• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Getting older - Did your music taste change? I think mine is starting to. why?

You really need to get out of your bubble more if that is what you think hip hop and rap is about. Perhaps not current, but Wu-Tang rap about science fiction, kaiju & monster movies and classic kung fu films & Wu Tang's GZA flow about science and astrophysics and lectures at MIT. Tupac rapped about the struggles faced by young black men caught in cycles of violence and poverty, with a fierce critique of the system that perpetuates it. MF DOOM rapped about food & De La Soul raps a lot about growing up in suburban Long Island. A Tribe Called Quest rapped about current topics like date rape & consumerism and concurrent with MadLib, introduced jazz into their music. The Pharcyde famously didn't swear in their flows and rapped about the absurdity and humor in every day events. NY underground rapper Aesop Rock drops rhymes about labor struggles & wage slavery, as well as tracks about the mundane aspects of every day life. The Roots, now perhaps more known for being Jimmy Kimmel's backing band, are, along with the UK's the Herbaliser, an actual, legit band with serious chops and more currently, A Tribe Called Quest's Ali Shaheed Mohamed collaborated with Adrian Younge for the Midnight Hour, an instrumental combo largely influenced by the Jazz explorations of Marvin Gaye, as well as late 60's and 70's jazz & RnB. Del the Funky Homosapien, an Oakland based artist who's been active since the 90's isn’t about gangsta bravado or harsh realities but about humor, everyday observations, and a laid-back vibe. His collaboration with Bay Area producer Dan the Automator & DJ Kid Koala, Deltron 3030, is an absurdly enjoyable sci-fi romp, based in the year 3030. Dan Nakamura, aka Dan The Automator, aka Nathaniel Merriwther, deserves a deep dive on his own and is responsible for projects like the aforementioned Deltron 3030, his William S Gibson-esque collaboration with Kool Keith, Dr Octagon, and partnership with Prince Paul, Handsome Boy Modeling School, which features cameos from Father Guido Sarducci, Cat Power, RZA & Mike Patton. Automator also allied with Patton & vocalist Jennifer Charles for the group Lovage and produced and participated in Damon Albarn's animated band, Gorrilaz.

Moving further away from hip hop into retro, RnB, it's worth checking out Durand Jones & the Indications, who meld the flavors of 60's doo-wop, early funk and jazz-tinged rhythm & blues in a contemporary mix, not unlike Amy Winehouse or Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings. Another artist worth checking out is Skinshape, led by multi-instrumentalist, Will Dorey, who takes elements of indie rock, funk, soul, reggae & dub, folk, afrobeat and psychedelia, with influences as varied as Lee 'Scratch' Perry, Donald Byrd & Ennio Morricone.

if you think that rap & hip hop are just "pornography set to music," you really need to expand your horizons, or maybe just try being less racist.

Thanks for the the write up, but If you knew me I highly doubt you think i live in a bubble... but OK.

Also, take note that some folks just don't like specific genera's of music. I dislike a lot of modern Rap. I can give you more examples of crappy modern rap music than you can give me good quality tracks.

I listen to a ton of Hip-Hop and Rap, do you not see my user name? 1983, that should be a dead give away that I am a child of the 90s. Im in my mid 40's now, and lived through the East/West coast drama.

I even like Sven and mikerG, its not all rap its most modern rap.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
if you think that rap & hip hop are just "pornography set to music," you really need to expand your horizons.

I don't listen to either genre much, but understand why a person would make this statement based on some of the videos that have been released since say August 7, 2020 (i.e., WAP). Much of the music/artists mentioned in your post are "old school" now. Tupac has been dead since 1996, 30 years ago.
 
Hi All,

Maybe an odd question but it’s just something that i have been experiencing lately. Not sure if it's stress or if I've just played through my music that its not enjoyable. New music has interested me less lately, the music i use to love has slowly started to be overwhelming to me.

Big fan of 90's rock and alternative, classic rock, jazz, soft rock, classic rock, some 90's hip hop.

I had Good Charlotte spinning yesterday and it just felt like to much was going on, I switched it up to Matchbox 20 and liked it more, but i've noticed lately its hard for me to sit through an entire album. I paly spotify all day and its just been blah. Feels like i lost my music loving mojo....

IKD maybe im just overthinking it but some music lately has just not hit the spot. Its like i want to spin a good album, I dig and dig and cant find anything i want to listen to, switch to CD and its the same, same with cassette, the format or genera dose not seem to matter, I just feel fatigued, and not sure what it is. Either way, any of you ever experience this?
Mine has expanded. Tidal has been a phenomenal investment for just this
 
NO, it has not. I'm 72 now, and I like today all the things I liked since I first started listening to music of all genres. The only difference is that NOW .... I appreciate it more. What DID change is perhaps in reverse. That which I thought I hated, I now only don't prefer. Just because I may not care for something doesn't mean the artiest didn't have talent or skills. Just means his/her offerings doesn't touch me on a personal level.

Garry~
 
My experience with aging is that I don't listen as much to my music as when I was younger. Maybe I've just heard it all and the thrill is gone. Nah, but, I don't go out on the town either to hear live music as I did. Hell, I can't stay up that late anymore. Or drink that much. The aging process has both physical and mental components. I'm more interested in things I'd never have considered when younger. Like macro economics and geopolitical policies. So, go with the flow you know. I do have those good old listening sessions, they're just spaced further out nowadays.
 
I've weeded out a little bit of my music that didn't stand the test of time, but I still enjoy the majority of it and slowly but continually find new music that I enjoy. Feels good! I have phases rotating through my genres, and the occasional week where I don't feel like listening to anything and don't force it. I think this helps.
 
Though my interest in the appreciation side of music hasn't altogether left me, lately I've been far more obsessed with actually making music these days (I play drums in a couple bands: one jazz standards and the other original indie rock), so much that I never feel like I end up playing enough, and have even been considering trying to find another band to play in. I still put on music here and there, but haven't been as much into really spending time on truly directed listening and combing through the more obscure titles in my large collection, something that I've often done in the past. When I am listening, though, I enjoy getting more acquainted with artists and genres that I'm less familiar with. I like putting on old standbys here and there, but as often as not, I'm still into discovering new stuff.

I have, at least for the time being, really slowed down on buying new music, realizing that I end up enjoying the hunt for it maybe even a little more than I like to set aside time to really listen to what I pick up. Also, even though I recently got some additional cabinets, I'm running out of room for the stuff, so I figure that I need to choose what I buy a bit more carefully than I had before. First world problems, though, I realize...
 
Oh good grief. Had to go through my wife’s BTS phase.
“Listen to this. This is early BTS. It’s ‘heavy.’”
BTS, as in the Korean boy band? They all looked like nerdy, skinny, anime-type dudes to me. Not the model of self-reliant masculinity.

I'd prolly revolt, if I was dragged to go to one of their concerts. Going to chick flicks is bad enough. :(


;)
 
Last edited:
BTS, as in the Korean boy band? They all looked like nerdy, skinny, anime-type dudes to me. Not the model of self-reliant masculinity.

I'd prolly revolt, if I was dragged to go to one of their concerts. Going to Chick Flicks is bad enough. :(


;)
Yeah, I'm not wanting to make any real critique of that sort of thing (I'm simply not the audience for it), but in what world is that type of music considered "heavy?" I feel that Bach's organ music from 300 years ago qualifies as heavy, so it's not like I have a really limited, fixed view of it, but K-pop?
 
Last edited:
Yeah, I'm not wanting to make any real critique of that sort of thing (I'm simply not the audience for it), but in waht world is that type of music considered "heavy?" I feel that Bach's organ music from 300 years ago qualifies as heavy, so it's not like I have a really limited, fixed view of it, but K-pop?
I like looking at some K-pop girl bands. The audio often gets muted.

:thumbsup:
 
I like looking at some K-pop girl bands. The audio often gets muted.

:thumbsup:
Why not; the whole thing with it seems to be as much about the visual aspect as the actual music. I did watch some YouTube videos a few years back about the whole K-pop phenomenon, and though it actually was pretty interesting, it didn't make me a fan. Apparently, a lot of that music, maybe even a majority of it, is kind of progressive in a way. A bit like Yes, King Crimson and the like, those songs tend to go in a lot of very different directions and a song can have a number of different feels, with lots of things done with the harmonies and other various tricks with the arrangements (each tune is meant to be a kind of mini-epic!). The fact that they squeeze in all of that stuff into very short, very pop sounding songs is a bit unique...
 
Why not; the whole thing with it seems to be as much about the visual aspect as the actual music. I did watch some YouTube videos a few years back about the whole K-pop phenomenon, and though it actually was pretty interesting, it didn't make me a fan.
Yeah, that K-pop scene is as big as the Beatles were in the 1960s.

I'm not into a lot of the K-pop music. It seems repetitive, homogenized, and pasteurized to me. Call me the Old Fart in the House!

fc2b34b8-0fc4-48c7-b6bb-38537abdd89d.gif
 
Last edited:
Mine has, and some of that change happened some years ago.

In HS listened to Skynard, it not any more. I grew tired of it.

AC/DC I grew tired of that after a while. A few of their songs are really good, and even better when covered by someone else.

I will give anything a try, and hold to what I like.
 
BTS, as in the Korean boy band? They all looked like nerdy, skinny, anime-type dudes to me. Not the model of self-reliant masculinity.

I'd prolly revolt, if I was dragged to go to one of their concerts. Going to chick flicks is bad enough. :(


;)
Yep. Them’s the ones.
 
Also had to listen to Black Pink, which to me, would be the name of a Twisted Sister tribute band.

Reputedly, some of these boy bands get plastic surgery to look more feminine.

Read an interesting article a while back that they inflate their online play statistics by having servers loop their songs 24/7/365 and similar schemes.

Also seems the K-Pop scene is brutally exploitive with aspiring artists.

 
My music taste has not changed it has expanded.I am a child of the 60's so Beatles, rolling stones, Joplin , Hendrix, Doors, Animal's etc....There are a lot of bands that were more obscure in the 60's and 70's that I am discovering when researching. I was stuck in the classic rock era and have expanded my taste with Jazz and some classical. When researching you will always come across something new to you that you will enjoy.
After a rough day The best way to decompress for me is by listening to music in my music room with my lava lamp on.
 
I will say that after having to listen to ‘heavy’ BTS, I cleaned out my ears with some Black Metal.

My son, the teenage Jazz and Big Band fanatic similarly has no use for BTS.

But to the original theme, it’s interesting. When I was a kid, I heard “Indian Reservation” by The Raiders and thought this was the best song ever.

Getting way into Metal, I abandoned that notion, but recently have been buying used Paul Revere And The Raiders CDs and well, they had some cool riffs like on “Kicks.”

A lot to like with them. And way heavier than BTS. Even a helium balloon is heavier…
 
Back
Top Bottom