• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I Grossly Underpowered my Speakers . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^ which goes back to Operator error, not to little power

Once again, there's no dispute that it was operator error. The FACT remains, the far lower power amp driven into clipping killed tweeters and the higher powered amp driven to even higher output levels didn't.
 
Once again, there's no dispute that it was operator error. The FACT remains, the far lower power amp driven into clipping killed tweeters and the higher powered amp driven to even higher output levels didn't.

And it never would of happened without the op error :dunno:

The amp did not kill the tweeters, you did :D
 
I know that damacman is trying to separate myth from fact.

So, with that in mind, can we all agree too little power is bad (when you want Who level volume) and ridiculous wattage into speakers not designed for them is also bad?

Lots of ugly back and forth here, I feel.
 
Once again, there's no dispute that it was operator error. The FACT remains, the far lower power amp driven into clipping killed tweeters and the higher powered amp driven to even higher output levels didn't.

I'm sure glad that you didn't buy an overbuilt higher end 50 w/ch amp, then you would think the Pioneer killed the tweeters with too much power. ;)

:)
 
I know that damacman is trying to separate myth from fact.

So, with that in mind, can we all agree too little power is bad (when you want Who level volume) and ridiculous wattage into speakers not designed for them is also bad?

Lots of ugly back and forth here, I feel.

Boy no kidding. Unreal....

We have allot of bright people here but I worry when some hear a child giggle and say they just got a
case of brain freeze... They dress them down and explain its ALL THEIR FAULT and Brain Freeze is
when you slurp a really cold drink or eat ice cream too fast you are rapidly changing the temperature
in the back of the throat at the juncture of the internal carotoid artery, which feeds blood to the brain,
and the anterior cerebral artery, which is where brain tissue starts. NOW DONT SOUND SO STUPID
NEXT TIME!!!

Like a guy going into a car dealership and saying he wants to buy a New Subaru Forrester as he and
his family plan to go on a cross country camping trip with their new 30ft Coleman Dutchman camper.

Do you think the sales guy is going to go on some hr long diatribe about the dangers that will impose
to the engine, transmission, frame and the various failure modes. Or will he simply say, nah thats not a
a good idea. Its not powerful enough. Now Id be the annoying buyer who would love to hear the 1 hr diatribe
as Im an inquisitive bastard LOL.

I completely understand what the generalization of "under powered" stems from. And rightfully so in the
UBER generalization it gets used. Is it right all the time. No. But given ALLOT of folks basic level of understanding
that is often seen. I get why and how its used.

If one wants to break things down into the deeper meanings and various failure modes of speakers and
gear thats fine. But I see no reason to belittle why allot of folks use generalized terms and ways of describing things.

No they will not be engineering the next great piece of gear. But thats fine.

Im not gonna correct the next guy I hear say he has a bad case of gut rot. Ill nod and say, that sucks man.
 
Well, I titled the thread to solicit interest. Then, I laid out a satirical example to raise eyebrows and get responses.

But all in good fun in an effort that we may have a good convo about a controversial topic. When the clocks shift a bit, I'm sure John will have a candid, thought provoking, and lively response.
 
Like a guy going into a car dealership and saying he wants to buy a New Subaru Forrester as he and
his family plan to go on a cross country camping trip with their new 30ft Coleman Dutchman camper.

Do you think the sales guy is going to go on some hr long diatribe about the dangers that will impose
to the engine, transmission, frame and the various failure modes. Or will he simply say, nah thats not a
a good idea. Its not powerful enough.

So you are the salesman that sold my grandma a 1 ton, V-10, 4wd, dually, to go to the doctor/store etc. :D
 
So you are the salesman that sold my grandma a 1 ton, V-10, 4wd, dually, to go to the doctor/store etc. :D

Ill never forget back in high school a close friend bought the ugliest Tbird Ive ever seen
from a Grandma who used it as a grocery getter. It was stone mint early 80s I believe.
And a V8 but with how narrow the body was youd never think an 8 was in there.

Really went to show how thats the worst possible use for such a massive engine.
And how it was painfully sparingly used.

Was nothing but problems for him.

Another case of needing the right tool for the job.
 
Well, I titled the thread to solicit interest. Then, I laid out a satirical example to raise eyebrows and get responses.

But all in good fun in an effort that we may have a good convo about a controversial topic.

I hear ya man.

Its just all these dismissive remarks towards people professing how they blew speakers with over burdened amps.

Ill venture to guess 95% of everyone in this thread understands why and what they are talking about in these examples.

Turning things into a childish semantics argument about it really being operator error seems counter productive to me.
Especially when we all know damn well what everyone is trying to convey.

But whatever gets folks rocks off.

When the clocks shift a bit, I'm sure John will have a candid, thought provoking, and lively response.

Couldnt agree more here. John makes his case in amazing ways. Very bright guy with loads of experience.


So in words of Waynes World

GAME ON!!!
 
argument about it really being operator error

I 100% get “it”

But... lets blame an inanimate object controlled past its limits by a human for causing a failure :confused:

Edit: there is always 2 sides and different opinions that are no more wrong or right than the original idea. I guess those are not to be heard :dunno:

:beerchug:
 
Thats where you and me differ.

I never looked at these inanimate objects as human forces. Therefor the notion of blame never entered my head.

Then you obviously have not spent a professional life repairing things (electronics) others have broken like some of us have.

Just another view point... chill man

:bigok:
 
It’s all good, some people on the interweb are sensitive about differing views :bigok:
:bigok::bigok:
 
Tony, I hadn't planned on listening tonight, but need to hear that Benassi track. Wasn't going to do so until I'd read the thread. Daughter stole my tablet to play room escape.

OK, back now, but the Moody Blues have attacked.

Derail, but it's your thread...I've fired my '240, and have one '2600 in.

Bass is strong and tight, once the 'Blues let go, Benassi it is.

Mike
 
I have run my 6" two way bookshelves with amplifiers rated between 3 watts and 600. They still work. Drove those big monos until they ran out of gas on "Couldn't Stand the Weather."
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom