• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Getting older - Did your music taste change? I think mine is starting to. why?

Hi All,

Maybe an odd question but it’s just something that i have been experiencing lately. Not sure if it's stress or if I've just played through my music that its not enjoyable. New music has interested me less lately, the music i use to love has slowly started to be overwhelming to me.

Big fan of 90's rock and alternative, classic rock, jazz, soft rock, classic rock, some 90's hip hop.

I had Good Charlotte spinning yesterday and it just felt like to much was going on, I switched it up to Matchbox 20 and liked it more, but i've noticed lately its hard for me to sit through an entire album. I paly spotify all day and its just been blah. Feels like i lost my music loving mojo....

IKD maybe im just overthinking it but some music lately has just not hit the spot. Its like i want to spin a good album, I dig and dig and cant find anything i want to listen to, switch to CD and its the same, same with cassette, the format or genera dose not seem to matter, I just feel fatigued, and not sure what it is. Either way, any of you ever experience this?
I've found a number of musical acts that are now regulars in my rotation using Pandora. I find that Pandora does a much better job of finding new music based on my likes and dislikes.

It's brought me some great artists like:

- Gramatik
- Chris Joss
- Sue Foley
- Eilen Jewell
- Toni Price

Or here's another fun source of new music: Detroit's NPR station WDET (101.9 on your FM dial).

Yeah, I know FM only goes so far, but here are a few of their sub-pages:

The Listen Live link if you just want to jump in: Listen Live - WDET 101.9 FM

Play lists from recent shows (check out the play lists to see if our musical tastes align): Playlists - WDET 101.9 FM

I suspect I haven't found myself in a musical bummer because I'm always listening to new stuff.

A lot doesn't stick, but the more of the river bed you can check in your pan, the greater the odds are of finding gold.

Best of luck!!
 
I mostly still like the same music that I did as a kid, with a few exceptions, but I've really expanded my musical tastes so that I'm into far more different kinds of music and my ears are more open to more stuff that I haven't yet heard. When I was growing up I only listened to what would be generally considered rock music and had no interest in other kinds of popular music, like soul, funk and the like. Nowadays I dig that music and for many years have been into jazz stuff as well, starting with fusion (which was closer to the rock music I came up on) then more acoustic kinds of stuff, from bebop, to post bop, avant guard and even some swing era stuff. I've been moving onto music from around the world, from Jamaican reggae to African, Brazilian. Latin, and even into more esoteric, more exotic kinds of stuff like Indonesian Gamelon. I've even gotten into older country and bluegrass type music, which I never would have thought that I'd ever have much interest in when I was younger. Much more recently, I've dipped my toes into classical music as well, though I'm slower to develop a taste for that than with other stuff that's more rhythmic based. For that I tend to gravitate to more of the baroque and early music stuff as well as the more modern avant guard stuff (starting from what I would say is the late 1800s). The classical and romantic period stuff in that middle time frame has somehow been less compelling for me.

I think that, at least for me, a big part of the expansion of musical taste simply has to do with the fact that having heard so much music over the years, there's a hunger to hear less familiar stuff and if you're a physical collector, it's fun to broaden one's horizons to seek out more different kinds of records to buy. Otherwise, you may just end up seeking out more and more rare records by familiar artists, which more often than not isn't their best work and don't end up being favorites, or even getting very much play time at all.

Some music that I used to love I've become uninterested in, like some really glossy area rock stuff that I grew up with, like Boston and Foreigner, which really started to sound too "corporate" (for lack of a better word) when I started listening to new wave, punk and other less commercial stuff. For decades I've kind of followed the changing culture of music so that about as soon as I was getting into classic rock, I was learning about punk/new wave and then all kinds of alliterative underground rock, rap, some electronic music, etc. It was always a treat to discover something genuinely new. I have to admit though that since the new millennium, I've been far less interested in what's new. So much of the popular music that I hear either has this kind of generic production style and a very "emo" heart-on-sleeve mood to it that I don't relate to, or it sounds too much like a pastiche of older styles that I like, but are done less memorably. This is not to say that there hasn't been anything new in the past 20 years that I've liked, but there just seems to be less coming out that I'm interested than at any time in the past...
 
Last edited:
As the 90's came on, I mostly skipped grunge, but got into the indie rock of Yo La Tengo, Pavement, Polvo, Archers of Loaf an post rock of Tortoise, The Sea and Cake, Jeff Buckley Talk Talk, Trans Am, Him (not the got h band), Brokeback & Red Snapper. The latter led me to the instrumental hip hop in the mid 90's of DJ Shadow, DJ Krush & drum & bass of Wagon Christ, Amon Tobin, Funki Porcini & Cold Cut. By the late 90's, I was listening to Thievery Corporation, The Roots, Cat Power, Pharcyde, A Tribe Called Quest & other underground hiphop acts. As the new millennium came on, I got into folk and Americana like Iron & Wine, M. Ward. Granddaddy, Giant Sand & Calexico, while also listening to MF DOOM, Aesop Rock, Roots Manuva & The Herbaliser, as well as acts like Mouse on Mars, To Rococo Rot, Ratatat, Queens of the Stone Age, Add X to N, Pole & Jan Jelinek.
The trajectory of my taste in the 90s is much like yours. I wasn't so into grunge or other "alt rock" kinds off stuff, but there were a lot of artists outside of all of that who were making music that I really dug.... and still do. Funny how it seems that so many folks think mostly of just one kind of music from that particular decade, but there were actually a lot of really original artists making great work who didn't fit into the stereotypical 90s sound. Not that there isn't any contemporary music I can get into, but for me, the 90s was really the last decade when there was lots of new stuff coming out that I was really excited about.

I wonder if you've seen this new film about Pavement? It's called "Pavements" and is really odd. I wouldn't give it my highest rating and I did feel that it went on for way too long (they could have cut at least 20 minutes from it without hurting it, I think), but it was kind of interesting and the whole idea of it was truly original and kind of brilliant.
 
The 90s. I remember Morcheeba. Sneaker Pimps. Derek Trucks was just a lad when I saw him live.

I also remember getting tickets for a Gil Scot-Heron show but he was a no show. Crack is whack.
 
The trajectory of my taste in the 90s is much like yours. I wasn't so into grunge or other "alt rock" kinds off stuff, but there were a lot of artists outside of all of that who were making music that I really dug.... and still do. Funny how it seems that so many folks think mostly of just one kind of music from that particular decade, but there were actually a lot of really original artists making great work who didn't fit into the stereotypical 90s sound. Not that there isn't any contemporary music I can get into, but for me, the 90s was really the last decade when there was lots of new stuff coming out that I was really excited about.

I wonder if you've seen this new film about Pavement? It's called "Pavements" and is really odd. I wouldn't give it my highest rating and I did feel that it went on for way too long (they could have cut at least 20 minutes from it without hurting it, I think), but it was kind of interesting and the whole idea of it was truly original and kind of brilliant.
I'm really excited about a lot of music coming out right now. I'm not a metal guy, but there's a ton of great stoner, psych, doom & prog metal out here right now, as well as a lot of great psych pop & dream pop. I've bought more new music in the past three years than in the 17 years that preceded. While I get tired of genres that I once loved, I don't think I've ever said "there's no good music," it's there, if you know where to look.
 
The 90s. I remember Morcheeba. Sneaker Pimps. Derek Trucks was just a lad when I saw him live.

I also remember getting tickets for a Gil Scot-Heron show but he was a no show. Crack is whack.
i thought Gil 's problem was heroin. he'd been a lifetime addict. i could be wrong.
his last album was... interesting. haunting in some ways. me n the devil was sad.
 
It takes all kinds and there's no need for any guilt over taking a break or moving on permanently from the no longer interesting.

For me there is always something new happening that's worth a try. For example, new(er) music that I love includes a lot of Dua Lipa, Lana Del Rey, Father John Misty, Santigold, and occasional random artists Spotify drops into my feed. And once in a while a track comes along where the first hearing makes me a fan for life, sometime on FM while traveling, or a new TV show or movie. I remember key examples I instantly loved for the feeling they produced: The DNCE/Joe Jonas hit "Cake By The Ocean", Carseat Headrest's "Drunk Drivers/Killer Whales", both heard on business trips to the west coast, and "Dance With Me" by The Old 97s from "FUBAR" on Netflix.

If there's a momentary lull in global creativity, there is a multiple-lifetimes supply of existing music and even whole genres that I haven't heard. If I get tired of rock and near-rock for a while I'll try a new genre like EDM or (lately) Latin. And sometimes I don't listen much for a while but eventually have to do it again, like a dieter with pizza.
 
I'm really excited about a lot of music coming out right now. I'm not a metal guy, but there's a ton of great stoner, psych, doom & prog metal out here right now, as well as a lot of great psych pop & dream pop. I've bought more new music in the past three years than in the 17 years that preceded. While I get tired of genres that I once loved, I don't think I've ever said "there's no good music," it's there, if you know where to look.
I'm with you.... though I listen to all kinds of music, the whole metal thing hasn't really grabbed me and the stuff that does is more on the stoner/doom end of it, where it tends to be slower and more about sustaining some kind of mood, rather than being hyper agressive and with over the top instrumental shredding. I liked more metal stuff back when it was called "heavy metal" and bands like Black Sabbath and BOC wrote songs that had more dynamics, with quiet parts along with all of the loud ones and didn't have the kind of compressed din sound that so much of the modern metal stuff has to my ears.
 
KD maybe im just overthinking it but some music lately has just not hit the spot. Its like i want to spin a good album, I dig and dig and cant find anything i want to listen to, switch to CD and its the same, same with cassette, the format or genera dose not seem to matter, I just feel fatigued, and not sure what it is. Either way, any of you ever experience this?
That's interesting, it has been like that from 3-4 years for me, easily a year since the last time I did sit and listen music. (I find background music distracting) and my little free time I like to train with my dogs. I have no clue why.
 
I'm with you.... though I listen to all kinds of music, the whole metal thing hasn't really grabbed me and the stuff that does is more on the stoner/doom end of it, where it tends to be slower and more about sustaining some kind of mood, rather than being hyper agressive and with over the top instrumental shredding. I liked more metal stuff back when it was called "heavy metal" and bands like Black Sabbath and BOC wrote songs that had more dynamics, with quiet parts along with all of the loud ones and didn't have the kind of compressed din sound that so much of the modern metal stuff has to my ears.
yeah, I haven't been a metalhead since I was 14, but I still indulge every once in a while, either when I'm alone in my car, which is rare these days, or when my GF is out of the house. mainly, I listen to instrumental post-rock these days, or stuff that falls somewhere along the psychedelia spectrum.
 
That's interesting, it has been like that from 3-4 years for me, easily a year since the last time I did sit and listen music. (I find background music distracting) and my little free time I like to train with my dogs. I have no clue why.

Yea it’s odd, its like a switch went off in me, going to take more breaks away from it and do other things.
 
That's interesting, it has been like that from 3-4 years for me, easily a year since the last time I did sit and listen music. (I find background music distracting) and my little free time I like to train with my dogs. I have no clue why.
Do your dogs feel like they are making progress training you? :)
 
Back
Top Bottom