• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

"Teac Reel to Reel 3300 with owners manual and the factory dust cover and 2 Maxell 10.5 Reels (1 NEW "SEALED" and 1 Take UP) all for the low proce of 10.00."

:drool::jawdrop::sigh:
 
"Teac Reel to Reel 3300 with owners manual and the factory dust cover and 2 Maxell 10.5 Reels (1 NEW "SEALED" and 1 Take UP) all for the low proce of 10.00."

:drool::jawdrop::sigh:


And about 2 weeks ago I bought 2 Reel to Reels one an AKAI GX-280 D and AKAI GX-365 D for 15.00 each. Only the 280 Worked
 
I found a single Realistic MC-1000 at my local thrift this morning ............ couldn't find his brother, but for .99 cents, I couldn't pass it up. Pretty decent shape too except for a small corner ding.
 
I found a single Realistic MC-1000 at my local thrift this morning ............ couldn't find his brother, but for .99 cents, I couldn't pass it up. Pretty decent shape too except for a small corner ding.

The good thing about the MC 1000 is there lack of foam surrounds to rot away.....mine are downstairs running in as we speak.....the cabs look great after a bit of wood oil........
 
The good thing about the MC 1000 is there lack of foam surrounds to rot away.....mine are downstairs running in as we speak.....the cabs look great after a bit of wood oil........

I also found a pair of Utah AS-2 bookshelf 8" 2-ways at the curb today. Looks like they got wet because of slightly swollen cabs & highwater marks on the grill cloth. I'll check them out in the next couple of days & see if there's anything salvageable in them.
 
I have been watching this thread for a while, I finally figured I'd chime in...

So far, my entire system is a Goodwill/SA haul... :banana:

The tuner: Sony STR-V5 - My parents next door neighbor asked me a few years ago if I would kindly help him by taking some of his old junk to Goodwill. He said I could have anything I wanted, since I refused payement. In the middle of all of this "junk" was this gigantic stereo. Missing a knob, and a little dusty... I figured I could use a garage radio, and it had the needles I always liked in CB Radios and my dad's old Realistic stereo. Got it home, plugged it in, it worked, but BADLY needed cleaning. 3 years later, it went poof. Off to the shop, cost $160... :) Total price for Sony - $160...

The Turntable: 8 or 9 years ago, I needed a turntable, the cheapy one I had clunked out, and I wasn't going to pay $100+ for a dieing technology (or so I thought) to get a new cheap turntable. I found a Sanyo TP 1030 at SA - $10. It came with a Audio Techinics needle... I ran the dog snot out of that poor TT. It wasn't until I found AK that I realized I had somewhat of a diamond in the rough... Cleaned it up the past few days and BAM! Total price for Sanyo TP 1030 - $10

The CD Player: Excited about having the Sony back from the shop, I decided to look for a CD player. Tada! I hit the local GW and see two black boxes with a Sony logo on them, buried under a pile of other junk. Test drive the first one, the one that says $7 on it. Drawer slides out, and then binds. Hmm. Look at second one...... There it is! Sony CDP-CE315 5 Disc changer with more options than I have for the $250 Kenwood I have in my living room! $14.99. Get to register and the lady says: "Today's your lucky day sweetie, it's half price day" WOO HOO! Total Sony CDP-CE315 - $7.50

KLH Bookshelf speakers: Friend down the street saw my setup. Looks at me and says, hey, I've got an old system in my shed, I'm gonna carry it to Goodwill, you want it? Old system consisted of Two KLH Bookshelf speakers, 2 Pioneer Bookshelf speakers, a center channel Pioneer, and a relatively new Pioneer Reciever (digital, late 90's). Total price for speakers - FREE!

I guess if you look at it, I have $177.50 tied up into a system that whoops the snot out of the Kenwood system I have in the Livingroom that cost me about $1200 somewhere about 15 years ago. And a free den system to boot!

Not only that, but there's a KR-7600 waiting in the wings to go to the shop and a KR-8050 that looks like it's heading for a parts bin... Cost: $10 - CL Score.

----

With that said... It's off to GW, time to donate. Awesome hobby, if played right, it's Tax Deductible!!!!

:banana:
 
Last edited:
My best thrift store score to date would have to be a pair of JBL C38 cabinets loaded with 075 bullet tweeters and D130 woofers with the aluminum legs ( one broken ). The cabinets were rough but solid enough to reveneer. I found them at a notoriously high priced thrift store but they
must have wanted them gone fast because they were priced at $6.99 for the pair. Grabbed 'em and ran!!!
 
Not audio but definitely the best thrift store find ever for me, a vintage Rolex Speed King with the original Oyster bracelet on the check-out counter junk jewelery rack at the Goodwill for $0.50. That's fifty cents. Yes, it was the Real Deal, the watch tech that overhauled it for me certified it as such.
 
Hitachi Tuner?

I've been looking for a TU-4400 to match my Sansui Au-4400. In the interim I noticed a Hitachi FT-340 in a local thrift for $20. Seems to have a loyal following on AK. Any comments? - should I grab it?
 
Not audio but definitely the best thrift store find ever for me, a vintage Rolex Speed King with the original Oyster bracelet on the check-out counter junk jewelery rack at the Goodwill for $0.50. That's fifty cents. Yes, it was the Real Deal, the watch tech that overhauled it for me certified it as such.

wow!
 
Not audio but definitely the best thrift store find ever for me, a vintage Rolex Speed King with the original Oyster bracelet on the check-out counter junk jewelery rack at the Goodwill for $0.50. That's fifty cents. Yes, it was the Real Deal, the watch tech that overhauled it for me certified it as such.

Goodness me........i found a 1956 Longines automatic gold filled in 10K for $2 at my local thrift.....prolly worth a couple of hundred bucks......after ive had it serviced that is.....
 
A pair of Altec Valencias for $65 at GW, a Rek-O-Kut B12GH turntable in excellent condition for $6, a Harmon Kardon Citation IV preamp loaded with Telefunken 12AX7's for $6 and my most recent find, a pair of Stephens Tru-Sonic 120FR's in mint conditon in beautiful mahogany cabinets for $50. Lots of
other lesser stuff but these have been my favorites so far.
 
A pair of Altec Valencias for $65 at GW, a Rek-O-Kut B12GH turntable in excellent condition for $6, a Harmon Kardon Citation IV preamp loaded with Telefunken 12AX7's for $6 and my most recent find, a pair of Stephens Tru-Sonic 120FR's in mint conditon in beautiful mahogany cabinets for $50. Lots of
other lesser stuff but these have been my favorites so far.

No watches then ?

:banana:
 
Another cassette deck?

Well, yeah, but this one is something.

A trip to the local Savers was rewarded with a Nakamichi LX-5 in very good condition. Seems to play well, at least through some headphones. Haven't had a chance to put it in a system yet; will probably get a chance to do that on Monday.

It looks as if all I need to do is clean the heads and figure out a way to get some oxidation off the front panels.

Not bad for 15 USD.
 
Back
Top Bottom