• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

I work at a radio station that has thrown out the following:

2 Marantz recievers
1 Sansui 221
1 Sansui 999

They are making space for storage and plan on getting rid of some more stuff. So I guess my dumpster diving will pay off one day. For now I just need to find a source for lights and parts.
I'm a newbie so any help is appreciated.
 
Where's this radio station? :)

I work at a radio station that has thrown out the following:

2 Marantz recievers
1 Sansui 221
1 Sansui 999

They are making space for storage and plan on getting rid of some more stuff. So I guess my dumpster diving will pay off one day. For now I just need to find a source for lights and parts.
I'm a newbie so any help is appreciated.
 
I went to the shop "Secondhandland" near us today and they have a room where they chuck broken equipment and sell it really cheaply. So I went in to have a look and sitting on the floor was a Trio KR 3090 Amp. It looked like the day it was made so thought it was worth it even if it was knackered, so went to ask how much as it had no price on it and he said £1 because it was old, horrible and out of fashion. Got it home and plugged it in and there is nothing wrong with it at all. every thing works perfectly without a crackle. I was so happy when I found it and even more so when it worked perfectly.

Here are a couple of pics of it now...


trio.jpg


trio2.jpg
 
"Fashion" is supposed to make one feel good about oneself. You must feel great about acquiring your "unfashionable" Trio/Kenwood receiver.
 
Last edited:
I went to the shop "Secondhandland" near us today and they have a room where they chuck broken equipment and sell it really cheaply. So I went in to have a look and sitting on the floor was a Trio KR 3090 Amp. It looked like the day it was made so thought it was worth it even if it was knackered, so went to ask how much as it had no price on it and he said £1 because it was old, horrible and out of fashion. Got it home and plugged it in and there is nothing wrong with it at all. every thing works perfectly without a crackle. I was so happy when I found it and even more so when it worked perfectly.

Here are a couple of pics of it now...


trio.jpg


trio2.jpg

Looks like a Kenwood receiver my dad used to have.
 
Just picked up a couple of cassette decks, a Yamaha kxw900 and a Nakamichi 582.

$6.00 took them both home

The Yamaha works great but the Nakamichi sounds muffled and dynamically dead beyond 2k hz if my G1 is to be believed. Normally it agrees with outputs from my pc and Adobe Audition so... I am off to the cassette forum
 
Sony TC-880-2 absolutely pristine, in the box with "demo unit" written on it for $45 or $65 I can't remember which, does it matter? HA! So, that one was good enough for me so if I never find another thing I will be ok ;) Other finds include a carver tube CD for $15 (junky imho but still)...a Pioneer cassette CT F1250 for $20. rare Sony D-Z555 Japanese discman for $5 (skips but I am working on it). Thats all I can think of for now that is audio related. Did find a Sony Betamax SL HF2000 for $10 too, that was just recently this past Christmas. Some people said I have a knack for sniffing this stuff out as I used to get something good once a month but I rarely look anymore as I have found nothing in the past 5 years to speak of other than a beta machine which I plan to sell and put towards a tube amp - good luck to you all!
 
Last edited:
Realistic MC-1201

Scored a set of MC-1201's at my local GW today for $10... After seeing this forum I decided that I had to go and check it out... Does anyone know anything about these speakers? I can't find specs on them anywhere. They play and sound pretty good...
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1466.JPG
    IMG_1466.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 122
Scored a set of MC-1201's at my local GW today for $10... After seeing this forum I decided that I had to go and check it out... Does anyone know anything about these speakers? I can't find specs on them anywhere. They play and sound pretty good...

Some more detailed pics in the speaker section of the forum would get you some answers, there are some pretty clever people over there......
 
Best find......
McIntosh C34V Preamp Control Center (1985-'92), McIntosh MR7082 Digital Tuner (1986-'90), McIntosh MC2205 Power Amp (1975-'79) all enclosed in American walnut cases in mint condition for $500. Original retail: $5,727. Owner's wife was going to throw it all out on the sidewalk for garbage pick up. Didn't want the units brought back into the front room after the new carpet was installed. :nono: Also picked up a Dual 721 TT and a Denon 45F TT at the same home. Sometimes wives can be a collector's best friend.
 
Not a good week at the thrifts this week. All if found worth getting was this Sansui 2000X, $5.00.
DSCN1473.jpg
Hey Raddek, I hope you are enjoying the Mach Ones.:music:
 
Brst Items ever recieved: Kenwood intergrated amp KA7020, KW 5020 Tuner, NAk RX-505 Cassette, and Cerwin-Vega sub woofer, all free, I am second owner, sister in law gave them to me, her first husband had them new, he was killed at begining of first gulf war in plane crash. She thought I would take care of them better than anyone she could sell them to, I am not a fan of Kenwood(long story) but for free, hell yes. My NAD amp and pre amp I got at half price with 20% discount coupon on top, a going out of business sale.Also my NAD tuner, Carver C-1 i bought for 50$ I am second owner. I had two Akai cassette players, akai TT and Akai reciever with two Sansui speakers given to me in germany free by someone that didn't want to ship them, I sold them for $2000 and one of the speakers was blown. I could have had another 500 if it had been good. I can't think of the number of people I have convince to buy Bose 901's just by inviting them to my house and giving them a demo of what mine could do.

Steve
 
Found a digital quartz MCS 3260 receiver for $10.It was made by Technics and is actually a quite nice unit.After dealing with analogue tuners for so long the digital one is quite nice for a change.Opossumcrush thats a nice receiver for $5.
 
Thanks Superdog, I picked up one of those MCS 3260s last month for $3.00. It works pretty good, although I'm having trouble with the tuning board. It seems like it gets stuck and won't move to other stations. I've got it apart now, hoping De ox will take care of it.
 
Sometimes wives can be a collector's best friend.[/QUOTE]

I second that Audiobug ;) Sad but true, I think mine is a good bet to keep that trend alive should anything happen to me :banana:
 
Not a vintage stereo item, but I picked up a flat panel wall mount, 30 to 60 inch, with all the parts, for $10. But it does have a tie-in as it will get the 42 inch Bravia off the teak Telefunken console unit (which isn't I suppose such a great tie-in as it is tube).

... oh, and some vinyl this week .... Bryan Ferry, ELO, Joe Cocker, Blondie, Greg Lake, Robbie Robertson, Springsteen, Supertramp, Trooper, Chicago, Manfred Mann, Mike & the Mechanics, Max Webster, etc.
 
Back
Top Bottom