• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Hafler dh-220

Register to hide this ad
Well after doing some research these test differently than normal outputs. I believe these are actually good.

however the bridge rectifier is shorted.
 
Well after doing some research these test differently than normal outputs. I believe these are actually good.

however the bridge rectifier is shorted.
They are an FET with a gate, source and drain. Of course they test differently than a BJT with Base, Collector and Emitter, they are a different device. They're easy to test to see if they turn on, and off. But a shorted Bridge rectifier certainly will give you lots of trouble. They're a 25 AMP and it takes a lot to toast one. I'd be trying to find out WHY it toasted before just tossing another one in. Make sure the damper capacitor is good too. If it's bad, you'll toast the new one in short order because it will "ring" (not audibly). It's the ceramic disc that goes across the 2 AC terminals.
 
Got the new bridge rectifier and installed it.
On the DBT it powers up but the build is lit, but not at full brightness.

Is this one of those amps you cant power up on a dbt?
 
Do as you did on the other amp and see if you can disconnect the amp boards and get the power supply up and running first. Then try one channel at a time and see if they are equal brightness.
 
Last edited:
You adjust P2, and I'm guessing... while you measure voltage across R33. Should be somewhere from .4 to .75V
No, you pull the B+ fuse for each channel and directly measure the current with a meter set to Amps (first), then if it is lower than the mA fuse rating in your meter, switch to mA configuration for final adjustments. Clip leads are a MUST for this procedure because of where the fuse holders are located. I took some old BLOWN fuses and soldered L-shaped leads to them just for this purpose. Plus I keep spare fuses on hand for all my meters, especially the expensive :rolleyes: Fluke fuses.
 
Got the new bridge rectifier and installed it.
On the DBT it powers up but the build is lit, but not at full brightness.

Is this one of those amps you cant power up on a dbt?
What wattage bulb? A 60w will glow pretty good since the BIAS current is (factory spec) at 275 mA per channel. Most people bump it up to over 300 mA, but the outputs run HOT.
 
No, you pull the B+ fuse for each channel and directly measure the current with a meter set to Amps (first), then if it is lower than the mA fuse rating in your meter, switch to mA configuration for final adjustments. Clip leads are a MUST for this procedure because of where the fuse holders are located. I took some old BLOWN fuses and soldered L-shaped leads to them just for this purpose. Plus I keep spare fuses on hand for all my meters, especially the expensive :rolleyes: Fluke fuses.
Well, it was a solid guess. There are other amps that use that same output design and are set that way, but I would say the amperage method would be more accurate since MOSFET gate-source voltages can vary slightly.
 
How do I adjust the bias?
You need a meter that will measure AMPS (current) and know how to set it up to read it. Most require switching leads around to configure them. Take note of the (fused) ports on the meter because it is easy to blow the fuses internal to the meter. If that happens, you're "stuck" until you replace the fuse(s). Why is this? Well...
You remove the B+ fuse from whichever amp you are adjusting. (I do both at the same time). Your meter becomes the fuse and that is why you need to be careful about the internal fuse(s) of your meter. Clip your leads across the fuse clips (you do have clip leads, right?) with the black lead towards the big filter capacitors. Although it really doesn't matter, just read the numbers. A - (negative sign) means nothing here. I start with the AMPS configuration to be sure I don't blow the mA fuse. Then if all is well, switch to the mA configuration. If on the DBT, adjust BIAS to around 200 mA. Then on direct AC power, finish adjusting to 275 Ma to be at factory spec. I run mine at 300 mA and all is well.
 
Well, it was a solid guess. There are other amps that use that same output design and are set that way, but I would say the amperage method would be more accurate since MOSFET gate-source voltages can vary slightly.
It's all about access here. The fuses are the only "convenient" way to do it.
 
Back
Top Bottom