• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

HH Scott Owners Thread

Hi all,

I just acquired an LK -150 amp along with a LC -21 preamp. Very nice sounding combination.

Was lucky enough to find one in great shape with almost all original tubes....( I had to replace one rectifier tube ).

Received a LT 110 tuner as well. Have not been a able to get that going yet though.

Both pre and tuner have the brown face and both have nice original cabinets.

Is there a way to run a subwoofer with this amp / preamp combo? If so, I'd love to know how.

I'm new to these pieces and a bit a reluctant to eff something up by blindly trying things.

Thanks - Jeff
 
wow! two beautiful chocolate faced beauties! congratulations on the score :)

Does the LK-150 have a center channel out? My LK-72 does and I sometimes use it for a sub.

-Steve
 
wow! two beautiful chocolate faced beauties! congratulations on the score :)

Does the LK-150 have a center channel out? My LK-72 does and I sometimes use it for a sub.

-Steve

Ill have to look for that. My 500b has that and i plug a sub into it with good results.

I should have thought of that...thanks for "jump starting" my lazy brain...lol.
 
Just an FYI- the silk screening rubs off easily. Yours looks great. May I suggest to be extra diligent with the power/volume knob to make sure your fingers don’t rub the face when turning on or adjusting the volume, causing the numbers to wear away.
Has anyone been able to match that color and do touch up of the wear areas?
 
Last edited:
Has anyone been able to match that color and do touch op of the wear areas?
Yes, with Varathane repair markers for touching up wood. One of the browns is very close. I used it for a couple minor scratches and dings. Not a perfect color match, but definitely looks better. The marker package comes with 6 color markers. I think the Mahogany color was the closest match.
 
I have many HH Scott factory cabinets. What I have found is that the veneer will easily pull up/off of the bottom of the sides. Sharp edges, you catch it and it just pulls off. The glue is 50-60 years old. I have several that have that condition, having being damaged before I got it. One can "test" the veneer very carefully by touching/pulling ever so gently on it at the bottom of the sides, to see if it is loose.

As for a fix, you can buy some walnut veneer in sheets and if you feel adventuresome, carefully slice a similar looking grain to size, glue it in and then very carefully block sand that area of the cabinet. Follow up with you favorite finish, probably linseed oil. (Remember, it was called... "Oiled Walnut!" :D)
 
Hi all,

I just acquired an LK -150 amp along with a LC -21 preamp. Very nice sounding combination.

Was lucky enough to find one in great shape with almost all original tubes....( I had to replace one rectifier tube ).

Received a LT 110 tuner as well. Have not been a able to get that going yet though.

Both pre and tuner have the brown face and both have nice original cabinets.

Is there a way to run a subwoofer with this amp / preamp combo? If so, I'd love to know how.

I'm new to these pieces and a bit a reluctant to eff something up by blindly trying things.

Thanks - Jeff


I actually have 2 LK-150s! Just recently got the second one, I couldn't resist since I loved the first one so much. They are fantastic units, very worthy of a great tube set. Also have a 130 preamp that is terrific. Enjoy!
 
I purchased a HH Scott 380 receiver I don’t know much about the Scott tube receivers other than the tube ones are very good.The 340B is very similar I have read. There is very little information on this model which was produced in 1965.
The 380 I bought was checked out and cleaned a 1 1/2Yr ago.It is very clean . Can anybody tell me if using NOS stock tubes in the tuner section would make a big difference. I know my unit has JJ Tesla’s.
Any feed back would be appreciated on the 380.
 

Attachments

  • 6FDDFBD0-A68F-4A22-B367-3E00DE366969.jpeg
    6FDDFBD0-A68F-4A22-B367-3E00DE366969.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 33
  • BE345954-CAB4-4712-89A2-D1C258C36EB8.jpeg
    BE345954-CAB4-4712-89A2-D1C258C36EB8.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 03819384-32C2-4460-B20C-E8EB2E39A56F.jpeg
    03819384-32C2-4460-B20C-E8EB2E39A56F.jpeg
    138.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 99D6F5B2-49D3-43A9-89AB-41212CE2CE8D.jpeg
    99D6F5B2-49D3-43A9-89AB-41212CE2CE8D.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
I just found a thread on these and it said they are a rare bird. The owner said he had the gold colored rounds that go on the knobs so I’m happy.
 
Last edited:
I have many HH Scott factory cabinets. What I have found is that the veneer will easily pull up/off of the bottom of the sides. Sharp edges, you catch it and it just pulls off. The glue is 50-60 years old. I have several that have that condition, having being damaged before I got it. One can "test" the veneer very carefully by touching/pulling ever so gently on it at the bottom of the sides, to see if it is loose.

As for a fix, you can buy some walnut veneer in sheets and if you feel adventuresome, carefully slice a similar looking grain to size, glue it in and then very carefully block sand that area of the cabinet. Follow up with you favorite finish, probably linseed oil. (Remember, it was called... "Oiled Walnut!" :D)
Yes, that’s what mine is like. A few pieces that have loosened and split but are still attached, and a couple of pieces that have broken off. I imagine that the heat at the back of the unit has a lot to do with the veneer glue giving up the ghost.

I’ve read through some speaker restoration threads where guys have talked about patching the veneers like you describe. Maybe I’ll give that a go at some point.
 
Yes, that’s what mine is like. A few pieces that have loosened and split but are still attached, and a couple of pieces that have broken off. I imagine that the heat at the back of the unit has a lot to do with the veneer glue giving up the ghost.

I’ve read through some speaker restoration threads where guys have talked about patching the veneers like you describe. Maybe I’ll give that a go at some point.
I’ve done dozens of this type of repair. The best results are done with vintage veneer harvested from old stripped speakers, or possibly old furniture. The key is the old veneers will have similar oxidation, and color hues once the finishing oil is applied. If done correctly, the repairs will be virtually invisible.
Glenn
 
Back
Top Bottom