• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Hi, I'm Tom and I'm a solderholic.

tom1356

Super Member
The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.
Anyone else pulse race looking at this picture?:smoke:
 

Attachments

  • nassau 009.jpg
    nassau 009.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 164
Register to hide this ad
Steve Ciarcia was fond of saying "solder is my favorite programming language." He's the founder of Circuit Cellar magazine.
 
35 pounds of lead? Cool. I like all the little bits n' pieces that go with it to make an amp, too... :)
 
Since I see spools of wire solder, and solder paste every day, and have for the last 20 odd years, it doesn't do that much for me any more.:no: :D
 
I had some plumbing to do last year and made the mistake of trying out the new lead free solder. Bad bad move; I also now have several pounds of the 60-40 before it's gone forever because of the lead content. Nothing makes the air turn blue around here quite like turning on the water after properly fixing a leak only to have water squirt in your face.
 
Last edited:
old stuff

I have use for the old acid core and bought a pile before it is no longer available in "lead". That lead free crap sucks.
 
I had some plumbing to do last year and made the mistake of trying out the new lead free solder. Bad bad move; I also now have several pounds of the 60-40 before it's gone forever because of the lead content. Nothing makes the air turn blue around here quite like turning on the water after properly fixing a leak only to have water squirt in your face.

Isn't the use of leaded solder in plumbing banned in your State like most
everywhere else? Just curious...

Having said that, 'Real electronics contains lead!'...

Regards.
 
Solder addicts! How I've heard it all!! LOL :>)

I do have a very serious solder question: What solder is best for speaker applications, like soldering speaker wires and crossovers for 1970 speakers???

Thanks in advance!
 
Lead free solder is the work of the devil...the tree hugging devil no less.

That stuff sucks unbelievably bad. It was a stupid idea from the E.U.

It sucks to work with, and due to its much higher melting point, puts more heat stress on electronic components.
 
Let me know when you need a REAL fix............

solder.jpg
 
I don't think that the availability of lead is being threatened at present. Just
go to any automotive scrap yard and pick a few used batteries... The American
physicist E. O. Lawrence (1901-1958) did just that when he was building his
first particle accelerators in the thirties and needed to build large radiation shields.
 
Isn't the use of leaded solder in plumbing banned in your State like most
everywhere else? Just curious...

Having said that, 'Real electronics contains lead!'...

Regards.

Probably is and that's why the lead free crap solder. Ever see the inside of an older copper water pipe? Lead should be the least of the worries.
 
Back
Top Bottom