• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Houses of the Holy - Backstory to the Famous Cover

human1138

Kwisatz Haderach
Subscriber
housesoftheholy.jpg


The Dangerous Minds blog has an article about the famous photo shoot by the design team Hipgnosis.

Houses of the Holy
 
Register to hide this ad
I was in Northern Ireland on business years ago and my hosts arranged a visit to the Giants Causeway. Houses of the Holy is one of my top few albums ever, but I had no idea I was on my way to the cover shoot location. Once I got down to the rocks and realized where I was standing, I was absolutely dumbfounded. The element of surprise played a big part. Cool cover from a cool designer working in a cool era. Thanks for the link.
 
I never thought too much about it, but I guess I always assumed that was a painting and not a photo of real children in a real place.

I have to say that Houses of the Holy is probably my favorite Zeppelin album.
 
Maybe the best album cover ever. Hipgnosis was all over the place back in the day. What a great design firm.
 
I love the album but the cover art is very strange. Oddly enough, when I listen to the music it seems to have an orange tinge to it like the cover.
 
I once heard a rumor that the kids in the picture were Robert Plant's. They do resemble them when I compared them in their appearance in the movie "The Song Remains the Same" at the beginning.

Hmmmmmmmm.....go figure:scratch2:!!!!!!
 
Those are some really good pics. I bought this album when it came out. I loved it but, my party friends liked other stuff. So it surrived my party days. I'm glad, I listen to it now and it's still clean.
Mark
 
Thanks for posting the article Human1138. I think the hexagonal pillars are basalt.
There's something similar called "the Devils postpile" or something along those lines, here in the states.
Looked it up- it's columnar basalt. "Devils postpile National Monument" in CA.
 
Great story. I bought this record when it first came out. It was borrowed permanently by a guest at a college party. Still looking for a decent replacement at a decent price.

I stared at the cover art a lot and figured that was a ficticous place. I always surmised it was the same two children in the picture.

Now I want to hear The Rain Song. :yes:
 
Thanks for posting the article Human1138. I think the hexagonal pillars are basalt.
There's something similar called "the Devils postpile" or something along those lines, here in the states.
Looked it up- it's columnar basalt. "Devils postpile National Monument" in CA.

There's also a mini version of the same thing in Missouri called the Devil's Honeycomb.
 
Back
Top Bottom