• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

West St. Paul on Roberts usually never has anything worthy of consideration ....

I know, and that one is sort of on my way home from work, so it would be pretty easy for me to stop there, but I very seldom do so.

Same thing with the one in Eagan.

Well, YOU got a good score out of it anyway! Congrats!
 
I just went into my local thrift store...........nothing exept a ten foot pile of GE and Candle clock radios......

Then i spotted a large (empty) glass fronted HiFi cabinet......the brand name on it read "Sansui"...........my blood ran cold.........where had the contents of that cabinet gone ?

What did i miss ?

Ugh............
 
Last edited:
Picked up a Realistic SA2000 integrated amp today at GW for $30, does anybody know anything about it? Has some Pioneer like features, and then some that are not, like the dual balance/volume slider controls. Fairly heavy for its size.
 
Picked up a Realistic SA2000 integrated amp today at GW for $30, does anybody know anything about it? Has some Pioneer like features, and then some that are not, like the dual balance/volume slider controls. Fairly heavy for its size.

The 1977 Rado shack catalog lists is as being 55w per channel at 8 ohms, and it retailed for $259.95.

Looks nice........
 
Thanks for the info. A little bit more powerful than i expected! Has some parts inside marked Sony, which surprise me a bit. Sounds pretty good, but it's going to be a pain to deoxit probably, most of the pots and switches are sandwiched between two circuit boards. Probably will live in the workshop area, a nice match with the minimus 7s.
 
I bought a Yamaha T-85 tuner from Ebay a couple years ago for $165 plus $20.00 shipping. Kept it for a couple months then sold it for $425.00 plus shipping on, you guessed it, EBAY !!!!!!!!!
 
I've been looking for a TU-4400 to match my Sansui Au-4400. In the interim I noticed a Hitachi FT-340 in a local thrift for $20. Seems to have a loyal following on AK. Any comments? - should I grab it?

Got it on-sale for $10. Pictures attached. Has nary a scratch on it and sounds great!
 

Attachments

  • FT-340_sm_1.jpg
    FT-340_sm_1.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 217
  • FT-340_sm_2.jpg
    FT-340_sm_2.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 136
  • FT-340_nudie_sm_1.jpg
    FT-340_nudie_sm_1.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 105
nice tuner there.
about a month ago i found a nice jvc or nikko, don't remember, exactly, rack mount tuner for around $10 but as i don't listen to radio anymore, i passed.
probably should have got it anyway. oh, well.
 
JVC QL-A2 Turntable $5 rummage sale. Needed some adjustment and tlc. Works well now.

Thorens TD 115 $2.50 E-Waste Collection Drive

Denon AVR75 (circa 1999) $2.50 E-Waste Collection Drive

I gave them $5 donation for both!
 
nice tuner there.
about a month ago i found a nice jvc or nikko, don't remember, exactly, rack mount tuner for around $10 but as i don't listen to radio anymore, i passed.
probably should have got it anyway. oh, well.

Dont beat yourself up over it.........

Early last summer before i discovered this forum i found a huge Nikko receiver in the local thrift store...for the life of me i cant remember the model, but it had a sort of very light brown metal faceplate....i tested it a bit on some crappy speakers that my son had in his room ( i had none then, i have 8 pairs now) and it seemed to be working, but very low......so i took it back and got my $10 returned........i bet a clean and a spray of deoxit would have brought it back to life........

Now im beating myself up over missing the Nikko.....doh !!
 
klipsch forte 2's(mint)-50 bucks at garage sale
pioneer pl-55x tt- free(boss threw it out)
harmon kardon pm-665 integrated-free( owner upgraded to a sherwood and was going to toss it)
 
Jvc kd d4......

3593375817_e3c7fb08f6_b.jpg


At last a tape deck in my local thrift that is half decent and not a piece of trash !!!

Price....$4........100% working after a clean up !!!
 
ADS L710 for $20. Great condition. I'm thinking of selling my JBL 4312 to keep these. I've not done a side-by-side yet. They are definitely different animals. I'm trying to do the something-in-something-out routine because I DON'T HAVE ANY SPACE FOR ANY MORE _____-ity ______ STEREO STUFF! I want to find out more about the dual woofer configuration. That is a strange concept. Oh yeah, rubber surrounds, not foam. Nische! I had a pair once before, maybe the L810 with metal grills. I CL'ed them to someone who I thought would appreciate them, especially for the price! It wasn't a week before I saw them on CL again. I should have kept them.

EDIT: Hooked them up and watched Winwood/Clapton reunion on PBS2. Great show but no high end and absolutely NO cymbal sounds from the ADS. Dead tweeters? No, blown fuses! Replaced and rocked the rest of the evening. These are nice speakers.
 
Last edited:
Having read through all these great finds , mine (and I only recently started looking) seem to pale in coparison: I picked up a Kenwood KA-5500 for $10 and a Realistic System Eleven for $5. It's a lot of fun though!
 
Having read through all these great finds , mine (and I only recently started looking) seem to pale in coparison: I picked up a Kenwood KA-5500 for $10 and a Realistic System Eleven for $5. It's a lot of fun though!

Your collection wont stay at its present level for very long.....weekend beckons.....yard sales and thrift stores.............

Give in now...............i have......

:D
 
Hit a ton of rummage sales today,only one had and albums....over 400 albums with a sign, make an offer. I ask how much, the lady says I just want them gone. So I start looking them over, 7 different Beatles album, 4 Rolling Stones, an Elvis double album that are yellow, Gratefull Dead Working Mans Dead...in all I bought 50 albums all in very good shape (the Beatles were beat up but still playable)...$10. 20 cents each. I left a lot of stuff that I would never play and I picked up some duplicates that are in great shape...Dark Side of The Moon, Hotel California, I Robot, Abbey Road, Crosby Stills Nash and Young.
The Rolling Stones Big's Hits is Mono, Jimi Hendricks Are you Experineced in Mint condition. 4 Moody Blues Album, and Loving Spoonful Greatest Hits. I bought a Fleetwood Mac I had never seen, Future Games, it was from 1971.
 
Back
Top Bottom