• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Hearing Aids, general discussion

What?

I'm having a hearing test done tomorrow at Costco for the heck of it. I don't think I have any issue yet but thought it would be good to know where I'm at at age 53.

My dad got hearing aids this past year thank God.
What??
Speak up! Stop mumbling and look at me when you talk!!
 
I got hearing aids a couple of years ago. I mostly wear them to listen to music. They have four settings: normal, restaurant, music and music 2. My hearing craps out between 5kz and 6kz, so I had the doc program another music program that really cranks up the treble. I don't know if it actually extends my high frequency hearing but it allows cymbals to have more sparkle and the music to have more "air", as the audiophiles say.
 
I wear one Widex 440 hearing aid to compensate for a pretty large drop at 4 khz. Then hearing is normal up to the 8 khz limit of the hearing test. Likely my top end is normal for a 63 year old male...last time I checked it was like at 12 or 13 with those on-line tests. Helps with female voices in crowds and restaurants. Wife says that I don’t have the volume as high in the mancave as used to have before wearing it. Has 3 settings, one normal, one for music, then one for tinnitus which I have in right ear ...light “zen” tones to drown out the buzz. I don’t use the music setting very often...some albums sound a little shrill sometimes.
 
I can simply turn off my hearing aids so I don't have to hear so much


People used to bend my granddad's ear with their assorted life problems. They always said he was such a good listener. What they didn't know is that when he'd reach up to scratch his ear, he was shutting the hearing aid off so he didn't really have to listen to them.
 
I worked on fighter jets (Phantoms, mostly, in USAF, I worked on ejection seats). LOUD! for 4 yrs, then worked on/around LOUD heavy equipment. Almost completely deaf in left ear. Right not much better. Gone to ear specialists dozens of times. End result, 'if I stick anything in my ears, they will get infected.' So, no hearing aids. (should add, I have allus been prone to ear infections, since 4 yrs old)
-c-
 
Hearing test yesterday. Right is good. Left is moderate loss. He said try these. I could hear the difference. $7000.
Now researching hearing amps. $200-$400 per ear. Loads of good reviews. I don't need perfect. Just want better. I'll keep looking. Wife hasn't lost it with me...yet.
 
At 71 years old, I've lost the high end of my hearing (way too many Grateful Dead and Stones concerts in my immortal youth). An audiologist has recommended I get bilateral hearing aids. I'm clueless as to what to look for or even start the process without taking a wrong turn based on one recommendation. I also want to continue a lifelong habit of critical listening if possible. Thoughts and experiences would be appreciated.
 
Start your journey by going here:https://www.truhearing.com/
You will not find a better priced hearing aid than at Truhearing. They carry every imaginable aid there is. I was looking at $5000-7000.00 hearing aids before I found Truhearing. With my aids, I have 4 music settings programmed into them..unbelievable what they do. Good luck on your journey.
 
I'm using Phonak Audeo M90 Marvels, generally excellent and can couple to most Bluetooth link-ups, which is wonderful for 2 way phone calls.
 
My wife has had degenerative hearing loss since around age thirteen and uses Oticons. Just last week we visited her audiologist for a software upgrade and tune-up - well worth the trip too.
She won't admit it but I suspect she uses the Bluetooth feature to tune me out when I go on one of my many typical rants.:rant:
Matter of fact I'm sure she does.
 
I heard from someone that Resound includes batteries for life.

The problem with music is finding someone that can talk about things like frequency response rather than just tallying up how many words you missed in a speech test.
 
A friend of mine uses hearing aids with remote control volume and if I can ever find the frequency they work on, he just might hear some things he has never heard before! :D
 
I heard from someone that Resound includes batteries for life.

The problem with music is finding someone that can talk about things like frequency response rather than just tallying up how many words you missed in a speech test.
Resound Lynx-2 was good with music, but the Bluetooth only works with Apple I-stuff. Phonak works with Android and others. Using it regularly halves power cell service time on these things.
I get power cells thru the VA so don't know about that thing with ReSound, that would help regular users with the Bluetooth.
 
Thanks for all the comments. I've done some calling around and an audiologist we know says she "hears" good things about Costco. So I'm going to start there. I'll post results if any interest out there.
 
There are lots of good hearing aids out there. I chose the Starkey brand because of its music abilities. I was very concerned about getting hearing aids because I felt it would change what I was hearing. IT DID. At first it was a bit harsh, but that was because I was so used to hearing things without the highs. It only took about a week for things to settle in. Now I can't listen to my system without my aids on. I still can do critical listening, and I am able to hear much better and enjoy the family more also.
ADVICE: Look for an aid that has the biggest frequency range, especially in the highs. Not perfect, but way better than what you can do without the aids. IMHO
 
Also: Don't pay Audiologist prices. There are lots of options online for better pricing. Find a brand or aid you like, then look for best pricing on that model. That's what I did. My aids were 6400 before checking around. I bought them for 4,000. The center I chose is staffed by a lot of people that actually wear hearing aids. The owner says it just makes sense to have people that wear the aids to work with you. IMHO
 
I ordered a pair of Kirkland Phonak behind the ear ones with Bluetooth and adjustable listening profiles. They sound great. The guy who fitted them at Costco is a Deadhead who understood my critical listening needs since he listens the same way I do. He also has Van Alstine equipment in his home and we had a great time discussing audio equipment. Serendipity at work, I guess.
 
I ordered a pair of Kirkland Phonak behind the ear ones with Bluetooth and adjustable listening profiles. They sound great. The guy who fitted them at Costco is a Deadhead who understood my critical listening needs since he listens the same way I do. He also has Van Alstine equipment in his home and we had a great time discussing audio equipment. Serendipity at work, I guess.
Probably the best you could have done. Congratulations!!!
 
Some of the Bluetooth adaptable aids do not sound great while using the wireless bluetooth.

When you don't wear aids and have to turn up the music and TV so loud that your loved ones, or neighbors complain, it might be time to check out some hearing aids.

They have come a long way, getting better and better. Many audiologists will offer free, two week trials with various brands.
Then, listen to ur stereo with ur fave discs to decide.

Many aids can restore your sense of 3D hearing, as well as help tune out the tinnitus some of us suffer with.

Don't be in a rush to decide on which brand. Any good audiologist will offer trials and varying price budgets. Since these are tiny, sometimes fragile devices which do encounter probs, consider springing for the "bumper to bumper" warranty, which includes loaners and insurance.

The various modes or programs available by mechanical or online switches, make aids very versatile for any, real life listening situation...
 
Back
Top Bottom