• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Help identifying which Heath Speaker this is...

babeba67

Active Member
Hi all,

Was hoping to get help identifying these Heath speakers. A friend sent me this picture, he found them in the attic of his rental. Anyone know what they might be?

Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • 3nb3k43lc5O45Tf5Pfa1q68e3721d59a31aa9.jpg
    3nb3k43lc5O45Tf5Pfa1q68e3721d59a31aa9.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 89
Register to hide this ad
They look like they might be some of the Altecs that were built for Heath - basically a Valencia in Heathkit clothing. Pull the back and see what's inside.
 
Yep, it looks like an AS-101. If so, should have an Altec woofer (either 416 or 411), an Altec 811 horn and an 806 driver...

Regards,
Gordon.
 
I thnk that cabinet may have been (believe it or not) available with Altec or Bozak drivers. Just sayin'. I'll check the 1970 Heathkit catalog I am 'remembering' tonight.
 
Just remember that one could order various configurations of raw drivers and cabinets in some of the Heath line depending on the age.

My memory is about as foggy as Mhardy's, too, on exactly when things like that changed for Heath. At least he has old catalogs.....they would be fun to look at again.

Cheers,

David
 
Look identical to my AS-101s. And yes they have Altec 411 woofers and 811/806 horn/driver combo. Very nice crossovers too- made by Heathkit.
 
Altecs

Nice find, I didn't know heathkit offered the 411 in kit form. I thought Altec only offered the 411 in the barcelona and santiagos.
 
Look identical to my AS-101s. And yes they have Altec 411 woofers and 811/806 horn/driver combo. Very nice crossovers too- made by Heathkit.
Woofers are 416-8A's(badged and painted in Heath flavor) if they're stock. 411's were only used in sealed enclosures, and AFAIK, only in factory Altec systems.

IMO, the Heath cabinets are of a substantially better build quality than their equivalent Altec counterparts, and that's not to suggest there's anything wrong with the Altec cabs. Also, the Altec components for Heath were built with every bit of pride and quality you'd expect of Altec products of that vintage. With the examples i've seen, especially on horns, Heath seemed to get the best paint and finish.

EDIT: Unlike it's twin the Altec 846B/U, AS-101's network was also configured for bi-amping from the factory.
 
I can attest to the paint quality on the Heath-branded 811 horns. Except for a bit of corrosion on one diaphragm cap, mine have perfect paint jobs. Not quite the usual Altec green, but what can you do?
 
Nice find, I didn't know heathkit offered the 411 in kit form. I thought Altec only offered the 411 in the barcelona and santiagos.

I dunno, really... I've seen one set here, that had 411s in it. And everyone associated with it swears that the woofers had never been changed.

Sounded damn good. The slight lessened sensitivity allows for a little more compensation on the top end of the 806... which really helps the high treble keep up. And having bass down to 30 Hz... that's nice!

Regards,
Gordon.
 
I dunno, really... I've seen one set here, that had 411s in it. And everyone associated with it swears that the woofers had never been changed.

Sounded damn good. The slight lessened sensitivity allows for a little more compensation on the top end of the 806... which really helps the high treble keep up. And having bass down to 30 Hz... that's nice!

Regards,
Gordon.

The easy way to tell if they were made for Heath is the "Heathkit" foil badges and battleship grey paint.
 
I dunno, really... I've seen one set here, that had 411s in it. And everyone associated with it swears that the woofers had never been changed.

Sounded damn good. The slight lessened sensitivity allows for a little more compensation on the top end of the 806... which really helps the high treble keep up. And having bass down to 30 Hz... that's nice!

Regards,
Gordon.

The 411 and 806 is a nice sounding combo, but i thought that combo has to have the eq/att. to get the best of both drivers. I'm listening to a set right now, the santiagos 878A here's a pic.
 
Last edited:
Here's what i have under the hood in my 1970 AS-101 very nice sounding speakers.
 

Attachments

  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 39
Bowtie, I can say for sure that mine are Heathkit badges that state they are 411's. It has to be stock. Maybe they offered a couple different versions.
 
In the Altec library, they state that the 411, is a medium efficiency 15" woofer, that Altec always used in a 4-8 cubic foot sealed (unported enclosure) with a high compression driver and attenuator/equalizer part number 30904. Is the surrounds on the woofer foam or accordian cloth type?
 
In the Altec library, they state that the 411, is a medium efficiency 15" woofer, that Altec always used in a 4-8 cubic foot sealed (unported enclosure) with a high compression driver and attenuator/equalizer part number 30904. Is the surrounds on the woofer foam or accordian cloth type?

I will have to pop the backs off to take a look but if I remember correctly they were accordian.
 
Back
Top Bottom