• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Greatest. eBay. Listing. Ever.

Now THAT'S an e-bay seller who knows what he is doing!

LOL!!

I always like the e-bay pictures of a "mint condition" amp covered in dust, laying on a dirty garage floor next to a decaying cockroach.
Makes me want to run right out and bid, bid, bid!?

Steve
 
Go for it guys. I'm sure it's a nice piece but being "blinded by the light" and "baffle by bullshit" is not gonna make me overpay on Ebay or anywhere else. I like sellers that stick to the facts about the item, no "bells and whistles" for me. A little gleam I can deal with, not his guy. Read between the lines, things like tubes test good bother me when someone is out to get big bucks from my pocketbook. Probably test barely good, if they tested like new I'm sure he'd mention it. As our beloved passed AK'er would have said, "more data,less wank".
 
No one else uses the Chrome browser? His HTML is malformed and the main part of the listing gets compressed in a small column on the left.

Looks OK in Firefox (very nice listing) but I dropped a note to let him know. Great ad listing means nothing if you can't read it!

Display is absolutely identical for me in Chrome, IE, and FF, right down to the word wraps at precisely the same letter. No text compression or overlap into the graphics. If you're seeing text compressed at all differently or displays any different from one another in different browsers, it's in your browser settings and/or your monitor resolution.
 
Go for it guys. I'm sure it's a nice piece but being "blinded by the light" and "baffle by bullshit" is not gonna make me overpay on Ebay or anywhere else. I like sellers that stick to the facts about the item, no "bells and whistles" for me. A little gleam I can deal with, not his guy. Read between the lines, things like tubes test good bother me when someone is out to get big bucks from my pocketbook. Probably test barely good, if they tested like new I'm sure he'd mention it. As our beloved passed AK'er would have said, "more data,less wank".

I partially agree with you. I'm not as cynical about the quality of the product (the tubes being "barely good" and all), but I could easily do without the biographical information on Mr. Avery Fisher and much of the other hyperbole. I find the reflective surface under the receiver to be nice eye candy but ultimately a distraction from the unit itself. I'd prefer to see the facts about the unit presented cleanly and concisely, good pictures (which his generally are) that clearly show the condition of the unit with close ups of both exceptionally good features as well as all visible flaws.

I guess we're in the minority though, as his ads obviously appeal to lots of folks and do get them to pay up above market value. Good for him.
 
Very nice, but perhaps a bit over the top. Looks like an ad for a BMW in a snooty car rag :) I have a decent Canon Rebel digital camera, but I can't get pics like that. Also knowing how to use the settings and lighting might help as would knowing how to lay out an ad. Like I said, it's done well, but a bit anal. He prolly has his carpets professionally steam cleaned(or replaced) weekly :)
 
Not sure it's the same seller, but a very similar auction for a Teac X-2000r went crazy a few weeks ago.

An editor for pop tronics, forget his name, said back in late 90s that all and any timne spent on pics gets paid back. He was talking about spending HOURS on making the pics right

I just can't do that. Not enough patience, or equipment, or time.
 
Well, it's fixed now. I don't think I explained it clearly in my post--there was actually a separate window (with its own scroll bar and everything on the left). I've seen this happen from time to time in other listings as well. Now it wraps at the same letter, etc. for me too!

(And I just had to explain to my wife that no I do not want to buy this, yes, yes, I know we can't afford it, and I was only looking at the ad again to see the HTML, and she says "why the hell do you even CARE?!" She has a point, I admit.)

Display is absolutely identical for me in Chrome, IE, and FF, right down to the word wraps at precisely the same letter. No text compression or overlap into the graphics. If you're seeing text compressed at all differently or displays any different from one another in different browsers, it's in your browser settings and/or your monitor resolution.
 
That RG price is crazy over the top!

You know, this is an interesting comment, and I think it deserves a bit more discussion.

For well-known items, like the famous, collectible, and highly desirable "Whiz-Bang GX-5000", eBay is the source for current fair market values. If, over a period of time, (taking cosmetic and operating condition into consideration, of course), a goodly number of Whiz-Bang GX-5000's sell for an average of $500, then that's as good a number as you can get for the current FMV.

Now, let's assume that the average eBay auction contains average (fuzzy, small, crappy) pics of an average (dusty, dirty, unpolished) Whiz-Bang GX-5000, with the usual boneheaded statement ("If you're looking at this, you know what it is.", which means the seller doesn't bother to tell you anything else. So, what happens when the seller in the first post in this thread gets a Whiz-Bang GX-5000 to sell? Yup, first he cleans it up. Washed, waxed, aluminum bits polished, basic repairs, light bulbs replaced, etc. Then, he does some research so he can give some facts and background to potential sellers who might not realize just how well a Whiz-Bang GX-5000 can perform. Finally, he gets some lights set up and makes a pretty spot to take some pictures, and posts the pics and the results of his research using an attractive eBay selling template.

And his Whiz-Bang GX-5000 sells for $976. Which is "...crazy over the top!".:D

Which means that price will now come up whenever anybody does a FMV research. And, what does that mean for the current value of your Whiz-Bang GX-5000?

There's an enormous amount of truth behind the stock market cliche:

"A rising tide lifts all boats.".:yes:
 
Last edited:
True, but the flip side of that is it tends to raise your costs as a buyer over time, also - particularly if the item is in a fairly narrow niche where selection is limited. Next thing you know, the local flippers add that item to their target lists and you can't find a decent price on one locally or on eBay.

Not complaining, I still do ok... but in general any time prices for something on eBay reach the "holy crap!" point, it means the clock is ticking for them to start rising other places.

John
 
Absolutely. Rising prices make sellers happy, not buyers.

There's another phrase that golfers use: "Every swing makes somebody happy.".:D
 
Not to carp but with this ad you can move along to the next one. It's not in the middle of your favorite TV show for the sixth time today. Whoever they are, they put a lot of work into it. Cream does rise to the top. Just my 10 cents,YMMV:D I have no affiliation with this metaphor:huge:
 
Back
Top Bottom