• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

OK, so I'm jealous!!

I have not gotten any new finds for the new year so far, and I'm jealous of all those who have.

It's just not fair!!

I gotta get out there.
 
My job affords me the the opportunity to hit about seven thrift stores a day, all over the city. Some of the promsing ones I hit twice a day. The employees and managers know me, and what I'm looking for. Sometimes they let me know if they have any electronics comming out, and I'll wait around for a while. I always look in the backroom, If I see something interesting I'll ask about it. But they won't hold anything for me, It's mostly about timing. I'll walk into one store, and someone is walking out with a decent piece of gear, that I have missed by seconds. You win some you lose some.
 
This week, I scored a GAS Thoebe preamp for $59 and a JBL 6260 stereo power amp for $50 from thrift stores.

So, I thought I'd join AudioKarma. :wave:
 
Ya thats what I said too. The auto-flip has got to be one of the coolest features ever. The unit on top of it was a thrift score from last year.. Hughes AK-100 Sound Retrieval System. Talk about obscure. That one was $20.

I also scored a RX202 but for 22 bucks in mint condition a couple of weeks ago. The Auto-flip is too cool!!! and these units sound great!!:thmbsp:
 
My best find ever was a mint condition 1974 silver faced Marantz 2015 receiver that was at a local flea market sitting under the table in a pizza style box. Prepared to offer at least $25.00 minimum for this unit; I asked the woman how much and she said ONE DOLLAR!!!!!!

Upon testing it works fine as if it were new.
 
I think this is a good find at Goodwill..A Zenith Allegro Solid_State Console Stereo works perfectly for $3.99. AMFM, 8Track, and Turntable, beautiful wooden cabinet. I am having difficulty finding sites to find out the age, or info, manufacture date, etc.

My aunt has one of these and wants me to take it. I have no room, but they are nice. I, too, looked there and can't find anything. Probably early to mid '60s
 
Posted the speakers in the "speaker" topic section. Electrostat 2's and unknown

Pictured: Continental Model 5412, Realistic STA-46, Realistic STA-225 = $6.99 each

TransAaudio turntable = $11.99
 

Attachments

  • stack.jpg
    stack.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 120
Posted the speakers in the "speaker" topic section. Electrostat 2's and unknown

Pictured: Continental Model 5412, Realistic STA-46, Realistic STA-225 = $6.99 each

TransAaudio turntable = $11.99

The turntable looks interesting......post some pics of it in the Turntable section please....... :thmbsp:
 
I guess I wasn't clear enough but it was indeed a pair. I have been listening to a ton of different styles of music this evening to test them out. Santana's "Abraxas" has been the best performer so far on the ADS's.
 
NHT find.

Picked up an NHT SA-2 sub amp in original box & a passive NHT SW2 sub for $25 yesterday. :music:
 

Attachments

  • P1010006.jpg
    P1010006.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 35
  • P1010007.jpg
    P1010007.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 71
  • P1010008.jpg
    P1010008.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 60
  • P1010009.jpg
    P1010009.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Pioneer PL-S50 Full Auto Quartz DD Table. It all works perfect and there's no belts to buy.


PioneerPL-S50.jpg
 
Last edited:
This week I picked up a pair of Polk 800i speakers and a Harman Kardon AVR520...
The H/K doesn't have a remocon but I see them on Ebay so that's no problem...
Also got an Infinity and Energy subwoofer and a Yamaha cdc 645 CD player, again no remocon...
I'm looking forward to putting them to the "test"....
 
Yesterday: Realistic STA-2290 for $29, and NAD 5170 Multi CD Player 6+1 for $5.99. The Receiver works great, but I had to dig out a jammed CD from the NAD and realign some things before I could get it to work again :)

Opossumcrush: I believe I bought some Realistic Mach One's from you not too long ago. I still have them and are currently up for main use (I switch back and forth)
 
Back
Top Bottom