• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

How many watts is your Amplifier @8ohms

How Many Watts is Your Amplifier @8 ohms


  • Total voters
    427
I still manage my system with an old model Kenwood KA9100. The rating is at 90WPC RMS and claimed to be stable across the load with independent and coupled power linkage.

Truth be told, in the history of this amplifier now some 30 years plus old, I have managed to peak it at about 55wpc on some rather indulgent speakers. Typically, I maintain a "separate" configuration, using the amp section and trimming it with an equalizer.

I lean towards bass reflex designs that tend to be well damped and very efficient. The amplifier was designed with channel power meters, although I am sure they actually measure voltage and not power out. It would be interesting to put a load meter across the channel A and see what is actually output..:idea:?

Some including me have heard that true power out is elusive in measure since the impedance load will change in even the best of speaker systems. I don't know how true this is....

Anyone else been told this, and if so, fact/legend?
 
In all reality, 20mS tone burst output is far more representative of how well an amplifier can reproduce the dynamic range of music. Couple that with some knowledge of the current capability of a given design and you get a more complete picture of capability. There is a device that can measure both simultaneously - the AudioGraph Power Cube. Google it.

We tend to focus on RMS ratings, which provide a good way to compare amplifiers but don't tell the whole story.
 
The BGW 250D is rated at probably a conservative 100wpc @8-ohms.
The Yammie MX-830 is rated at 170wpc @ 8-ohms
BGW 750D, rated at 360wpc stereo @ 8-ohms. Bridged mono rated at 720 watts @ 8-ohms. These have been measured just a touch over 880 watts @ 8-ohms bridged. If I run two, bridged I think I'll have to add that second dedicated AC line...
 
Last edited:
I recently bought an integrated that I expect to be my last amp purchase. It is rated at 200 watts. More than I need but you never know what speakers the future will bring.
 
Main System
One hundred and fifteen watts per channel .

Home theater
Fifty watts per channel .

Garage.
Thirty three watts per channel.
Thanks for choosing the image from one of my all-time favorite Queen albums as your avatar! Yes, I know they were inspired by a 1950's comic, but every time I see that "robot" I think of "News of the World."
 
My Modest Amps ;)
Pioneer SX-1280 - Power output: 185 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)Frequency response: 5Hz to 80kHz / Total harmonic distortion: 0.03%
Pioneer SX-1080 - Power output: 120 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)Frequency response: 5Hz to 80kHz / Total harmonic distortion: 0.05%
Pioneer SX-780 - Power output: 45 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)Frequency response: 5Hz to 80kHz / Total harmonic distortion: 0.05%
Onkyo M-5140 - Power output: 150 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)Frequency response: 5Hz to 100kHz / Total harmonic distortion: 0.09%
Heathkit AA-121 - Power output: 80 watts (40 w. per channel) Heath Hi-Fi Rating; 98 watts (49 w. per channel) IHFM Music Power Output (0.7% THD
Heathkit W-5M - Power Output: 25 watts. Frequency Response: ± 1 db from 5 to 160,000 cps at 1 watt. Harmonic Distortion: 1% at 25 watts.

Not a Lot of Power But Enough for My Listening Space.......:smoke:


,Mike.

Added an Onkyo M506RS - Power output: 150 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)Frequency response: 1Hz to 100kHz / Total harmonic distortion: 0.002%

,Mike.
 
Back
Top Bottom