• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Help identify Acoustic Research Speakers

kidadam

New Member
Hey, wondering if someone can help me identify these speakers.

I thought they could be AR4-xa but the wood trim around the grill is different. Any ideas?

$_591.JPG $_593.JPG $_59.JPG
 
Register to hide this ad
The driver configuration and back plate/terminals/attenuation switch all look correct for 4xa, but I've never seen that cabinet. I'm sure some of the real AR experts will weigh in soon.
 
AR-6 1970 - 1976

8" Woofer
1.25" Cone Tweeter

48-20k ± 2.5db

86 db

Crossover Frequency 1800hz

20-100 w

8 ohms

12x19.5x7

20.0 lbs

Retail $72-81.00
 
AR6 seems to be a close match. I think they sound great, the stage is really impressive. I may pick up a Scott 222d to run them.
 
Seems like we have a winner! I have an older set of AR6's, with Zobel on the woofer. I think they are exceptionally good for their size and era. Low frequency performance is astounding for such a small box.
 
Thanks, everyone!

I was originally selling for a relative but after demoing I decided to build another stereo for the attic or maybe cottage.
 
Seems like we have a winner! I have an older set of AR6's, with Zobel on the woofer. I think they are exceptionally good for their size and era. Low frequency performance is astounding for such a small box.

I have those too. They also have a different woofer than the later run which used the 'standard' 8" woofer. The older models with the inductor on the woofer circuit have a woofer where the magnets surround the voice coil for a longer throw. Those go as deep in the bass as the AR 10" woofer. The AR 6 in the first pics may be a European model. The cabinets were a bit different. The oldest AR 6's have variable pots. The newer ones with the standard woofer have toggle switches.
 
Back
Top Bottom