• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

How good...or not is this TT?

3kitty

Super Member
JVC - QL-Y5F with a Shure M95HE

- one owner, fully operational

Good, really good....troublesome?

Thanks for your thoughts!



 
Register to hide this ad
Serious table and serious cart + stylus.

Buddy has one with some weird tracking issue. I was gonna buy it, but got worried about unobtainium parts.

Solid tt. I'd get it if it wasn't too much.
 
Are you looking at the whole locally advertised package that includes that table, or thinking of making an offer just on the table? I wouldn't mind the amp... but I think the asking price is a little high (don't want to bump to $ and sense mind you).
 
Pretty decent TT I have a JVC/Victor a little higher up, as to a servo controlled arm not my cup of tea.
 
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Sony/Denon/JVC servo tonearms. They work like a champ. I own four TT's with them. Don't know what the seller is asking, but if reasonable buy it. If you don't like it then Ebay prices on the Rosewood Japanese TT's is at a all time high and you can unload it easily.
 
That turntable in working order is better than most newly manufactured belt drive TTs costing thousands of dollars today.
 
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Sony/Denon/JVC servo tonearms. They work like a champ. I own four TT's with them. Don't know what the seller is asking, but if reasonable buy it. If you don't like it then Ebay prices on the Rosewood Japanese TT's is at a all time high and you can unload it easily.

Yep couldn't agree more - have a Denon deck and love it (including the arm)!!

----------------------

No MacNoob - I did ask if he would be willing to part out the table separately but he said no so I have taken a run at the whole package - even though the TT is all I am interested in.

He has my offer - I doubt I'll get it! He is asking far more then I believe it is worth - at least to me!

Thanks for the feedback all!!
 
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Sony/Denon/JVC servo tonearms. They work like a champ. I own four TT's with them. Don't know what the seller is asking, but if reasonable buy it. If you don't like it then Ebay prices on the Rosewood Japanese TT's is at a all time high and you can unload it easily.

+1 :yes:

I've owned six servo arm JVC's, all worked great.

Love the servo arms!

Jon
 
I have a QL-Y5F and highly recommend it.

Yes if the servo arm control electronics go, then it is a boat anchor, but quite a few of us here are happily using electronic servo arm turntables without any issues.

The arm is highish midmass, but can be adjusted downwards in mass by using lighter headshells and counterweights (headshell mount is standard bayonet, and the counterweight is the same thread size as technics SL1200mk2 series - so options are easy to find)

It does have one weakness - the plinth tends to resonate/vibrate.... if you seek out the threads about the QL-Y5F you will find several where people have described resolving vibration issues (including mine)

I replaced the feet with economical and damping rubbery feet - including a fifth one in the middle, which damped the tendency of the underside baseboard of acting as a large drumskin...
I also filled the body of the plinth with 3kg of plasticine.

Also of note, this is NOT a suspended table, so you do need it to sit on an isolated/isolating platform....

With regards to performance - this is a very serious table, and very versatile - you can put just about any cartridge on it and have it work well...

I have a very high compliance ADC SuperXLM which normally would be matched with a very low mass arm, but with the servo damping on the QL-Y5F it sings beautifully. (I also set it up with the lowest possible mass headshell and CW when running that cartridge)

But I also run Benz, Sony and Dynavector MC's on it as well as a wide range of high compliance MM/MI's.

Great Table!

Bye for now

David
 
Very nice table in what appears to be lovely condition.
I've got its big brother, the QL-Y66f and it will not leave here during my lifetime.
You can mount just about any cartridge on it without worry about compliance.
The electronic damping takes care of it all.
I just mounted a Dynavector Te Kaitora on my JVC and it is awesome.

A well engineered piece from a company that had the engineering might to do it.

Good luck!

Al. Wise
 
I have a QL-Y55F and truly enjoy it. I know at some point the prices get ridiculous, but they are indeed fine machines. Mine is not going anywhere anytime soon.

7a7u8aju.jpg

yne4yjym.jpg
 
One of my favorite series of Japanese made DD automatics made. Similar in technology to the Sony Biotracer and the Denon servo arms (all 3 companies DD turntables shared technology)
 
Check the arm very carefully. If all is good, it is an exceptional table.
This.^^

I liked mine so much I got the Denon equivalent to run side by side. It was a joint R&D and the Denon is a little smaller.

They will take a seriously good cart too.
 
Back
Top Bottom