• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

well it isn't a goodwill find but I pulled a marantz 2220b out of a dumpster a couple of weeks back and after replacing 4 bulbs it works perfectly. Plus my wife can't complain about me spending money on new gear.
 
Another v. good & cheap CD player joined my growing collection today. Philips CD-40 (exactly the same as Marantz CD-40) for $4.99 at GW. I plan to modify it to get the best possible sound, but even as is, this thing put instant smile on my face the moment I took it for a spin. :D

It has modest placticky looks, but a TDA1541 DAC inside, made 1990 in Belgium, and has addictively beautiful sound even without any mods.

Man! That's a great find. I've been looking for a TDA1541 based CD player at a good price, but haven't found one yet.
 
well it isn't a goodwill find but I pulled a marantz 2220b out of a dumpster a couple of weeks back and after replacing 4 bulbs it works perfectly. Plus my wife can't complain about me spending money on new gear.

They don't come any better than free!

And it's even environmentally helpful.

Great score.
 
Another v. good & cheap CD player joined my growing collection today. Philips CD-40 (exactly the same as Marantz CD-40) for $4.99 at GW. I plan to modify it to get the best possible sound, but even as is, this thing put instant smile on my face the moment I took it for a spin. :D

It has modest plasticky looks, but a TDA1541 DAC inside, made 1990 in Belgium, and has addictively beautiful sound even without any mods.

philipscd40.jpg



Compare the looks with Marantz CD-40 (random pic from the web):
marantzcd40.jpg

Very nice man! :yes::thmbsp:
 
My two best finds were a pair of vintage studio monitor JBL L-88's $40.00 and an ADCOM GFA-555 for $10.00.

At a yardsale, a Marantz 2015 for just 1 DOLLAR! :-D
 
Today's trip to Goodwill got me some more audio gear for cheap.

The first one is PMG 8800E CD player for $3.99. I know... I've never heard of it either, that is until today. Pictures follow below.

Nice cosmetic and working order. Made in Japan 1988:
95241444.jpg


I took a look under the hood:
77278220.jpg


Note how the brown flat ribbon cable goes from the bottom of the laser pickup all the way to the main board:
42309587.jpg


YM3020 is the DAC chip. Sounds very nice, but there is little information about it. Single Harman Kardon model and a single Onkyo CD player model used that DAC in the past:
86840723.jpg


All else is good old Yamaha with Elna caps and pretty good looking other parts:
55299384.jpg


88862684.jpg
 
Where R U guys finding these great deals?

wow man, im seeing some fantastic deals here at thrift stores! But so far, Ive been checking tons of thrift stores and can find nothing but obsolete CD players, VHS players and cassette decks. As far as vintage audio receivers or speakers....NADA! Ive been checking for at least 6 months now and its always the same...ZILCH. I live in a major metro area in Socal too with at least 10 thrifts within 10 miles. Ive seen some deals in one well run pawn shop but thats it. I usually check out CL to find anything.:saywhat:
 
wow man, im seeing some fantastic deals here at thrift stores! But so far, Ive been checking tons of thrift stores and can find nothing but obsolete CD players, VHS players and cassette decks. As far as vintage audio receivers or speakers....NADA! Ive been checking for at least 6 months now and its always the same...ZILCH. I live in a major metro area in Socal too with at least 10 thrifts within 10 miles. Ive seen some deals in one well run pawn shop but thats it. I usually check out CL to find anything.:saywhat:

:scratch2: We must be jinxed. :D I never have gotten anything good in a thrift store. I suppose there must also be a lot of luck involved. Oh well.
 
Fisher CR 5120 three head deck
Pioneer TX 6700

Nothing special but appealing enough at $10 ea.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom