• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

How long has it been since you bought a piece of gear?

similost

Rockin and Rollin....
I've noticed there seem to be several different kinds of people here on the forums.

Those that buy up every piece of gear they see. The ones that only buy a certain piece when they find it. Others who that buy if the opportunity presents itself for an upgrade, and then all the others in between.

I was buying constantly, but now I've gotten to where I am not buying anything because I am so happy with where I am at. I am however looking for one particular amp, and am just waiting to find one at a reasonable price. However, I seldom find any for sale, much less reasonable.

Once I have that amp, I'm going to be very hard pressed to buy anything for a long while because I am just so pleased with everything.

As best I can remember, it's now been about 6 months since I've bought any new pieces for my system. How long has it been for you, and how would you classify your buying habits?
 
Register to hide this ad
Those that buy up every piece of gear they see. The ones that only buy a certain piece when they find it. Others who that buy if the opportunity presents itself for an upgrade, and then all the others in between.

Well... I've only been at this a short time but probably fall into the buy when a good opportunity presents for an upgrade, now that I have the basic system.

I got lucky with the two receivers given me, and then bought the Concept 2.5, Dual 622 one owner, and the Teac 7010 one owner (that needs lots of TLC). I am tempted to buy up lots of stuff and will probably pick up the occasional receiver that comes up cheap.

But really I am on the eventual upgrade path when a better TT and receiver (or separates) are impossible to pass up. Meanwhile I am going overboard with LP purchases.

I guess my thought is, I'd rather see the gear get used than sit on my shelf -- which is a good tactic because I tend to hoard/collect. But I wouldn't mind rotating through equipment occasionally. I need to stop buying LPs until I can get them all cleaned. :)

Michael
 
Just fine tuning now and working on my album collection. I am sure at some point I will realize I have too many albums and start disposing of the ones that are more or less space eaters.
 
I have a sort of binge and purge behavior when it comes to gear purchases. When i finally put together something I like, I listen and enjoy but get ancy after a while. I have a backlog of gear on my To Buy or Audition list. If something on it comes up for grabs and the noobs aren't locking horns over it, I'm pretty likely to buy it. After a while, like shimniok, I feel the need to move the accumulated hoard and decide to liquidate: a couple of ebay auctions for the most collectible, a few givaways and our annual yard sale (biannual the last couple of years). I keep the stuff that makes me the happiest. Then the boards are cleared to start all over again.
 
I hadn't bought anything for over a year and then found a bunch of stuff a few months ago that I couldn't pass up. I think I am done for a long while and have been focusing on building back my music collection.
 
I didn't say.. but yes, I am always buying albums though. I will buy reels too if I find them, but not often enough.
 
I would be in the thining herd stage now after I realized how much junk I had acquired without much thought behind it. However I still look for good deals, just a lot more discerning now having realized a little more research and willingness to listen to what others have to say can equate to a huge improvement in sound for not a lot of money.
 
Well, I have gone from buying anything I see cheap, to being more selective. Having said that, "Hi, I'm Steve, and its been 2 weeks since my last gear purchase" :D
 
Forgot to answer the question, I just got new speakers yesterday and a new amp is in the mail, on its way to me, as of this morning...
 
About a month ago, found a Technics SL-1600mkII at the Salvation Army thrift store, bought for $25. Getting near the end of the resto now which included repainting, cleaning, fabricating parts, etc.

I am also a chronic hoarder/restorer and usually buy another piece of gear every month or two. But rarely do these pieces end up in my main system. I just buy most of them for the fun/pleasure of restoring them and then have intentions of re-selling them. Funny though, I don't get around to selling much of them, they are just piling up in my garage...:scratch2:
 
My last several acquisitions have been free - either Freecycle or e-scrap rescue. Last thing I actually bought was a mini-system stack probably 2 months ago. Haven't even fired it up yet - waiting for cold weather to force me inside.
 
if its under 50$ and looks interesting I have a hard time saying no, but I try to stick to thrifts and the like for better deals, just got a receiver and a turntable for 16$ at good will, those types of deals I just cant refuse.
 
It has been about two months since my last purchase. I am going in the morning to a garage sale, in hopes of finding a nice TT for hopefully under $50. My area does not offer a lot of the good stuff, so I have to be patient.

Rome
 
I used to buy everything I could find, which was a lot of stuff. My place filled up and now it looks like a museum. It's a cool looking museum, but it had gotten a bit crazy and I had to give away a bunch of things and pick and choose what I wanted to keep around (mostly a lot of mediocre speakers went away. My receiver collection takes up less space.)

So now I buy less things, but better things. I still pick up stuff that is super cheap if it is nice and I can give it to somebody, just to rescue it from being destroyed at a Salvation Army or whatever.
 
I am picky nowadays.

Just got a cool FM transmitter from RichPA to broadcast sound to my garage from my squeezebox.

Evan
 
Back
Top Bottom