing some brass thread inserts to actually fix it. I need to rebuild the other cabinet. It is currently a four sided box sitting out in the garage.
 

Attachments

  • 99362a700_detail.gif
    99362a700_detail.gif
    7.1 KB · Views: 7
Anyone know a good site to sell of my old mint condition Altec woofers CD's and horns - don't really have much use for them anymore.:D
 
New demo song found

While checking work email before I head into work I plopped Collective Soul hit play and while I was in the kitchen 'Simple' was starting (the real quiet part just voice and maybe brushes on a cymbal) when the kick drums and bass came in the hair on the back of my neck stood up:D. I finally found the real bass I was looking for. This is with ONE speaker in mono btw.
 
Back
Top Bottom