• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Found a Sansui P-L45 linear tracking turntable at Goodwill for $6.50. Spent some time relubing the sled and replacing the RCA cables, ( only getting sound out of one channel.) Now works perfectly and has replaced the Technics SL-Q300 in the system until my next thrift upgrade.
 
Picked up a replacement for the wife's crappy bathroom clock radio yesterday at the local GW.
Technics SA-110 receiver and a pair of Onkyo S-07 bookshelf speakers rated to 50W.
Not anything great but light years ahead of that damn radio which I hated.:D
I paid $9.95 for the pair of speakers which look and work great.
The receiver was black label marked so half price on Sunday,I gave all of $6.50 for it,it works fine but could use a lightbulb for the tuner dial.
Pretty good sounding set up for under $18.:smoke:


Haven't been able to find any specs on this little gem,it's a tiny little thing.
sa110technics8.jpg
 
Recent Thrift Finds

After a 4 week dry spell, picked up a few things over past week.

Yamaha A-1000 Int Amp $17 :thmbsp:

Marantz 120 Tuner $5 :thmbsp:

Marantz 3300 Pre-amp $5 :thmbsp:

Dynaco A-25 speakers $5 :music:

Kenwood system KC-105 Pre, KM-105 125 WPC amp, KT-45 Tuner. DP-87 CD Player $40 for all.

Thorens TD 115 MK II TT with Shure V15 Cart $150 at local electronics store. Maybe not the best price find, but, I've been wanting a Thorens for a while & jumped on it.

Yamaha P-450 TT in original box (No Packing) $19 Had original assy box with hinges, clear Stylus overhang gauge, extra headshell & screws. The headshell on the arm had the original Yammie cart though the stylus shank was gone.

Infinity 3000 speakers, $10 need woofer refoam

Infinity RS-4001 speakers $6 need refoam

Yamaha CX-1000U Pre-amp with digital in & outputs. $5 :banana: I have been looking for one of these for a long time. Need some cleaning & De-Ox on the volume control, missing the power button & input select covers ( Many Yammies from this time are missing one or two button covers, Bad design I quess) Everything seems to funtion. Will pair it up with my Yammie M-70 amp.
Not to bad a haul for 5-6 days.
 
Last edited:
I hit the jackpot several months ago. My brother has a business that provides clean-out services. Many home owners and realtors use his business to clean out houses prior to listing them for sale. He was cleaning out a house that was for sale as a result of a divorce. He called me because he came upon two vacuum tube amplifiers and knew that I might be interested. Then he told me that the name on the amps was Conrad Johnson.

I went to the house he was cleaning out and discovered that he had come across two pristine Conrad Johnson Premier Twelve amplifiers. We contacted the realtor my brother was working for and told him of the find. The realtor stated we should abide by the clean -out contract which says that anything removed from the house by the clean-out contractor is the property of the contractor.

I became the owner of two very nice CJ12s that cost me the price of gas to get to the clean-out house and lunch for my brother.
:sigh:
 
I picked up a pair of Quadraflex rs4 speakers (10" 2 way acoustic suspension bookshelf style) for $3.99 @ GW. They needed new grill material and some cone repair, but after doing those repairs, they sound pretty good and look decent.
 
Holy sh!t. Maybe I should be glad the thrift stores here hardly ever have anything worth dragging home.

After a 4 week dry spell, picked up a few things over past week.

Yamaha A-1000 Int Amp $17 :thmbsp:

Marantz 120 Tuner $5 :thmbsp:

Marantz 3300 Pre-amp $5 :thmbsp:

Dynaco A-25 speakers $5 :music:

Kenwood system KC-105 Pre, KM-105 125 WPC amp, KT-45 Tuner. DP-87 CD Player $40 for all.

Thorens TD 115 MK II TT with Shure V15 Cart $150 at local electronics store. Maybe not the best price find, but, I've been wanting a Thorens for a while & jumped on it.

Yamaha P-450 TT in original box (No Packing) $19 Had original assy box with hinges, clear Stylus overhang gauge, extra headshell & screws. The headshell on the arm had the original Yammie cart though the stylus shank was gone.

Infinity 3000 speakers, $10 need woofer refoam

Infinity RS-4001 speakers $6 need refoam

Yamaha CX-1000U Pre-amp with digital in & outputs. $5 :banana: I have been looking for one of these for a long time. Need some cleaning & De-Ox on the volume control, missing the power button & input select covers ( Many Yammies from this time are missing one or two button covers, Bad design I quess) Everything seems to funtion. Will pair it up with my Yammie M-70 amp.
Not to bad a haul for 5-6 days.
 
Value Village provided me with a garage system. Love the speedometer like dial. :)
 

Attachments

  • electrophonic.jpg
    electrophonic.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 132
I picked up this stuff off a local freecycle site.The ad said component items for local pickup. I was 1/2 expecting a pile of Yorx or Soundesign. I come up to the door and the guy hands me a Sansui au6500 amp the rest is just icing on the cake. I haven't checked it all out yet and it's all filthy dirty as the pic shows.

there's also a Technics cd changer not pictured that looks pretty trashed but hey, the price was right....
luxman
[/URL][/IMG]
 
Have not pick up much in a while. Keep seeing the same guys though on my rounds. There seems to be to many of us versus the supply
 
What the hell is going on up there!That s unbelievable are people out there that rich that they can just give gear like that away. Even on the GW website all the nicest stuff comes from the Wash, Oregon area,It would take me a year to find that much stuff around here.

Well, I can't argue with that... my Goodwill find (which probably thoroughly blew my thrift-shop karma for the next 10 years) was a year-old 61" Samsung DLP HDTV that I purchased for $60.00.

(Yeah, I know that's almost $1.00 per screen inch-- but it came with the remote, so how could I say "no"...?) :D

And those football games look **mighty** nice when they're almost life-size.

- Kevin
 
I picked up this stuff off a local freecycle site.The ad said component items for local pickup. I was 1/2 expecting a pile of Yorx or Soundesign. I come up to the door and the guy hands me a Sansui au6500 amp the rest is just icing on the cake. I haven't checked it all out yet and it's all filthy dirty as the pic shows.

there's also a Technics cd changer not pictured that looks pretty trashed but hey, the price was right....
luxman
[/URL][/IMG]


Way to go! Love that Sansui. :)
 
I bought the same Samsung 61" HDTV three years ago new...for a lot more! Sad...great find though. I need to get out there and start hunting again..looking for a Sony TA-3650, 4650, 5650....

Also contemplating selling my HDTV and gettting a lightling smaller LCD or plasma...no idea what mine is worth now..

Btw...in the Portland/Vancouver Area, where are the best Goodwills/SA's to find vintage gear?
 
Yesterday's score:

Nakamichi RX-202
Perfect working order. Cosmetics like brand new.
$15.50 plus tax ...MINE!!!

NAKRX-202.png

​
 
My finds for the first week of 2010. Polk Audio Monitor 5a $12.00, Rectilinear XIa, $4.00, and Onkyo DX-703, $3.00. Hopefully many more to follow.
DSCN1464.jpg
DSCN1463.jpg
DSCN1465.jpg
 
Ya thats what I said too. The auto-flip has got to be one of the coolest features ever. The unit on top of it was a thrift score from last year.. Hughes AK-100 Sound Retrieval System. Talk about obscure. That one was $20.
 
How the heck are you guys finding this stuff!The thrift stores here put out nothing or crap anymore.The Goodwill manager takes anything of any value (have witnessed this such numerous times that I finally got fed up and reported him) and another thrift store has "volunteers" who get all the good stuff (then have yard sales).Another thrift store,if they get anything in there's a HOLD sign on it. A year ago everything changed and it's a drag walking into these places now because I walk out empty handed *every* time..Is anyone else seeing this type of thing in their city?
 
Back
Top Bottom