• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ID weird Eiffel Tower looking speaker?

Greg Weed

Giant Sloar
Identifying for a friend who sent me this picture - anyone know what this is? I sure didn't. -Greg
 

Attachments

  • Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 540
Register to hide this ad
Looks like daylight seeping through the grill cloth in the middle.
I don't see car audio carpet like botrytis does, I see grill cloth and some decent binding posts.

I'm intrigued
 
Looks like daylight seeping through the grill cloth in the middle.
I don't see car audio carpet like botrytis does, I see grill cloth and some decent binding posts.

I'm intrigued

I see 5 way binding posts and daylight through 2 places near the middle of the hourglass shape -
so, what do they SOUND like??



I don't need to tell you how my cat would see them!!
 
I saw another picture today, but it was just a closeup of the binding posts. The person who's using them--actually a student of mine (I teach at a community college)--didn't know what that they were binding posts or what to do with them--new to stereo stuff in general. These were given to her by someone to whom they were also given. She said there were two other "small boxes" involved - don't know if they're satellites that are part of the same system or not. She said there is fabric--I guess grill cloth of some sort--all the way around them. The extra piece at the bottom comes off.

I prepared some speaker wire for her and gave her instructions on connecting her new vintage ELAC Miracord (I forget what model) TT to her new Yamaha 620 and the speakers to the receiver... and we'll see.

I have implored her for more and better pictures. It's driving me a little crazy, I confess.

She passed on some $30 KLH 6 at a thrift store yesterday, so I hope these work out for her.

Greg
 
Ask her to please take more pictures with the covers off, but be sure not to get fired or arrested.
 
You sure that's daylight and not something behind the grill cloth? It looks like a long white plastic something, with a black area in the center. Maybe a horn with a driver?
 
Yep, I agree. You are seeing the back wall through the grill/sock cloth. If you look closely you can just make out the curled back part of the couch.
 
They have an mbl look to them, and it looks like one of their drivers peeking through that grill. If so, they are VERY nice speakers!
 
They have an mbl look to them, and it looks like one of their drivers peeking through that grill. If so, they are VERY nice speakers!

I can't IMAGINE that they are MBLs, but ya never know.

But I was thinking the same thing when I saw that shadow inside the cloth.


Is the speaker black and white or blue and gold?
 
I dunno, there's blinding sunlight behind that couch on the right. If we were looking through the speaker, there would be blinding light coming out of it. Besides why would a speaker have holes through it?
 
exactly

[... impatiently taps finger on desk...]

I hope there's no holes through them. One thing for sure they are different looking. I hope the turn out to be something special.

I'm not at my desk so I'll tap the arm on my chair. :D

cubdog
 
Not mbl -nope :no: :no: :no:

I didn't really think they were (there would have to be quite a story behind mbls being handed down like that!), but they DO have a bit of that look to them. I'd certainly say they are Omnidirectional at least... there are/were so many odd brands that have used vertical cones to disperse mids & highs it could be almost anything. It's all loose speculation unless we can see them with the grills pulled down.
 
I've done a couple of search sessions using every keyword I can think of to describe them and haven't found bupkus.

:lurk:
 
I'm picturing something like an air motion driver flanked by some kind of dispersion lens with a midrange enclosure above and below and a low range driver at the bottom. Like am MTMW design. And there are posts at the 4 corners to hold it all together like the upper section of a Vandersteen.

And dragons. I picture dragons.
 
Back
Top Bottom