• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

How long has it been since you bought a piece of gear?

Not even 24 hours. I committed to building the AK Collaborative Indignia speakers last night, and purchased two Dynaco MKIII amps a few days before. This is a sickness.

Two Dynaco MKIII amps isn't a sickness, that's just the gods of temptation playing unfairly.
 
If I stumbled on a pair of MK III's at a decent price tonight, I'd buy them too. Like I said, some things you just can't pass up, but I wouldn't go looking for a pair...
 
Except for phono cartridges (which I like to change about annually), I don't think I buy all that often. I used the same Linn Sara speakers and Linn LK1/LK2 pre-amp/power amp combination for almost 20 years. The LP12 turntable I bought in 1985 was sold to help fund the purchase of a new Cirkus model LP12 in 1993, along with an Ittok LVIII tonearm, both of which I'm still using. I did buy a Well Tempered Record Player, mostly to see if a Grado cartridge would be happier there. I get no hum, and the cartridge is very well behaved on that lightweight, damped tonearm, but all things considered, I prefer the Linn.

Some of the pieces have started to fail: the LK1 was replaced about 3 years ago, and the speakers and power amp were replaced this past spring. I'm happy with solid state electronics from Audio by Van Alstine and Vandersteen's little 1C's. I'm not planning any further changes for the next 15 years or so.
 
2 hours ago....I just got my dad some Minimus 7s...and I already find myself searching again....

Why oh why aren't scientists working on a cure for this!!!
 
About 2 weeks ago. Except for wanting some more wattage on my mids and highs, I am happy with my system the way it is. I am looking for another PC-2602M Yamaha to fill this position. Hopefully when one does pop it's rare head up, I will have the cash to claim it.
 
I specifically dont drive to garage sales for this very reason. Of course, I can walk to garage sales. That way what I come home with usually is not that obnoxious.

Having said that, a street down the road had a neighborhood garage sale about 2 weeks ago. I found an Optimus CD-5500 for $4 with remote. She asked for $5 but all I had on me was $4. :) Too bad the remote is not for that unit, that's being resold on Ebay.
 
Well, I took the advice from some fellow AKer's in going to estate sales. I found a couple in my area to go to this morning. One was even a multi-family sale.

The first one, a guy said that a TT had been sold a few hours before I got there.
Dang It!

The second sale was the multi-family one & there were no vintage stereo items at all there. My girlfriend bought a medical book for $1. She was so happy, but my heart was broken into a thousand pieces.
Why, o why can't I find some stuff! :tears: My eyes!

Well, I came home empty handed & thought about what the late great actress
Ester Rolle (Florida Evans: Good Times) would say: Damn, Damn!...

I don't use profanity, but this case has brought it out of me.

Pray for me fellow AKer's,
Rome
 
22hrs...

Minty Stax Lambda Pro Signatures w/ SRD-7SBmk2 energizer for $200.
Actually, this is the second time I get this exact combo for that price! Since I don't need two indentical Staxes, I'll probably pass these on to a buddy who's into headphones. If they were a different model, I'd probably keep them... :music:

I also got this cute little Joytech remote control for my Playstation 1 in the mailbox today, but I don't really consider it "gear".
But it will be fun to mod the receiver into the PS1 :)
 
Not to sound to pathetic OR cheap, it's been about a month and a half and then it was only a belt for one of my TT's.
 
I bought a little amplifier that runs off of DC and looks like a modified car amplifier last week. I just had some money in my Paypal account that needed spending, and I thought I might use it for a travel system or put it on a bike to spice up my outdoor exercise.
 
in the last 4 years, with the exception of a set of 6 'small advents', i've pretty much just buying home theater gear. but that's now pretty much where i want it so the last month or so i'm working on improving my audio system.

2 weeks ago i bought a (new to me) 35 years old identical copy of my pioneer qa800a 4 channel amp to replace the one i bought 35 years ago in tokyo. 'new' one is in much better shape both functionally and cosmetically.

my akai 630dss r2r has a slight flutter issue so as soon as i can aquire a good affordable working replacement, i'll be sending 630dss off to ct. for repairs.

also waiting on a nakamichi mr-1 cassette machine bought on fleabay, should be here 10-20 or 21.
 
Back
Top Bottom