• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Today at my local Goodwill I came upon a Nakamechi CR-1 for $9.99. Haven't tried it out yet but looks to be in good shape :). Were it anything but a cassette deck I doubt I'd have a chance in my area - I never see silver in the GW mines in my parts!
 
Today at my local Goodwill I came upon a Nakamechi CR-1 for $9.99. Haven't tried it out yet but looks to be in good shape :). Were it anything but a cassette deck I doubt I'd have a chance in my area - I never see silver in the GW mines in my parts!

Let us know how it runs......and maybe post a pic or Two....please.........
 
Surprising Speakers

I picked up a real nice pair of Acoustic Research S-20 speaker for $10.00 at the GW today.
Acoustic%20Research%20S-20.jpg


I unhooked a set of JBL's from my Sansui 980DB and I was shocked at the BIG, articulate, sound that came out of these!!!! When I was hooking them up a commercial was playing and some dramatic music came up, at first I thought something was wrong, then I realized that was some big bass booming.

Now George Strait is giving them a workout, and Pink Floyd is on deck!

Score!:banana:
 
Stopped by the DAV last week. Noticed something that looked like one of those 400+ CD changers. Turned out to be a Yamaha M-80 in very good condition (& 51 lbs). Purchased it and took it to my car. Went back in to check out the albums, 3 mint Pat Methany's, made one more pass to the AV dept. Sitting next to the vcrs, the matching C-80 preamp.

Total cost less then dinner out.

the m-80 meter cover is mint, it's my camera.
 

Attachments

  • DSC03725.JPG
    DSC03725.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
Lastplace Yamaha score was nice.I remember seeing one of these at a pawnshop 15 years ago.Last piece of quality gear I have seen in that particular shop.
 
This is gonna be really hard to beat!!!
walked into value village thrift store and sitting in the electronics section on top of a sanyo dcx 3450k, is a Linn Sondek lp12! Grace tonearm, shure cartridge. with the lid too. Almost perfect condition. FOR $9.99
walked out with both for $29.98.
 
This is gonna be really hard to beat!!!
walked into value village thrift store and sitting in the electronics section on top of a sanyo dcx 3450k, is a Linn Sondek lp12! Grace tonearm, shure cartridge. with the lid too. Almost perfect condition. FOR $9.99
walked out with both for $29.98.

Man you got ripped-off!


NOT


Great score. :thmbsp:
 
This is gonna be really hard to beat!!!
walked into value village thrift store and sitting in the electronics section on top of a sanyo dcx 3450k, is a Linn Sondek lp12! Grace tonearm, shure cartridge. with the lid too. Almost perfect condition. FOR $9.99
walked out with both for $29.98.

You DOG!!!!!! Just had to rub it in, didn't you?

That was one primo score! :thmbsp: Oh, and welcome to AK!

Mike :D
 
This is gonna be really hard to beat!!!
walked into value village thrift store and sitting in the electronics section on top of a sanyo dcx 3450k, is a Linn Sondek lp12! Grace tonearm, shure cartridge. with the lid too. Almost perfect condition. FOR $9.99
walked out with both for $29.98.

:tears:
 
This is gonna be really hard to beat!!!
walked into value village thrift store and sitting in the electronics section on top of a sanyo dcx 3450k, is a Linn Sondek lp12! Grace tonearm, shure cartridge. with the lid too. Almost perfect condition. FOR $9.99
walked out with both for $29.98.

ARgggggggggHHHH !!
 
I'm not even going to comment on the Linn Sondek ... or I will start weeping and short out my laptop keyboard.

Missed out on a Yamaha R-2000 for sub-$50 today (a craigslist posting) but I picked up a Rotel RB-930AX power amplifier at my local thrift shop for $10. Note on it said "a completely useless amplifier as it only has 1 input - but seems to work well".

30 wpc @8-ohm 20 to 20,000Hz, both channels driven at 0.03%THD, or 90wpc in mono / bridged mode. High current amp (20a) with damping factor of 180 and S/N ratio of 116. Specs sound pretty good.

I think it was made starting 1993.

Pretty good condition - a couple nicks on the front face plate. No sgn of a pre-amp, but then this unit may have been used separatly in a HT setup.

Any ideas on what pre-amp models would typically match up with this?
 

Attachments

  • RB_930AX_SM.JPG
    RB_930AX_SM.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
I already posted this on the turntable forum,but it deserves to go here also:



l
Not far from where I live there is a charity store that I haven't been in for at least 5 years.Today,with absolutely no intention of doing so,I called in as I was driving back towards home.

I kind of poked aroung the electronics section,There was the usual suspects;A few low quality all in one plastic 'stereos'.

The had a few records,so I thought "Why not?".
This is what I brought home:

Joseph Hayden Trumpet Concerto/Michael Hayden Horn Concerto- academy of St Martin In-The-Fields/Neville Mariner Argo ZRG 543
Ansermet conducts Glazunov L'Orchestre De Suisse Romande Decca SXL 6269
Rimsky Korsakov Scheherezade Borodin Polovtsian Dances OSR/Ansermet Decca SXL 2268
Beethoven Symphony No3 'Eroica' Hans-Schmidt-Isserstedt Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra Decca SXL 6232
Beethoven Symphony No1/Symphony No8 Otto Klemperer Philharmonic Orchestra EMI ASD 2560
Beethoven Symphony No6/Egmont Overture Schmidt-Isserstedt/Vienna Philharmonic Decca 6329
Tschaikowsky Symphony no6 Jewgenij Mrawinskij Leningrad Philharmonic DGG SLPM 138659
Tschaikowsky Symphony No4 Herbert Von Karajan Berlin Philharmonic DGG SLPM 139017
Max Bruch Violin Concerto No1/Beethoven Romances for Violin No1 David and Igor Oistrakh DGG 135039
Beethoven Symphony No5 Von Karajan Berlin Philharmonic DGG SLPM 138804
Chopin The Waltzes Malcuzysnki EMI SXLP 30130
Beethoven Violin Concerto Arthur Grumiaux(violin) New Philharmonic Orchestra Alceo Galliera(conductor) Phillips SAL 316
Reverie Carles Groves Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra EMI TWO 199 Puccini Tosca Highlights Paris Conservatoire Orhcestra ASD 2300
Handel Water Music Yehudi Menhuin Bath Festival Orchestra HMV ASD 577
Beethoven Piano Concerto No2 Claudio Arrau Concergebouw Orchestra Philips SAL 314
Adam Giselle Karajan Vienna Philharmonic Decca SXL 6002
Offenbach Gaite Parisienne/Gounod Faust Georg Solti Royal Opera House Orchestra Covent Garden Decca SXL 2280
Tchaikovsky Swan Lake Karajan VPO Decca SXL 6187
Verdi Rigoletto Highlights Chorus and Orchestra of the Accademia Di Santa Cecilia Rome Sanzogno(cond) Decca SXL 6008
Verdi Il Travatore hinglights Chorus and Orchestra of the Teatro dell'Opera di Roma Thomas Schippers(cond) EMI ASD 2395
Schubert Lieder Gerard Souzay(baritone)Dalton Baldwin(piano) Philips SABL 214
Rossini Il Barbiere Di Siviglia Ochestra e Coro Rossini di Naploi Varviso(cond) Decca SXL 6271
Beethoven Emporer Concerto Daniel Barenboim/Otto Klemperer EMI ASD 2500
Beethoven Symphony No2 Otto Klemperer Philharmonic Orchestra EMI ASD 2561
Puccini La Boheme highlights Tullio Sarafin(cond) SXL 2248
Mozart Serenades Willi Boskovshy(cond) Decca SXL 6420
Grieg Piano Concerto/Schumann Piano Concerto Julius Katchen(piano) Istvan Kertesz(cond) Decca SXL 6028
Beethoven Symphony No9 Hans Schmidt-Isserstedt VPO Decca SXL 6233
Handel Messiah London Symphony Orchestra and Choir Colin Davis Philips 802 701 AY
Gilbert and Sullivan Doyly'Carte
Iolanthe Part1 Decca SXL 4119
Iolanthe Part2 Decca SXL 4120
Iolanthe Part3 Decca SXL 4121
The Mikado Becca SKL 4007
The Gondoliers Decca SKL 4140
The Pirates of Penzance Part 1 Decca SKL 4925
The Pirates of Penzance Part 2 Decca SKL 4926
Trial By Jury Decca SKL 4579
Yeomen of the Guard Part1 Decca SKL 4624
Yeomen of the Guard Part 2 Decca SKL 4625
Princess Ida Part 1 Decca SKL 4709
Princess Ida Part 2 Decca SKL 4710
Gilbert and Sullivan Orchestra and Chorus Rome Opera House Sir John Barbirolli EMI ASD 2453
Lerner and Lowe Camelot EMI CSD 1559
Tchaikovsky Serenade for Strings St Martin In-The Fields Neville Mariner Argo ZRG 584
Strauss Die Fledermaus Karajan VPO Decca SXL 6155
Karajan Opera Intermezzi BPO DGG SLPM 139031
Beethoven Sonaten No8 No14 No23 Wilhelm Kempff DGG SLPM 139300
Beethoven Dances and Romances Willi Boskovsky VPO Decca SXL 6436
Abba Arrival ;-0

All $1 each.
The Classical records are all British pressings and all in very good condition
__________________
 
A nice CD player Nakamichi OMS a-1 for $6. Unfortunately it is skipping. Will try to fix, but have low hopes.
 
A pair of ADS L1290 speakers like new, the guy wanted $50. for the pair, I thought it was too much so he took $35!

They have been my main speakers for 3 years now.
 
Back
Top Bottom