• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Hearing Aids, general discussion

Some of the Bluetooth adaptable aids do not sound great while using the wireless bluetooth.

When you don't wear aids and have to turn up the music and TV so loud that your loved ones, or neighbors complain, it might be time to check out some hearing aids.

They have come a long way, getting better and better. Many audiologists will offer free, two week trials with various brands.
Then, listen to ur stereo with ur fave discs to decide.

Many aids can restore your sense of 3D hearing, as well as help tune out the tinnitus some of us suffer with.

Don't be in a rush to decide on which brand. Any good audiologist will offer trials and varying price budgets. Since these are tiny, sometimes fragile devices which do encounter probs, consider springing for the "bumper to bumper" warranty, which includes loaners and insurance.

The various modes or programs available by mechanical or online switches, make aids very versatile for any, real life listening situation...
https://davidsonhearingaids.com/a-marvellous-week-with-the-new-phonak-marvel/
 
Well, If your going to lose your hearing, Dead and Stones concerts are an enjoyable route to that end. I remember going to live punk rock performances in the late 70s in small bars in Boston. My friend could scream in my ear and I still couldn't hear him. Luckily, I didn't do it too often. Good luck.
 
My 25 year old Oticons are shot and the cat chewed up the working one when I forgot to put it back in its case at night. Do I correctly understand that if congress get's off their political butts, and passes a bill pertaining to hearing aids, 2021 may find more competition and lower prices? Too good to be true?

What type of ear tubes/"molds" come with trial aids - just a foam earpiece?

Are there any less expensive hearing "boosters", like hunters may use, that might be worth checking out?
 
20201204_125627.jpg
My 25 year old Oticons are shot and the cat chewed up the working one when I forgot to put it back in its case at night. Do I correctly understand that if congress get's off their political butts, and passes a bill pertaining to hearing aids, 2021 may find more competition and lower prices? Too good to be true?

What type of ear tubes/"molds" come with trial aids - just a foam earpiece?

Are there any less expensive hearing "boosters", like hunters may use, that might be worth checking out?
My son-in-law recently gave me a new pair of Starkey SoundGear protection plugs. I'd never seen them before and tried them because they attenuate noise above about 85 db and amplify higher frequencies at the same time. They're for shooting, nailing, etc. They're remarkable to me because my hearing loss is in higher hz. Using them prompted me to think seriously about true hearing aids. I've not tried boosters on the advice of a friend who is an audiologist, although she didn't advise against them. The phonaks I've ordered are open ear, so there is no seal, no molds necessary, etc.

I'm not holding my breath on anything congress promises any more than anything significant will happen on drug prices. I buy my drugs in Canada at about a 90% discount. Big Pharma lobbyists have Congress by the balls.
 
Last edited:
Update: picked up the Phonaks from Costco this morning. First impressions are really stunning, the highs are back. Voices are crystal clear. I put on an lp that I've been bummed about because I lacked it's former clarity. Roxy Music Avalon. It's a well engineered recording and has wide ranging tones, with a female background vocal that I particularly liked. It now sounds like I remember it from 20 years ago.

Time will tell, but I'm extremely impressed. I can also answer my phone with them and stream via Bluetooth, and there's an app for customizing output.

Pretty amazing stuff.
 
I ordered a pair of Kirkland Phonak behind the ear ones with Bluetooth and adjustable listening profiles. They sound great. The guy who fitted them at Costco is a Deadhead who understood my critical listening needs since he listens the same way I do. He also has Van Alstine equipment in his home and we had a great time discussing audio equipment. Serendipity at work, I guess.
That's what I use. I love 'em. I originally got them strictly for meetings at work but have discovered they actually enhance the hi-fi listening experience when not using headphones.
 
Update: picked up the Phonaks from Costco this morning. First impressions are really stunning, the highs are back. Voices are crystal clear. I put on an lp that I've been bummed about because I lacked it's former clarity. Roxy Music Avalon. It's a well engineered recording and has wide ranging tones, with a female background vocal that I particularly liked. It now sounds like I remember it from 20 years ago.

Time will tell, but I'm extremely impressed. I can also answer my phone with them and stream via Bluetooth, and there's an app for customizing output.

Pretty amazing stuff.
That's what I'm using.
:beerchug:
 
With all the threads about loss of hearing and hearing aids this struck me as appropriate for AK.

img.php
 
I'll be going back in to the audiologist in a few weeks for a follow-up exam and possible adjustments to my new Phonak Audeo's. While they're quite superior to my old analog aids, I'm hoping an adjustment will improve their ability to process music.

They're supposed to automatically detect music and enter a "music" mode. Unfortunately, they regularly cycle from decent, full-range reproduction, to noise reduction muting and back to better musical sound again. These are fairly sophisticated 24 channel aids, so I'm hoping it's just a case of fine-tuning.

Any similar experiences or advice? Thanks.
 
Thanks Pio, but I don't use a smartphone. However, I may acquire an unused one that might allow me to adjust certain features, where I can "lock-in" the music mode.
 
Thanks Pio, but I don't use a smartphone. However, I may acquire an unused one that might allow me to adjust certain features, where I can "lock-in" the music mode.
Ask your audiologist to provide a selectable on-demand music mode.
I use mine to take phone calls from my android phone, I hear much better thru both ears for intelligibility that way. It uses Bluetooth to link and notifications affect the mode when Bluetooth is enabled on the phone.
 
Hi, Unfortunately it comes to many off use. Time to consider Hearing Aids, for me at least. I thought I had found the in the new Sony range, BUT NO GOOD, the cheaper model does not have re-chargeable batteries. The more expensive ones do, but they only link to I-Phones. Which to me is crazy, save money on self calibrating head-phone only to pay 3 x the price for a phone to work with them. Also what about their own range of smart phones they will not work with them

So while we await their STUPID marketing section to catch on. Does anyone know of similar self calibrating/fitting hearing aids that will work with Andriod phone.

Also perhaps we should have a Audiophile Hearing Aid Section, Mr Administrator.?

Cheers
 
Back
Top Bottom