• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Well, yeah, but this one is something.

A trip to the local Savers was rewarded with a Nakamichi LX-5 in very good condition. Seems to play well, at least through some headphones. Haven't had a chance to put it in a system yet; will probably get a chance to do that on Monday.

It looks as if all I need to do is clean the heads and figure out a way to get some oxidation off the front panels.

Not bad for 15 USD.

My goodness what a catch !!!!!

Pics please !!!!!!
 
I got a Technics SL PD607 player today for $30 at local SA.:music: Seems to have good specs. It sounds real nice it's a MASH unit not really sure what that is. It went into my basement system which is my private listening system with my Carver and HPM100's
Dwight
 
No watches then ?

:banana:

Nah, no watches. Although after those Rolex stories I will be eyeballing the
jewelry case from now on my way back to the electronics section!:yes:

I did just pick up a pair of Paradigm Titans for $7 yesterday at GW. They will
be perfect as bedroom speakers.
 
Pictures it is!

My goodness what a catch !!!!!

Pics please !!!!!!

Here's some pictures, courtesy of my cell phone--I can't find my camera right now (I think my kid has it for some school project).

Not the best, but you get the idea.

BTW, it's sitting on top of my Kenwood KR-3130, but it's running through my Sansui 661 and then into my Minimus 7's.

Sounds very good, and the mechanics all seem to be okay.
 

Attachments

  • Nakamichi19 (Medium).JPG
    Nakamichi19 (Medium).JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 120
  • Nakamichi17 (Medium).JPG
    Nakamichi17 (Medium).JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Nakamichi16 (Medium).JPG
    Nakamichi16 (Medium).JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Today hit a couple of rummage sales, found a Sony MVC CD500---Digital Camera that lets you use CD-RW disks, $10 including 2 chargers, manuals, 5 disks and cables. This thing is great.
Pickup up a Pioneer PL 50 turntable of of Craigslist...$20, just needs a belt. It belonged to the guys Uncle, he had bought in in the early 70's in a PX in the military. It has what looks like the orginal needle in very good shape. Waiting for the belt to get here.
 

Attachments

  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 75
I've been ino the vintage/thrift store hobby for about a year and a half, ever since my wife said I could go ahead and spend a few grand on a high-end stereo. Before I could spend that much I needed to figure out what sound I liked. Turns out I like cheap old vintage sounds, so I've saved a bunch. Here are my deals:

Sansui AU-717 amp - free from my friend
Polk Audio Monitor 7s - $75 with bonus Yamaha receiver and CD Player
Paisley Technologies Model 500 speakers - $25 classified ad
Marantz 5 disc changer - $15 Salvation Army thrift
Sansui T-60 tuner - free from my friend
Marantz 2230 receiver - $12 Salvation Army thrift
Sansui AU-555a amp - $15 BFM thrift
EPI 100 speakers - $15 BFM thrift
Sony STR-5800 receiver - $1 - garage sale
Yamaha P-550 turntable - free from a different friend
Sansui SP-X9700 speakers - new in the box - $40 - thrift store

All this was started when I bought the system from a bar that was closing, where I got 3 pairs of Paradigm 5se, a giant pair of Sounddynamics 1500s, plus a Sherwood receiver and a box of CDs for $100.

A lot has been sold and more gets collected, but my wife is wondering about the stacks of equipment taking up space. But she loves the sound too, so I'm lucky.

The only new pieces I've purchased are my Technics 1210 M5G and the Shure M97xe cartridges, which I decided on after going through a dozen crappy thrift store TTs.

Any suggestions on how to spend the $3grand?
 
Today hit a couple of rummage sales, found a Sony MVC CD500---Digital Camera that lets you use CD-RW disks, $10 including 2 chargers, manuals, 5 disks and cables. This thing is great.
Pickup up a Pioneer PL 50 turntable of of Craigslist...$20, just needs a belt. It belonged to the guys Uncle, he had bought in in the early 70's in a PX in the military. It has what looks like the orginal needle in very good shape. Waiting for the belt to get here.

Nice.........looks a bit like the turntable i got during the week in my local thrift for $3 the belts snapped and no stylus in the cartridge......iv'e posed the pic to make it look like its playing a record :)

Maybe the same OEM made both Turntables ?

3546302954_0d8e4cb682_b.jpg
 
I've been ino the vintage/thrift store hobby for about a year and a half, ever since my wife said I could go ahead and spend a few grand on a high-end stereo. Before I could spend that much I needed to figure out what sound I liked. Turns out I like cheap old vintage sounds, so I've saved a bunch. Here are my deals:

Sansui AU-717 amp - free from my friend
Polk Audio Monitor 7s - $75 with bonus Yamaha receiver and CD Player
Paisley Technologies Model 500 speakers - $25 classified ad
Marantz 5 disc changer - $15 Salvation Army thrift
Sansui T-60 tuner - free from my friend
Marantz 2230 receiver - $12 Salvation Army thrift
Sansui AU-555a amp - $15 BFM thrift
EPI 100 speakers - $15 BFM thrift
Sony STR-5800 receiver - $1 - garage sale
Yamaha P-550 turntable - free from a different friend
Sansui SP-X9700 speakers - new in the box - $40 - thrift store

All this was started when I bought the system from a bar that was closing, where I got 3 pairs of Paradigm 5se, a giant pair of Sounddynamics 1500s, plus a Sherwood receiver and a box of CDs for $100.

A lot has been sold and more gets collected, but my wife is wondering about the stacks of equipment taking up space. But she loves the sound too, so I'm lucky.

The only new pieces I've purchased are my Technics 1210 M5G and the Shure M97xe cartridges, which I decided on after going through a dozen crappy thrift store TTs.

Any suggestions on how to spend the $3grand?

Modify the Technics 1200 with some of the $3000.That will give you a superb Source component for the $ spent.
Then keep reading AK for ideas about amps and speakers.For speakers go DIY.
 
I stopped by one of my local GW's on my way home yesterday and scored.
I picked up a Sansui AU-717 for $5 and a Marantz ST400 tuner for $5.
The tuner is perfect. The amp is filthy inside and the bass control isn't very responsive but it fired right up and both channels are well balanced. I'll clean it up and deoxit, then see what I have. I'll probably sell these two pieces to fund the hobby a little.
 
Picked up a pair of Paradigm Atoms that need some refoaming for $8 last night on my way home from work. Great way to start the weekend!
 
yardsale finds

I picked up a pair of KL-777DX Kenwood speakers in good working order for $5 and a JVC QL-A200 turntable compleat with a cheap stylus but it works for $2 .Got to love saturday morning yardsales
 
Finally - something worthy of this forum....

Stopped at a local thrift today and picked up a Sansui QRX-7001 4-ch. Receiver, Sansui QD-5500 4-ch. Reel-to-Reel, Akai CR-80D-SS Surround Sound 4-ch. 8-track player/recorder, Pioneer CT-F850 3-head Cassette Deck, and Pioneer H-R100 8-track player/recorder. All are dirty from garage storage but look to clean up nicely. Didn't test any of it - didn't have to. Got it all for $43 out the door --- can I join the club?
 
Finally - something worthy of this forum....
Stopped at a local thrift today and picked up a Sansui QRX-7001 4-ch. Receiver, Sansui QD-5500 4-ch. Reel-to-Reel, Akai CR-80D-SS Surround Sound 4-ch. 8-track player/recorder, Pioneer CT-F850 3-head Cassette Deck, and Pioneer H-R100 8-track player/recorder. All are dirty from garage storage but look to clean up nicely. Didn't test any of it - didn't have to. Got it all for $43 out the door --- can I join the club?"

::eek::eek::jawdrop::jawdrop:
 
Last edited:
Stopped at a local thrift today and picked up a Sansui QRX-7001 4-ch. Receiver, Sansui QD-5500 4-ch. Reel-to-Reel, Akai CR-80D-SS Surround Sound 4-ch. 8-track player/recorder, Pioneer CT-F850 3-head Cassette Deck, and Pioneer H-R100 8-track player/recorder. All are dirty from garage storage but look to clean up nicely. Didn't test any of it - didn't have to. Got it all for $43 out the door --- can I join the club?

OMG........

All i saw yesterday in the thrift was a pile of cable boxes and a Yorx boombox with one Yorx speaker and one RCA one.........
 
I recognize a Goodwill sticker on top. You obviously didn't get it any of the ones I go to around here!

West St. Paul on Roberts usually never has anything worthy of consideration but I've had some luck recently. The lady had just brought it from the back.
 
Back
Top Bottom